WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What's your best cozy material?

I've made a lot of cozies out of reflectix, but it has it's drawbacks. I'm just wondering what everyone else uses for cozy material nowadays.

Journal Entries
    Images

strange I would want a camp pillow that is modified for cozy... the pillow would kind of suck but its squishable.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Old blue foam pads and duct tape.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

i use old wet suits(neoprene)

Images

I have a super small OR beanie that I got off Steep and Cheap for like $2 (presumably because of the size). I'm going to cut it apart and make it into a cozy for my pot. Just gotta get around to figuring out the right pattern.

I made mind out of a Silver Windsheild Sun Sheild from walmart. I use Foodsaver quart bags to cook in/ eat out of. So I uses one with a couple bandanas in it as a stencil, cut it out , turnned silver side in, and ductaped the edges. It works great, is lightweight , and takes up almost no space. I tried it outwith a fist full of elbow mac. and 1cup of boiling water. I made a flap on mine like a envelope, and placed the bag in hte coozie "Before" you add water.. then seal the bag partialy and fold the flap down . Let stand for 5 min. The food will continue to cook inside the coozie. I like to seal a small baggie of sauce , and place in coozie beside the water and noodle pouch, The heat from the water will warm the sauce till you drain the h2o off. Then the coozie is easy to handle and you wont burn your hjands..

Quote Originally Posted by Tharwood View Post
    I made mind out of a Silver Windsheild Sun Sheild from walmart. I use Foodsaver quart bags to cook in/ eat out of. So I uses one with a couple bandanas in it as a stencil, cut it out , turnned silver side in, and ductaped the edges. It works great, is lightweight , and takes up almost no space. I tried it outwith a fist full of elbow mac. and 1cup of boiling water. I made a flap on mine like a envelope, and placed the bag in hte coozie "Before" you add water.. then seal the bag partialy and fold the flap down . Let stand for 5 min. The food will continue to cook inside the coozie. I like to seal a small baggie of sauce , and place in coozie beside the water and noodle pouch, The heat from the water will warm the sauce till you drain the h2o off. Then the coozie is easy to handle and you wont burn your hjands..
    I freezer bag cook too. I can't imagine going back to pots and pans. I've got a walmart sun shield sitting here and I might just drag out the sewing machine. I've also got an old pair of neoprene chest waders. Ideas, ideas

Images

What was the drawback of reflectix? That's what I made mine out of, then sewed a woodland camo rip stop over it and finished the edges with grosgrain. Looks cool and works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tharwood View Post
    You got a pic of this? A YouTube vid would be even better.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    What was the drawback of reflectix? That's what I made mine out of, then sewed a woodland camo rip stop over it and finished the edges with grosgrain. Looks cool and works great!

Again, pic or vid?
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post

Well that's not exactly Reflectix anymore is it? After all that it should be pretty good.

The problem with Reflectix is that the bubbles deflate - my guess is that they over expand and leak at high altitude and then are pretty flat when I get back home.

I just bought some 2mm neoprene from the local fabric store. I'm wondering if I should sew or glue this stuff. Any input on working with neoprene would be appreciated.

i just sewed em up with dental floss

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I have a super small OR beanie ......
    1+ ....... Yep, I use my Columbia fleece beanie.

Turns out that sewing neoprene is no big deal. I did a pretty nice job with my el-cheapo Singer. Neoprene is an excellent insulator. I made a GSI Infinity cup insulator and a quart-size freezer bag cozy.

dla, any idea what altitude that reflectix deflation occurs at? I noted the inflation part of it at 5k feet or so, bought the material / constructed it at sea level. But no deflation occured, but given it's basically just fancy bubble wrap, it's not going to be eternally durable. My memory tells me a full surround cozy made with reflectix has an r rating of about .5 or so. And it works, but the deflation thing is something I've also wondered about. I noticed some neoprene at discount fabrics, maybe it's worth checking outa, 3mm has an r value of roughly .5, assuming it's the same as evazote roughly., so all things being equal, I'd assume 2mm is a bit less than reflectix when it's still sound and not deflated. Reflectix is easy to make though, I used the aluminum tape from ACE, ace hardware also sells reflectix by the foot, convenient since all you need is a linear foot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harald Hope View Post
    dla, any idea what altitude that reflectix deflation occurs at? I noted the inflation part of it at 5k feet or so, bought the material / constructed it at sea level. But no deflation occured, but given it's basically just fancy bubble wrap, it's not going to be eternally durable. My memory tells me a full surround cozy made with reflectix has an r rating of about .5 or so. And it works, but the deflation thing is something I've also wondered about. I noticed some neoprene at discount fabrics, maybe it's worth checking outa, 3mm has an r value of roughly .5, assuming it's the same as evazote roughly., so all things being equal, I'd assume 2mm is a bit less than reflectix when it's still sound and not deflated. Reflectix is easy to make though, I used the aluminum tape from ACE, ace hardware also sells reflectix by the foot, convenient since all you need is a linear foot of it.
    I live at 161' and backpack at around 8500'. I never paid much attention to how fast it happens but I typically make a new cozy every other year. I went to the fabric store and got some 3mm neoprene. I sewed it up and tested it - worked great. I think it is just as good as reflectix - perhaps a smidge heavier. But the flexibility and stretch is kind of nice.

The 3mm neoprene was $12/yd.

thanks, I kind of figured it would be up to about 8k, that's enough pressure difference to account for deflation, I think 5k may just stretch it out but not force the air out. I'll check out the 3mm neoprene, just out of curiosity, what's the weight of the two material once built into a cozy, do you have a scale to weigh it?? My guess is the neoprene will come out a bit heavier as you indicate, but still an interesting material to use. The flexibility is certainly a real feature, one thing I noticed with the reflectix was that even at 5k feet, because I'd made it pretty snug, I could barely get the pot into it at 5k feet because the air had expanded in the bubbles. Loosened it by taping iin an expansion piece but it is quite noticeable how much it expands at altitude. Is neoprene closed or open cell, I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Harald Hope View Post
    thanks, I kind of figured it would be up to about 8k, that's enough pressure difference to account for deflation, I think 5k may just stretch it out but not force the air out. I'll check out the 3mm neoprene, just out of curiosity, what's the weight of the two material once built into a cozy, do you have a scale to weigh it?? My guess is the neoprene will come out a bit heavier as you indicate, but still an interesting material to use. The flexibility is certainly a real feature, one thing I noticed with the reflectix was that even at 5k feet, because I'd made it pretty snug, I could barely get the pot into it at 5k feet because the air had expanded in the bubbles. Loosened it by taping iin an expansion piece but it is quite noticeable how much it expands at altitude. Is neoprene closed or open cell, I can't remember.
    Well my reflectix cozy is 1.8oz and my Neoprene cozy is 3.25oz. Not exactly apples to apples because my neoprene cozy is 25% larger. The weight difference is in the noise for me - anything less than a bowel movement isn't meaningful I have an accurate scale and I'll cut equal size swatches of each and weigh them - later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++