WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best way to get to Katahdin trail head?

I'm doing a SOBO thru hike in late June or early July depending on my schedule and Baxter State Park's schedule of opening but I was just wondering what is the best way for me to commute to the trail head that isn't going to break the bank? I live in Central Jersey!

Rent a car from Hertz and drop it off at Bangor Airport; this was about $100 dollars 3 years ago, not including gas; the drive is about 9 hours. Then take Cyr Bus lines from the Concord bus terminal (less than 1 miles from the airport) to Medway.

If you want to do it cheaper, take a bus to Boston (could be under $10 from Newark or New York if you are lucky; there are half a dozen companies doing this). Then take Concord Trailways or Greyhound to Bangor; they connect with the above mentioned daily Cyr bus.

From Medway, take either a taxi or contact http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/ ($70 for shuttle, one night stay, and breakfast)

Be nice to yourself and use US Airways to fly LGA to BGR and then use nehiker's directions to medway
    http://shopping.usairways.com/Flight...Itinerary.aspx
    There is probably a shuttle bus service from central NJ to LGA
    If not then take a bus to the PABT
    Take the uptown A/C train
    Change at 59th St for the uptown # 1 train
    Get off at
    Cathedral Parkway
    (110 Street) /
    Broadway
    Use the one transfer on your Metrocard to board the M-60 bus to LGA

There is only one Cyr Bus a day from Bangor to Medway; 6:30 PM. So plan your connections to Bangor accordingly. I arrived 30 min. late and had to stay over until the next evening at the airport Hilton. The Concord bus terminal is near the airport. Appalachian Trail Lodge will pick you up at the Medway stop and bring you to Millinocket; their package is well worth the price. Millinocket has large grocery stores from which you can provision your first leg.

I really like taking the taxi into the park instead of piddling around in town. The problem with the AT Lodge is they shuttle you into the park kind of late in the morning. Katahdin for most folks is a full day adventure and I like to get an early start.

I don't know why the AT Lodge doesn't run their SOBO park shuttle in the afternoon when they pick up NOBOs. That would give folks a night in town to sleep late and recover from traveling and buy last minute supplies, then go to the park and sleep their second night there, then hike Katahdin with a early start.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    I really like taking the taxi into the park instead of piddling around in town. The problem with the AT Lodge is they shuttle you into the park kind of late in the morning. Katahdin for most folks is a full day adventure and I like to get an early start.

I don't know why the AT Lodge doesn't run their SOBO park shuttle in the afternoon when they pick up NOBOs. That would give folks a night in town to sleep late and recover from traveling and buy last minute supplies, then go to the park and sleep their second night there, then hike Katahdin with a early start.

The AT lodge shuttled three others and I to the Kathadin Strem Campground to drop off our packs and to the Abol Trail trailhead before 8:00 AM. That was not late to me.

I do shuttles and overnight accommodations as well as a mid-wilderness resupply along the Jo-Mary road. I have been providing hiker services since 1977. Visit my site at www.100milewilderness.info

Just fyi, I've been researching airfare from Florida and I can fly into Portland for about $300 cheaper than flying into Bangor. It appears the bus that leaves Bangor at 5:40 to Medway is the same one that picks up in Portland at 2:45. 3 more hours on a bus doesn't thrill me but to save $300? Of course the bus ticket is $25 more.
    Thanks for the heads up on some of the shuttle services and the timeliness of them.
    Do the shuttles drop you off at the park entrance or get you as close to some of the camp sites?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doglvr View Post
    Just fyi, I've been researching airfare from Florida and I can fly into Portland for about $300 cheaper than flying into Bangor. It appears the bus that leaves Bangor at 5:40 to Medway is the same one that picks up in Portland at 2:45. 3 more hours on a bus doesn't thrill me but to save $300? Of course the bus ticket is $25 more.
    Thanks for the heads up on some of the shuttle services and the timeliness of them.
    Do the shuttles drop you off at the park entrance or get you as close to some of the camp sites?

Cheaper is normal flying both in or out.

125 interstate miles from Portland to Bangor. That bus passes me on the interstate. Unless they make a pile of stops, I can't see 3 hours. Lots of trees to look at...

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I do shuttles and overnight accommodations as well as a mid-wilderness resupply along the Jo-Mary road. I have been providing hiker services since 1977. Visit my site at www.100milewilderness.info
    Quad, this is something that can be sent as a PM. This is not the place for advertising - you can buy advertising on the home page - and you're probably going to be kicked off WhiteBlaze if you continue this. Just my $0.02.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikeosborne View Post
    I'm doing a SOBO thru hike in late June or early July depending on my schedule and Baxter State Park's schedule of opening but I was just wondering what is the best way for me to commute to the trail head that isn't going to break the bank? I live in Central Jersey!
    Greyhound to Bangor - CYR Bus to Medway - hitch or call local hiker services to get to Katahdin Stream Campground.

It was only $89/person to get from Michigan to Bangor, surely New Jersey will be less expansive than that. Hope this helps, see you out there!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by doglvr View Post
    Just fyi, I've been researching airfare from Florida and I can fly into Portland for about $300 cheaper than flying into Bangor. It appears the bus that leaves Bangor at 5:40 to Medway is the same one that picks up in Portland at 2:45. Do the shuttles drop you off at the park entrance or get you as close to some of the camp sites?
    Not the same bus, but the Cyr Bus used to wait for the arriving connections from Boston at the Greyhound and Concord Trailways bus terminals in Bangor.

The shuttles (at least the ATLodge) drop you off wherever you want.

Flying from NJ to Portland and then taking a bus is unlikely to save much, if any, time over driving or taking a bus, and is certainly more of a hassle.

The shuttle had better drop you off at Katahdin Stream or Abol as its long walk from the park gate to either one and given that the park road is abotu 1.5 lanes wide (just enough to pass in some spots) I sure wouldnt walk on it any more than I had to.

++ New Posts ++