WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking AT in Maine near Perham Stream logging road.

We are day hiking the AT. In Maine there is a section from the top of Saddleback Mtn. to Caribou Valley that is approx 17-18 miles of strenuous hiking. We really can't backpack it overnight and as I was looking at a map there is a road, Perham Stream logging road that crossed the AT in the middle of this stretch. I have heard that someone was able to drive this road with a Dodge caravan but it was back in 2005. This road is reached via Rt 142 north from the town of Phillips and then onto the East Madrid Road. Usually when there is logging going on there the road will be fine, and also with Irene coming through last fall I wonder how it faired. So my question is does anyone know of this road and what the condition of it is and would it be passable? Or is there a way to find out if there will be logging this spring and summer there?
    We would be very greatful for any help with this question.
    Thank you
    Angie

I think that property was bought out by the NPS recently and they bought a bunch of conversation easements for the large amount of the area. I expect a gate would go up fairly quickly. Years ago when i hiked the section the majority of the road was a trench. The best shot may be to go on the MATC site and figure out who is the section maintainer (may be the famous Dave Field) and ask them, as I expect they are acutely aware of the condition of their access points.

Images

When were you planning on going? This is mud season right now and yes loggers are out there during the spring and summer. Most logging roads are kept in good shape as its a big industry here. Also its been a fairly "dry" mud season so you have a good chance the roads are good.

I wonder if that was me in the caravan back in 2005
    skinny d

Thanks peakbagger for your help. I'll contact MATC and see if they know more. No, I don't think it was you with the caravan. It was someone from PA working on the AT.

Last I knew, that road was "put to rest" a few years back and several of the culverts were washed out making travel with anything less than a four wheel drive vehicle impossible. Indeed, even a high clearance truck may not be able to get in. Contact Dave Field, Overseer of Lands for MATC at [email protected] Hope this helps. www.100milewilderness.info

Thank You Quadzilla, I have contacted Dave Field and he is helping me find out info on this section.
    Thanks for your help.
    Angie

Someone sent me a private message but I can't see who it's from. Thanks whoever it was for your input. I think we found a way to cut that section in half but now I find out that the Caribou Valley Road is probably pretty bad especially for Escapes or RAV 4's. We'll just have to walk down that road to Rt 27.

The Caribou Valley road may technically be passable but its not worth the risk as the cost fo get your car hauled out would be significant. Some folks drive regular cars to the AT trailhead but most decide the washouts on the bridges approaches and the missing/rotted bridge deck as a good place to stop. After the AT crossing it is reported that the trees are growing into the road to the point where the paint on the car takes a hit. Whatever you do dont try to take the road in from the north the the Navy Survival training camp, they reportedly really dont like company

We hope to get up there in Aug or Sept and we will just go alittle earlier and check out the CVR. When I do I'll put on whiteblaze the condition of the road. I agree it's not worth tearing up the car or getting someone in there to haul us out. It's easier just to walk it or just going over the Crockers.
    Thanks anyways.

Images

Try over at this site. There are lots of Peakbraggers who use the CVR for access. www.vfft.org
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

++ New Posts ++