WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Balls and Sunshine

This father/daughter combo completed the PCT last year and had just started the AT for 2012. Their journal was a VERY good read last year. Looking forward to following them this year. I believe Sunshine is the youngest to thruhike the PCT at age 11 and it was a VERY difficult year.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=371693

Day 1: Gooch
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread!
    Nope, not another kilt thread.

The father got his nickname while in the service. His last name had his drill sergeant calling him that.

Images

http://watch.opb.org/video/2214199608
    This is a great video of them on the PCT. She was second youngest - by just a few months. They are hiking the AT this year and plan on the CDT next year.

just watched the video, to ****ing cool man.

nice you two have that documented, one word........ awesome.

That is one impressive young lady. I have been eagerly awaiting their journal updates since I found out about e AT thru a few weeks ago.

--louis

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice post Chin Music - BTW what do you do yo keep in shape in the flat lands of Illinois? ( I spent four years NE of Chicago) - my outlet was the Dells.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Been following along, waiting for them to start. Glad it has finally come!

Sunshine has been very positive and happy in her journal entries. Dad had been a bit of a curmudgeon, complaining about all kinds of stuff, from shelters being full to hikers not being friendly. I think he wishes he were back on the PCT.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Dad had been a bit of a curmudgeon, complaining about all kinds of stuff...
    Sounds a bit like his journal entry on the PCT when he trash talked just about all of the gear manufacturers that donated gear to him! Lost a bit of my respect after that entry.

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    Sounds a bit like his journal entry on the PCT when he trash talked just about all of the gear manufacturers that donated gear to him! Lost a bit of my respect after that entry.
    I haven't read the journal, but maybe he was just being honest about what he expected vs. what he experienced.

The distance between our expectations and our experiences might be called "The Bitching Field".

The higher your expectations, the greater your disappointments.

The lower your expectations, the lower your achievements. There must be some formula here.........
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

We met them at Plum Orchard shelter and they seemed to be very personable. The shelter was already full when they got there. I'm planning on following them during their hike. Balls said that Sunshine's goal is to triple crown by next year. Hope she makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by beaver831 View Post
    We met them at Plum Orchard shelter and they seemed to be very personable. The shelter was already full when they got there. I'm planning on following them during their hike. Balls said that Sunshine's goal is to triple crown by next year. Hope she makes it.
    Yes,if she can stay injury free over the years.Some times getting hurt when your young and having it persist into adulthood can really suck.

Awesome pic of them at McAffe Knob.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12870

Their journal is one of my absolute favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Awesome pic of them at McAffe Knob.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12870
    +1 great picture indeed.

Great people, hiked with em alot on day 1 last year. They had a hard time with other hikers leaving them in the sierra, because others felt it unsafe for sunshine, yet most of the fearmongers bailed and they sailed to canada. Balls was a little upset with flippers,skippers, and quiters, in some trail registers, but who cares about other peoples hikes, as long as your happy with yours. Go B+S, you guys rock! 2011 on the PCT was a soulcrusher for ALOT of people thinking the giant snowpack would be fun!

They started 3 days after I did and must have passed me along the way I noticed their unique stamps in the registers and heard of them from other hikers. I tried to keep up but they remained 1 or 2 days ahead for weeks. It was not until Hot Springs that we were in the same town at the same time. Unfortunately I was just getting in as they were getting ready to leave. I missed out on the small packets of cheese they were handing out and had to listen to everyone as they enjoyed theirs. Bummer I love cheese especially jalapeno cheese. When I returned home I told my 11 year old daughter about what Sunshine was doing and that inspired her to get out and hike with me. Looks like I have a new hiking buddy!

At 11 nice job! I wonder if in a few years my little one would not have the same ability...hmmm...start training now? My 3 year old guy likes to hike already infact was asking to go this morning. Now to teach him to set up camp...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I thought I'd point out that I just tried to Google "Trailjournals" the auto-suggest turned it into "Trailjournals balls and sunshine".

I guess they're journal is popular this year (and well it should be based on what I've read).
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++