WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Campsites between Helveys Mill Shelter and Jenny Knob Shelter in VA

I am taking a friend on a section hike starting from Bland, Va. She is not up to hiking all the way to Jenny Knob the first day, but Helveys Mill is so close to Bland. Are there any good campsite possibilities between the two shelters?
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Yea if you guys now how to stealth camp about a mile past Helveys Mill, No fire pits their. Good luck and happy hiking RED-DOG

I am located in Bastian VA and know the area pretty well. skip the Helveys shelter and when you cross 611 about 100 ft past the road there is a camp spot on your left. or you can go a little further in and there are some nice flat spots , again on the left. the distance from 612 TH to this camp is about 8 miles, the terrain is a roller coaster of small rises all the way along the ridge line. NO WATER anywhere on that leg. Next water is another 4 miles. I put cases of water out everyday at the TH's at 615, 612, and 611 so look out for them. If you need secure parking or shuttles (Free) drop me a line.

Images

Thanks Trubrit! I hadn't heard from anyone, so I was resigned to having to only hike to the first shelter! We can easily hike in the water we need if we have a campsite to go to!
    I don't need a shuttle this time, but next year I will keep you in mind for my thru-hike.
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Hey Trubrit, thanks for the answer, and thanks for putting out water. I've been following this because I'm planning on hiking this section next week. Thanks for taking care of hikers!

++ New Posts ++