WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Your favorite UL baselayer...

Looking into getting a new baselayer. I was previously using a minus33 zip long sleeve and terramar synthetic bottoms. I want to stay with a merino zip top and synthetic bottoms. Looking for good fit and lightweight on the bottoms. I was looking at the smartwool tops...

http://amzn.com/B005TC7D4U

http://amzn.com/B004Z0R450

No idea how much either weighs. I would love to find a site that lists clothing weights. I would really like to have thumb holes on the shirt, too.

I'm a big fan of terramar myself
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

I'm not sure if it's truly UL, but I use UA baselayer 2.0 and it's super warm! I tend to run hot and I'm even hotter when hiking, but this thing with a crappy short-sleeve synthetic over top of it keeps me warm in the 30's while hiking. If it's something you'd be interested in, let me know and I'll throw mine on the digital scale for you. Also, it's on sale... http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pcid1004602

Terramar does have nice pieces and Campmor usually has great prices on them too.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

I like Icebreaker and I have a ratty pair of Ivanhoe that kept me comfortable in 30-80 degree weather.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Well I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the smartwool funnel zip top and some terramar bottoms. Any more input out there?

I think the icebreaker has been the best overall for durability. Minus33 ripped almost right away on me - not bad but disappointing. Smartwool has held up pretty well, but the weave isn't as nice as icebreaker. Picked up an EMS-brand merino top this spring, it's pretty nice for the sale price I found it at. Haven't looked back since going to wool, though. All better than the best synthetics I tried.

+1 on the Merino wool. Why not go for merino bottoms?

Incidentally, my son has some Ibex merinos and some Stoic on the trail now. The Ibex (Woolies Crew Long Top and Boxer Briefs) started wearing out in Virginia, but the Stoic (Top and Boxer Briefs) are wearing fine. He claims to be rotating them pretty equally. Note that the Ibex is lighter, and that the Ibex Woolies Long Bottoms seem to be wearing fine, but I'm sure they have received less use given the generally warm weather since 2/27.

I am hooked on the Nike Pro Combat Hyperwarm gear. It's cheaper than the "outdoor" brands and it's really warm.
    The hypercool line is great for summer.

Top: Icebreaker Hopper in the winter, spring, summer and fall for my upper.
    Bottom: I do not wear a base layer but do have down pants for camp in winter.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Under Armour ColdGear

+1 on the UA cold gear i use the 4.o layer. It's not cheap but very warm and very comfortable for long term wear. I even use around the house at times. For bottoms I like silk long-johns under winter pants which is usually enough for me when needed.

I have an Icebreaker half-zip top.

Icebreaker is nice and soft. Many merino in the store are not.I found my Icebreaker top at better than half-price at one of the seasonal sales.
    Thenixon, is EMS-brand merino soft?

I would rather wear silkweight first layer bottems. While walking, my legs are warm enough, if I have silkweight first layer and windproof pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I have an Icebreaker half-zip top.

Icebreaker is nice and soft. Many merino in the store are not.I found my Icebreaker top at better than half-price at one of the seasonal sales.
    Thenixon, is EMS-brand merino soft?

I would rather wear silkweight first layer bottems. While walking, my legs are warm enough, if I have silkweight first layer and windproof pants.
    Connie ,what is Thenixon,never heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Connie ,what is Thenixon,never heard of it?
    Or anyone who wishes to field this,I have a few base layer garments from ems,but have never heard this term used to describe them the material.

Thenixon is the user who posted reply #7 in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by douginky View Post
    Thenixon is the user who posted reply #7 in this thread.

ooookay,that make good sence,how flippin'stupid do I feel?............Thanks Kentucky Doug

Nothing but SmartWool or IceBreaker for 6 years now...will never go back!

BTW, Got SmartWool tops and bottoms on sale @ Campmor last week for $39 each.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ooookay,that make good sence,how flippin'stupid do I feel?............Thanks Kentucky Doug
    No worries. It's not like I've never done something similar or anything....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Nothing but SmartWool or IceBreaker for 6 years now...will never go back!

BTW, Got SmartWool tops and bottoms on sale @ Campmor last week for $39 each.

geek
    Great price for Smartwool! I agree, though, I wear Smartwool Merino base layers year round (long in winter, short in summer). They keep me warm in winter, and cooler in summer, plus less odor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++