WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Reducing base weight....slow steady progress

For the sake of this thread, I will be talking in terms of Big-4-weight. Pack/Shelter/Sleep System (temps 40° and over)

Four years ago, my Big 4 was hovering just over 15 lbs. I am embarrassed to discuss the rest of my pack weight because it borders on the obcene.

I switched out my tent for a hammock and that improvement in comfort and weight savings really kicked off my quest for a lighter backpack. My current B4 (not as applicable to hammocks, but equivalent) is 8 lbs.

34.2 oz ULA Circuit (custom)
    28.5 oz Hammock and suspension
    22.3 oz All weather tarp
    29.2 oz Top and bottom quilts

It is not perfect, but is roughly half where I was a short time ago. My plan is to replace some of these items (lighter hammock and cuben tarp), and I should be down in the 6 lb range. Winter weights are only slightly more, as though I add heavier quilts, I use a lighter, non-mosquito net hammock. Ends up adding only a net 10 oz (again, B4)

As for the rest of my gear? Well let's just say that I am limiting the changes of clothing, and taking less unnecessary items, ligher water containers stoves and such. My "extra" gear is now less than 1/3 what it used to be. I saved the most by simply leaving unnecessary items at home. Better food selection has resulted in double savings (lighter food weight and fewer and lighter cookware items). Overall savings without spending a penny? About 18-20 lbs.

Finding lighter gear (pack, quilts, etc) was much costlier. But the quality of the gear I now have is much superior to what I had before, and has so far saved me nearly 8lbs in my B4 and another 3-4 in other gear.

With a 15 lb loaded summer weight (3-4 day trek), I am not exactly "Ultra Light" (and don't pretend to be), but man is there a difference between 45 and 15 lbs on your back!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Good work!

I feel like the area of diminishing returns on going lighter for summer is an overall base around 8 lbs, so you're not too far off that!

My Big 4 is at 12 lbs.so when gear buying time comes around,I can cut that down to about 8-9lbs.just need the moola.Good job!

Congrats on getting your big four down. It is a great feeling to know that you are carrying much less weight than when you started (I've gone from 25 lbs to under 10 lbs with a 4.6 lb big 4!). For where you are at now, I would def. save and splurge on the cuben tarp. That should easily knock a pound+ off your big four.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Congrats on getting your big four down. It is a great feeling to know that you are carrying much less weight than when you started (I've gone from 25 lbs to under 10 lbs with a 4.6 lb big 4!). For where you are at now, I would def. save and splurge on the cuben tarp. That should easily knock a pound+ off your big four.
    Yea, new hammock will only knock off 4-5 oz (though it is more comfortable!). Cuben tarp will drop me from 22 oz down to under 8, for that predicted 1 lb savings! I do love my large bulletproof tarp, but I am ready to go with something a little smaller and a lot lighter. FWIW the 1.5 lbs I will be dropping will run roughly $500. Ouch!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Yea, new hammock will only knock off 4-5 oz (though it is more comfortable!). Cuben tarp will drop me from 22 oz down to under 8, for that predicted 1 lb savings! I do love my large bulletproof tarp, but I am ready to go with something a little smaller and a lot lighter. FWIW the 1.5 lbs I will be dropping will run roughly $500. Ouch!
    See that's where I get lost.I just don't see spending that kind of money to save 1 1/2 lbs........righteous bucks,but hey,HYOH right?

Images

First let me say, I don't pack a light or ultralight load. I usually carry between 32-38 pounds (total pack weight), but I plan to work in that direction...

I agree that the expense of lighter gear can seem crazy, but I think the calculation of $$ spent per pound saved is the wrong way to look at the cost. To me a better way of looking at this is the total pounds shaved X miles carried (obviously a future projection at the time of purchase)... Good quality (i.e. durable) and light weight gear carried for one weekend trip probably isn't worth the cost for a single trip... But if that same gear is used for several years and many, many miles on the trail, the cost is diluted with every step you take. It also probably saves the equivalent value in ibuprophen and knee replacements. At least this is how I will justify it when I replace my gear with much lighter options.
    Biggie

Working on Forestry Grad schol

my UL gear is far cheaper than most conventional setups.

Less stuff generally costs less money.

Garlic
    Images

One number I like to look at for UL packing is the payloadackweight ratio. My old 6 pound Camp Trails pack would routinely carry 45 or 50 pounds, for a ratio of about 8:1. My UL pack, the 9-ounce Gossamer Gear G-5 (discontinued) carries 25 pounds when pressed with extra water, for a ratio of over 40:1. As you get a lighter load, you may consider a lighter pack, as well. The ULA is excellent and will last many miles, but it is a little heavier than the frameless options that aren't very expensive. (I got my G-5 on closeout for $80 and it's lasted well over 3000 miles so far. I wish I'd bought several.)

