WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Air pad that dont deflate or leak?

Alright I'm about to mail in my Big Agnes Air Core pad for the 3rd stinking time. Whenever I get it back I think I'll just sell it in the gear Swap section and start over.

What should I get (6 ft tall 200lb male side sleeper)?

Images

Exped Synmat 9 enuff said. Im a 5'10 300 lb side-flopping messy sleeper. this thing is great never failed work with big agnes deer park as welll!!

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    Exped Synmat 9 enuff said. Im a 5'10 300 lb side-flopping messy sleeper. this thing is great never failed work with big agnes deer park as welll!!
    How thick is it? Does it require a pump?

Images

I like the exped ul7 or basic ul7 or basic ul7.5 They are also wider then other brands that advertise 20" width. I started a thread about exped vs thermarest a while back search it.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

77.5L x 26W x 3.5 inches thick. Integrated pump 5-10 minutes to inflate...
    http://www.rei.com/product/780369/ex...-pad-with-pump. Being big I sacrifice the weight for comfort all day long...

Images

Do they usually repair the old one or send you a replacement? I really like mine, but it does leak and I have done everything and cannot get it to stay inflated during the night.

Has anyone here done a thruhike with an Exped 7 or 9? All the reviews I'm reading for them at REI and Campmor are from people who've only used them for a very short time, or on non-hiking trips where they didn't use them every night. I'd like to know how they hold up every night for 1000+ miles.

Journal Entries

I had a problem with my B.A. mat as well and returned it. I think that the problem is in the valve stem of the mat. I returned mine and got a neoair. With my rei discount, money back and my rewards from last year it was $3.38. A whopping $157 savings. Was to good to pass up

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Buy a Neo.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    77.5L x 26W x 3.5 inches thick. Integrated pump 5-10 minutes to inflate...
    http://www.rei.com/product/780369/ex...-pad-with-pump. Being big I sacrifice the weight for comfort all day long...
    I'm looking for a mummy shaped one that'll fit my BA 15 deg bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    Do they usually repair the old one or send you a replacement? I really like mine, but it does leak and I have done everything and cannot get it to stay inflated during the night.
    They've sent me 2 replacements (that last being an upgrade from the uninsulated AC to the insulated AC).
    I really liked them except for the deflating/leaking part.

Exped Synmat UL7 almost 800 miles in going northbound. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Alright I'm about to mail in my Big Agnes Air Core pad for the 3rd stinking time. Whenever I get it back I think I'll just sell it in the gear Swap section and start over.

What should I get (6 ft tall 200lb male side sleeper)?
    Sorry to hear that. A bunch of thru hikers in 2009 experienced seam leaks in the Big Agnes air pads. You'd figure they would have kicked up the quality control by now.

I had no problems whatsoever with the ThermaRest ProLite pads on my 2009 thru hike. I always used a ground sheet under it even in a shelter and brushed off any dirt/debris before packing it. Lately, I've switched to the bombproof RidgeRest.

Check out kookabay pads, will make to your specs. Have used one w/ no problem many times over the last couple of years (but not for more than a week at a stretch).

I think Kookabay is no longer. I had a bad time trying to get a pillow this Christmas. They charged my credit card account but didn't deliver. They FINALLY retuned my money in February. Sounds like I was lucky (except I wanted that pillow!).

Check out the note at the bottom of this person's (Jolly Green Giant) blog...sounds bad. I normally wouldn't spread such words except they reflect my expereince as well:
    http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.co...ht-pillow.html

per the JGG: "Regrettably, I can no longer recommend or support Kookabay. In late 2011 and well into 2012, numerous customers came forward to say Kookabay (Ben Neubrander) had defrauded them. Concerns included taking money for products never provided and providing products with bad valves which were returned for repair and were never repaired (or returned) or refunded."

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Lately, I've switched to the bombproof RidgeRest.
    Yep, this is also my choice of pads. It is indestructible and is comfortable enough for this side sleeper. Only downer is the lack of compressibility.

I love the RidgeRest too. Thought you were an abdominal sleeper Tenderheart. Hmm... maybe that was someone else.

zlite, no deflation here......ever!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

I would say NeoAir, but sad to say, they have stopped making the originals (yellow ones) and I am not too happy about the rest of them...I don't like the cut of the XLite and the Xtherm, but unfortunately, the XLite would probably the the closest match to the original. The Trekker is way heavier and not as warm, (they should boot this one IMO) and the All Season is quite interesting, but in my neck of the woods, it would only be worth having for maybe 3 months of the year...the rest of the time it is way more weight and warmth than needed...

IMO, TAR has taken a step backwards...

So, it now sounds like the best option may be the Exped UL7, if you happen to find this still pad comfy. But, if you have been happy with your BA pads (other than the leaking bit) then this will probably be great to you. Although, I have read a few accounts of the UL7 failing and having strange tears, but at least they are still in production and can be easily replaced.

Good luck in your search...I now have to start mine all over...at least my Neo is still holding up, but fact is, nothing will last forever...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I had a BA Air Core Mummy pad a couple of years ago, but it only lasted one season before it started leaking all around the outer edge seams. Tossed it and bought one from Pacific Outdoors that lasted several years, then started leaking along the edges of the air tubes. Patched with shoe-goo and got two more seasons. Now looking at shoe-goo some more.

++ New Posts ++