Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, Michigan
    Posts
    280

    Default Permethrin Experts Help

    Anyone know where to purchase permethrin 40% impregnation kits?
    Standard topical applications are 0.5% permethrin.

    NOTE (taken from link below):

    Treat your uniform with the standard military clothing repellent
    (permethrin). Use the IDA kit (NSN 6840-01-345-0237). This product is
    a permethrin impregnation kit that contains 40-percent permethrin. One kit
    treats one uniform, and the treatment lasts through approximately 50
    washes (generally considered the combat life of the uniform).

    http://www.crdamc.amedd.army.mil/saf...lentSystem.pdf

  2. #2
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Here is the stuff I use: http://shop.parknicollet.com/Sawyer-.../dp/B005VQA5H6

    It has been 100% effective for me.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-15-2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    You can also use this and dilute it yourself. http://www.amazon.com/Control-Soluti...7679686&sr=1-2

    There are other threads on here on the topic. Short answer is that the heavily petroleum-based ones are not really suitable for clothing and they are odoriferous. I used the above one and diluted it to about 0.8%.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2009
    Location
    Ashburnham, MA
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,925
    Images
    2

    Default

    The two treatments are almost equivalent. The military treatment contains 9ml of 40% permethrin and is diluted by adding 450 ml of water. This is about 0.8% permethrin vs. 0.5% for the commercial sawyer treatment. Reading the military manuals: how long the treatment lasts depends on the fabric of the clothing. 100% cotton or 50% cotton lasts longest. Waterproof fabric won't work because the solution doesn't soak in. I'd guess treatments of nylon or polyester will not last as long as treatment of cotton.
    http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/f...uides/tg36.pdf
    Look at pp. 26 to 43. I haven't read the whole thing, but it looks like a useful document.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2009
    Location
    Ashburnham, MA
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,925
    Images
    2

    Default

    Jeffmeh was too quick for me. Jeffmeh, ChinMusic and the military are all using about the same concentration of permethrin once it's diluted.
    Winds: thanks for that link; it leads to some interesting reading.

  6. #6
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    I've read other threads about folks wanting to make their own batches from a more concentrated start and just don't get it. The regular (.5%) stuff works. Works 100% for me and I've been in some nasty tick environments. And it's cheap.

    The label says 6 weeks. I think 1 month instead for a thru. I just think that abuse (read sweat) that a thruhikers clothing goes through has to subtract a bit from the 6 weeks, of what I assume to be "normal use".
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    Here's concentrated permethrin that doesn't smell bad.
    http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page275.html

    The advantage of concentrated permethrin is that it's somewhat easier to reapply on the trail. I can't find commercial products like the 0.5% Sawyer spray, and even if I could, I'd have a lot left over. The concentrated permethrin could be mailed out to me. It's easy to find spray bottles, so all I'd have to do is mix it and reapply.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-16-2011
    Location
    On the trail
    Posts
    3,439
    Images
    3

    Default

    You can find a product called Hotshot Bedbug and Flea Control. It is .2% Permethrin and you buy it by the gallon for about $10. I used it and worked like a charm. Not a single tick on me in SoCal on the PCT. I soaked my shirt, pants, socks and gaiters and let it dry. Smelled a bit chemically for a couple of days but it the smell went away.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2009
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    I just treated my pants, a couple of shirts and my boonie for the season. 8 ounces of 10% permethrin purchased from CaliforniaPetPharmacy.com, cut into almost 2 gallons of water. Soaked my clothes, wrung them out and left them to dry flat in the sun. After being dry for a day, I washed them in plain water, then put them out in the sun again. No strong chemical smell and this exact same treatment worked great last year, and lasted the whole season through repeated washings.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2009
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    I said this on another thread, and it bears repeating here: whatever you use, it should contain ONLY permethrin. Any other active ingredients make it potentially dangerous to use this way.

    I wound up buying it online because this year I couldn't find the 'pure' stuff at my usual sources. Everything that contained permethrin also contained one or more other active insecticides or pesticides.

  11. #11
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    66
    Posts
    5,782
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    ... and left them to dry flat in the sun. ...
    Laying them flat is advised (as opposed to hanging), if possible. But in the sun? UV light exposure is one of the two factors (the other being washing) that reduces the life-time and effectiveness of Permethrin. I keep mine out of the sun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    ... 8 ounces of 10% permethrin ... cut into almost 2 gallons of water. ...
    That cuts it to less than .5%. Is that what you meant to do?