The final element that got my base load under 10 pounds was going stoveless, and that allowed me to use the frameless pack which saved yet another pound. I plateaued at 8 pounds (for serious three season 15F comfort), so I'm with ScottP--that's the point of diminishing returns for me, too. At eight pounds, I can take the pack off while walking, take off a jacket and stuff it in the pack without breaking stride. That's light enough.

UL is less expensive in my experience, as well. My entire (not just big 4) 8-pound AT kit cost about $800. The only thing that could cost serious money is the down bag, but I got my excellent Marmot Helium 15 for $160, a screaming deal at SteepandCheap.com. Deals are out there if you're lucky and persistent.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Note to above post: If you type a colon followed by the letter "p", you get a weird emoticon. Please replace the weird emoticon above with a colon and a "p".
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I am very happy with my current weight. And $$$ are not easy to come by. But I have made each of my more expensive selections very thoughtfully. For example, when I upgrade my hammock, I will be replacing a lesser quality (but thus far very functional) hammock with one with is much more comfortable; considering that I am happy with my current hammock, that is saying something. The weight savings, though minimal, is a welcome bonus.

When I selected my Circuit, I did so for a number of reasons. I was unhappy with the comfort (and weight) of my Aether 70. Not knowing how low I might eventually be able to take my pack weight (or how heavy I may have to go under unforseen circumstances), I chose the most comfortable and lightest weight pack I could find with a full internal stay system. The ULA Circuit was it, and I can say that I neither regret the decision nor would do it any differently, even if it would get me a lower weight. I love my Circuit.

In spite of seeking a much lighter pack weight (I was over 45 lbs, couldn't realistically go anywhere but down...), I am still comfort driven in my backpack pursuits. By going with a hammock, I have added significantly to my comfort level, while camping once or twice a month has provide plenty of opportunity to refine my setup and gain experience and confidence. I am a firm believer that confidence and experience, more than throwing money at the problem, provide the opportunities to lower pack weight.

I just brock 16lbs (16.3), Weeeeeee
    Tech-Na-Bill

Buffalo Skipper, $500. Ouch!
    Maybe you could make your own, sewn and taped.

ZPacks sells cuben and tape.

Ounces are the little-death

Getting a sewing maching for my birthday this year and I plan on making a new backpack (already made my current one) and a new shelter.
    Can't be more excited for the project and the money savings.

( just checking my colon and pee)........It is likely I'll be going lighter out of nessessity,I am stuborn,but my back is f****** killing me so.......(Yep ":"and "p" working good here too).

Stir Fry

So when are you ultra light. 15 lb is dam good. The only way to get much lighter is to go to the ground, and use just a tarp. There are several other things that save oz but but they are personal decisions.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I have finally reached my goal:
    big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. 34 oz
    Neoair pad. 27 oz
    Marmot Plas 30. 23 oz
    ULA Circuit. 34 oz

Just a little over 7 lbs.

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    So when are you ultra light. 15 lb is dam good. The only way to get much lighter is to go to the ground, and use just a tarp. There are several other things that save oz but but they are personal decisions.

There isn't a distinct line for UL. It always fluctuates as technology and design improves and culture changes.
    Personally, I consider a 15lb baseweight "light" and could easily make a ton of changes to a 15lb gear selection and drop half the weight with no comfort sacrifices.
    Once you get to one weight, it can be hard to imagine ever needing as much as some people take.

My base weight is 11 lbs. after a couple years of trimming.

#1. Marmot Arroyo 27oz.
    #2. Exped UL7 16.5oz.
    #3. Tarp Tent Notch 27oz.
    #4. ULA Catalyst 48oz.

I bought the Catalyst 7-8 years ago to cut weight off my old Gregory pack. I've considered some of the lighter packs but the Catalyst is comfy and everytime I get ready to pull the trigger I hesitate. My weight is low enough now that I'm not sure another pound is all that meaningful.

64 oz pack (free)
    17 oz bag ($300)
    4.6 oz liner ($60)
    19 oz pad ($50)
    crazy/splurge 11.5 oz pillow (gift)
    currently making 28 oz tent w/ground sheet ($142)

Total 9 lbs, $552. I could get big weight savings if I could score a lighter pack for free! I hear ya on shedding the lbs. It's the reason I'm sewing the tent, back-up for crowded shelters people or rodents!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++