WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default hike planning > schoolwork ?

I am writing this out of frustration towards myself. It seems every time I sit down to work on schoolwork, I end up here or on another site looking up information about gear, future hikes, food etc. Just a moment ago I was reading some articles on vegetarianism because that's what a current assignment relates to. Within a minute I am on minimus.biz looking at different individual packets of olive oil. I know I'm not alone..

But seriously, any college students out there completely consumed by hike planning that schoolwork is seeming second priority?! Ridiculous, I know. Writing a paper isn't fun..but reading endless conversations on WB is. Help me...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Learn what you can when you can. The trail is not going anywhere.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

College itself is just a huge battle of attention span vs. what else you can do.

Set hike planning as a reward for yourself. Work for 45 minutes, hike stuff for 10.

Default hike planning > schoolwork ?

Im exactly the same! One more year for me. Starting NOBO May 2013 when I graduate.

Keep researching the trail. C's get degrees!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warpzilla View Post
    Keep researching the trail. C's get degrees!!!
    And degrees get... debt. That's about it.

Fun fact: it's cheaper for me to do my thru-hike than pay rent and car insurance and continue trying to find a supposed "entry level" job that I'm "qualified" for.

Focus, focus, focus...one step at a time. That's what both school work and hiking require. As a suggestion, devote your best to each one and you'll come out on top. Split your focus and energy, well ... you get the picture. Goal setting and achieving success is each area IS achievable. And it's so true - the trail will always be there... School is an amazing opportunity as well. Ultimately you make the choice. All the best with your journey.

Well, which packet of olive oil is easiest to open?

School is not instant gratification, nor is the trail. Learn to concentrate on what's important in the now that will benefit you in the future, and you'll find that skill helps later when you're walking the AT.

Sound advice here, as well as some expected humor. I'll work on finding the balance between WB and school

As a previous post mentioned - the trail isnt going anywhere. But wait a minute..either is school..uh oh..

Images

School will certainly go somewhere if you neglect it though...

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    College itself is just a huge battle of attention span vs. what else you can do.

Set hike planning as a reward for yourself. Work for 45 minutes, hike stuff for 10.

I absolutely agree with this. Use hiking preparation as a reward for a chunk of schoolwork.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

SOBO 2013

My personal solution is to relate all of my papers to the AT... i find that most instructors find it informative and very interesting. It is very easy to incorporate instances such as vegetarianism into a paper about the AT just look at your trip in different perspectives, what if you were a vegetarian on the trail? For all you know you may discover some better options for when you finally hit the trail! Hope this helps your grades as much as it has helped me and maybe we will cross paths on the trail im SOBO 2013!

A vegan olive oil packet which is easy to open. That shouldn't be a problem!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    A vegan olive oil packet which is easy to open. That shouldn't be a problem!
    How about one where the color matches your pack? Ramp up the difficulty a bit?

Its called discipline. I made a deal with myself that I have to my schoolwork first. Im also a 36 year old student so my priorities are a little different. Get your s*** done first, plane and simple. Id also work more on actually getting out to hike instead of cyber hiking. Im more active right now because Im about to head out. That will start to die off soon enough.

And yes, color coordination is very important on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco:1276771
    Its called discipline. I made a deal with myself that I have to my schoolwork first. Im also a 36 year old student so my priorities are a little different. Get your s*** done first, plane and simple. Id also work more on actually getting out to hike instead of cyber hiking. Im more active right now because Im about to head out. That will start to die off soon enough.

And yes, color coordination is very important on the trail!
    Being 20, discipline is a tough one :P but the semester is over in a month so I am cracking down, honest! I do plenty of running and biking but hiking is a weekend thing as I am not close to any 'real' trails. Cyber hiking is my time filler.

Images

I'm with ya HeavyPack - except I'm 27 and trying to finish a thesis by mid-May. You gotta have some distractions... now, back to writing...

So much good advice above!
    AT research = reward
    Study time certain percent / AT time certain percent

This is a good way to keep an obsession from harming other parts of your life! (Not that this is a bad obsession, just that it needs to be kept in its place ...in perspective to the rest of our priorities.)

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Question. What are you going to use the Olive Oil for? I understand cooking.... but what in the hell are you going to be cooking to justify carrying Olive Oil?
    -Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++