    Rain Man

    .
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-09-2012 at 19:31.
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  12. #12
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,412
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Some here are in a field of grey.... what advice here is regulated and possibly near illegal. I am not a mod and IDGAD so here goes when in the process of apply you need to read this FIRST

    Respiratory protection: Not usually required. Avoid inhalation of vapors.
    Ventilation: Local Exhaust: As required to meet exposure guidelines. Special: Not applicable.
    Mechanical: As required to meet exposure guidelines. Other: Not applicable.
    Protective Gloves: Chemical resistant.
    Eye Protection: Face shield, safety glasses or goggles.
    Other protective clothing or equipment: Wear long pants, long sleeved shirt or other body covering clothes. Avoid skin or eye
    contact.
    Work/Hygienic practices: Wash thoroughly after handling and before eating. Do not wear contaminated clothing.


    I am just saying - take the precautions, I don't want you to get hurt. It is a concentrate.- YES I AM IN PROFESSIONAL PEST CONTROL.

    So you have to let the clothing dry for several days.
    For others - How is it that stealth gets a lock and this stuff -get's a pass?

    Please end the thread we are not here to educate on chemicals.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-09-2012 at 19:47.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  13. #13
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2005
    Location
    Virginia, 10 miles from the AT near SNP
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,470
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Please end the thread we are not here to educate on chemicals.
    Discussing chemicals to RX clothing isn't promoting illegal activity.

    It's elementary rules, Watson.







    Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker


  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2009
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Laying them flat is advised (as opposed to hanging), if possible. But in the sun? UV light exposure is one of the two factors (the other being washing) that reduces the life-time and effectiveness of Permethrin. I keep mine out of the sun.
    Rain Man

    .

    Didn't know that. All I know is that they dried faster that way. Total exposure was a couple of hours, about what they'd get on a long day on the trail.


    That cuts it to less than .5%. Is that what you meant to do? I guesstimated it was less than 2 gallons, because I didn't measure precisely. I'm guessing here, but it was probably more than a gallon, and definitely less than two. Call it 1.5?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, Michigan
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Although I am still curious as to the concentration enhancing and prolonging use, thus making it superior - I will default to the 0.5% spray.

    I did read some reviews that recommended to get a spray bottle and not use a standard can as they tend to clog (?).

    Thanks for all the input here.

  16. #16
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,412
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Discussing chemicals to RX clothing isn't promoting illegal activity.

    It's elementary rules, Watson.
    Application without knowledge and license is pure folly.... my post was more about education and safety,

    Look I have had more close calls than you no matter what you say.... I am advocating using your brain to the thread starter... My heart is in the right place.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Didn't know that. All I know is that they dried faster that way. Total exposure was a couple of hours, about what they'd get on a long day on the trail.


    That cuts it to less than .5%. Is that what you meant to do? I guesstimated it was less than 2 gallons, because I didn't measure precisely. I'm guessing here, but it was probably more than a gallon, and definitely less than two. Call it 1.5?
    Squeezing it out probably left less permethrin on the clothing too. Did you save the extra diluted permethrin? You can always use that to spray on your clothing to renew and strengthen the treatment.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2009
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Squeezing it out probably left less permethrin on the clothing too. Did you save the extra diluted permethrin? You can always use that to spray on your clothing to renew and strengthen the treatment.
    I did save the leftovers because I might want to treat more clothing (or re-treat) later in the season.

  19. #19
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    66
    Posts
    5,782
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    For others - How is it that stealth gets a lock and this stuff -get's a pass?
    Depends on which version of "stealth" is being promoted/described "how to." If it means camping illegally, then it should be blocked, as promoting illegal activities is prohibited by the User Agreement. Same for "packing heat" illegally. Should be blocked. Period.

    Rain Man

    .
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-10-2012 at 09:23. Reason: grammar correction
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  20. #20
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    66
    Posts
    5,782
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Didn't know that. All I know is that they dried faster that way. Total exposure was a couple of hours, about what they'd get on a long day on the trail.
    I don't know if it makes a difference being wet in the one instance, but being dry on the trail. I just know the official Sawyer video on YouTube mentioned the two factors that reduce effectiveness (washing and UV light). I do know that once it "sets" by drying, it changes in some critical manner. For instance, it's no longer a danger to kill cats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    That cuts it to less than .5%. Is that what you meant to do? I guesstimated it was less than 2 gallons, because I didn't measure precisely. I'm guessing here, but it was probably more than a gallon, and definitely less than two. Call it 1.5?
    Diluting 10% to .5% is a 20-to-1 factor. So, 8 ounces in 160 oz would give .5%. One gallon is 128 oz. Mixing 8 oz in 1.5 gallons (192 oz) would yield just over .4%. Perhaps that's close enough? And perhaps that's better than erring on the high side?

    Rain Man

    P.S. Since the thread heading reads "Permethrin Experts Help," perhaps I should just butt out! NOT an expert at all.

    .
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-10-2012 at 09:23. Reason: math correction
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •