WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Exclamation Fontana shelter for a biker?

So y'all think it would be cool if a touring biker (me) stayed one night at the fontana shelter - yes, it's supposed to be for backpackers...but hey, i'm backpacking, i just happen to be riding a bike.

Sure, I see no problem at all.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

It's a pretty big shelter and unless I'm mistaken I see know where that says the shelter is for hikers only.

Last time I stayed at the "Fontana Hilton" there was a touring bicyclist who stayed at the shelter the same night.

I meet many long distance touring bicyclists during my hikes especially out west and mid west. IMO, these folks and long distance hikers have much in common and tend to respect other!

Roll on my long distance traveling amigo.

go for it and dont tke **** from hikers who will probly thnk they are the sole owners of it ha have a nice ride where ever it is ur going..

I don't think there would be a problem. The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega has tour bikers all the time. Josh and Leigh hike and bike, and welcome everyone. Why wouldn't everyone share?

hi! my name is memory. member the sign at the dam?everyone will be shot on site.lol.
    matthewski

It wont be a problem. There are a lot of folks that car camp at that shelter too. It is a great staging location for people from all over the SE to drive to and spend the night before heading into the Smokies. Ive even used it as a base camp area when doing trail maintenance in the area.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    It wont be a problem. There are a lot of folks that car camp at that shelter too. It is a great staging location for people from all over the SE to drive to and spend the night before heading into the Smokies. Ive even used it as a base camp area when doing trail maintenance in the area.
    okay, but those arent the rules . at all. i feel if i speak i will be unheard. so i want you to call the park and ask the current rule on non thruhikers staying at fontana dam shelter. and you might ask whats posted . i belive you will learn important rules and more importantly , not to give out info your not sure of unless you made it up witch is fun. but missinforming newbees is serious bad magic. just a heads up hiker.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    okay, but those arent the rules . at all. i feel if i speak i will be unheard. so i want you to call the park and ask the current rule on non thruhikers staying at fontana dam shelter. and you might ask whats posted . i belive you will learn important rules and more importantly , not to give out info your not sure of unless you made it up witch is fun. but missinforming newbees is serious bad magic. just a heads up hiker.
    Matty, I can forgive and overlook your spelling, but please, PLEASE, make friends with your shift key when beginning a sentence. You're the best, bro. Keep caring.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    so i want you to call the park and ask the current rule on non thruhikers staying at fontana dam shelter.
    In what "park" do you think the Fontana shelter is located?

We let homeless bums stay in the shelters; I guess we can let a biker

To my knowledge I don't think there are rules involving the use by bikers or even auto travelers, I'm not sure the length of stay rule applies, as within the GSMNP jurisdiction, since the shelter is really not in the park (not 100% sure on this). Technically, I guess you're doing a really short hike.

Well... IF you call the GSMNP, they will tell you that they dont have jurisdiction at the Fontana Hilton shelter. It is OWNED by TVA.

The shelter is not JUST for thru hikers. Section hikers and weekenders are allowed to stay there too.

But, you can do like mweinstone.... grab a beer, light the pipe, build a big ole bonfire and wait for someone to come ask ya some silly questions. If you get thrown in jail, give me a call and I will give you Matty's phone number for bail money. <lol>

The other option... shoot me a PM and I can tell you where there is a GREAT camping spot that is bike accessible and not too far from Fontana.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Well... IF you call the GSMNP, they will tell you that they dont have jurisdiction at the Fontana Hilton shelter.
    Or they might just tell you that there aren't any hotels in the park!!!

Better yet, call 1-800-HILTONS and see if you can make a reservation.

sober 4 months sept for a shot with jack at the warmer. witch i planned months in advance.i only smoke rollys these days. american spirit. ive never made a bondfire in my life but to burn stumps removed from shelter areas and split wood bark from wood chopping.
    matthewski

I went through there and a bunch of non hiker types were staying there en route to Bonaroo. Probably OK for a bike rider to hang for a night. Might want to contact TVA/GSMNP to be sure though...

Do you need a reservation with the TVA?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhill7:1289310
    Do you need a reservation with the TVA?
    No..........

++ New Posts ++