WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hanging in the rain

Looking at the local forcast for our trip (7-13) there looks to be rain. I have never used my hammock in the rain but I do have a ENO Profly. Whats the best way to set it up? Directly over the hammock? Higher? Stake out posts close or farther out?

In a nutshell, you want to pitch your tarp at a steep angle and hang your hammock right up underneath. The tarp should come down directly beside the hammock. Don't forget to use some string on the ends of your hammock to prevent the rain from dripping down your line and soaking your hammock.
    Also, make sure you do a good job of staking out your tarp as wind is the only thing that really bothers me when I hang in the weather. Overall, it is great to sleep in a hammock to the sound of rain dripping down. Not as fun to hang when the wind is whipping and the tarp is shaking - but that's what makes good stories right?
    BTW, check for widowmakers before you choose your spot. Always a danger, but even more so in weather.
    Have a great trip.
    JC

Images

A hammock works great in the rain, since you're off the ground with no worries about flooding. That Profly looks fine. I assume you have some lightweight cord and some stakes. In general, the closer the fly to the hammock, the better rain and wind coverage you'll have. The more vertical the walls of the fly, the better rain and wind protection (at the cost of breeze and views.) Usually the hammock suspension is higher on the tree than the fly suspension, since the hammock needs to hang down a bit and the fly needs to be taut.

If it's raining, hang the fly first, then hang the hammock under it. Easy, and you stay dry. If it's dry, you can hang the hammock then set up the fly. I like to get the fly set up, then take out the stakes and undo one side, leaving the other side attached. Then put the fly and stakes into its stuff sack and let it dangle from the tree. If it starts to rain, it's pretty quick to set up.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

If you are not sure of how well your set will work, set it up in your yard and create some rain with a garden hose and see how everything works so when you are out in the field you know what to expect.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is an interesting observation... I saw firsthand this weekend that most pitched their hammocks a lot lower than I do - when its cold. I prefer a higher pitch as splash will hit the ground and bounce up.... just saying - it must be experience. Height does matter, but I have no idea of the right answer. Maybe others will weight in.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The Profly came with lightweight line and I went out and got those cheap metal stakes for it. I've pitched it a few times but more as a barrier from bird poo, insects, etc. We are looking at a 40% chance of rain on Tuesday and 60% on wednesday so sounds like we are gonna get a little wet...

Default Hanging in the rain

Make sure it's seam sealed, or Seam seal it before you go. . I had a fun night on the very edge of my hammock before I learned that.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling98 View Post
    Make sure it's seam sealed, or Seam seal it before you go. . I had a fun night on the very edge of my hammock before I learned that.
    What do you mean? I know people use the stuff for tent floors where the meet the walls but how does this apply to a hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by jcreamer View Post
    Don't forget to use some string on the ends of your hammock to prevent the rain from dripping down your line and soaking your hammock.

Have a great trip.
    JC
    Like just take bulk line and tie it at the gathering point?

Quote Originally Posted by HangNhike View Post
    What do you mean? I know people use the stuff for tent floors where the meet the walls but how does this apply to a hammock?
    Does yours have a rain fly?
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Ya I have the ENO Pro rain fly that goes above the hammock... I also have a 3/4 underquilt that has a ripstop nylon outershell for insulation and moisture protection

Images

Ive got a GT SBpro and an ENO dryfly... just set it up and it seems like the hammock is a bit longer than the fly. Also, I feel like if i had the netting set up id have to set the rain fly so high over the hammock it wouldnt offer me much protection... Anyone want a brand new ENO dryfly?

Images

She's talking about the fly -- if there are any seams in the fly above the hammock, and they are not taped or sealed, heavy rain will get through the seams and get the hammock (and you) wet. I have two hammock tarps, one from Hennessy and one from Maccat, and both have seams. Just check the seams to see if they are taped or sealed - if not, get the appropriate sealant, set up the fly in the back yard, and seal them. Not a big deal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Here is an interesting observation... I saw firsthand this weekend that most pitched their hammocks a lot lower than I do - when its cold. I prefer a higher pitch as splash will hit the ground and bounce up.... just saying - it must be experience. Height does matter, but I have no idea of the right answer. Maybe others will weight in.
    I use a bottom-entry Hennessy so it can't be pitched too low without making it awkward to get in and out. I usually pitch it about chair height.

In wet weather, pitch the tarp low and tight. On a glorious warm night, pitch it high and wide so you can enjoy the breezes.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Looking at the local forcast for our trip (7-13) there looks to be rain. I have never used my hammock in the rain but I do have a ENO Profly. Whats the best way to set it up? Directly over the hammock? Higher? Stake out posts close or farther out?
    Some confusing dimensions - REI says the Eno is 126" long but only 76" wide. If so, then I would suggest you stake it out as wide as possible to give you maximum vertical coverage. But I can't believe it is really only 76" wide - in fact, some REI reviewer posted some pictures and the tarp looks more like a typical hammock tarp of probably 10'x10' or greater.

I'm going to assume the published width dimension is in error - otherwise it is gonna suck in horizontal rain/wind. Hammocks sag when you put weight in them. You want your hammock to be nestled up inside your tarp, but there are tradeoffs. If you hang your tarp so that it is laying directly on the unloaded hammock, your hammock will get wet from rubbing the underside of the tarp - no big deal if you don't plan on leaving your rig setup for a long period of time in the rain. If you hang your tarp so that it is a couple inches above the unloaded hammock, you'll sag down when loaded, but you'll be about as protected as possible. By the way, I recommend tying the tarp to the tree, not to the hammock line. If you tie to the hammock line, your tarp will sag when the hammock is loaded. Then you'll end up playing around with line tensioners, etc. to solve the sag problem (not worth the effort in my opinion).

I use 250lb test Spectran fishing line. I usually guy my tarp out A-frame style. I also use my hiking poles to guy out one side porch style (I have a side entry hammock) when I think I'm safe from really nasty wind.

I have a Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 and a MacCat Standard. I got the seams sealed by them for an extra $6 bucks which is like the precise of the sealant in the first place. As for what one person posted before, what do you mean, "The hammock suspension will be higher than the tarp suspension." How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    As for what one person posted before, what do you mean, "The hammock suspension will be higher than the tarp suspension." How is that possible?
    The hammock suspension will be higher than the tarp suspension where it is tied to the tree. This is so because the hammock sags while the tarp ridge-line should be taut.

If you hang the hammock first, then tie the tarp ridge-line to the tree such that the tarp is only slightly above the hammock, this will become obvious to you.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Yes, the hammock lines will go down from the tree at around a 30-45 degree angle, whereas the tarp lines will be nearly flat at the tree depending on how tight you stake it out. I like a "high roof" and with a big tarp I don't worry much about wind blown rain, so I tie my tarp about even with the hammock lines.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    I use a bottom-entry Hennessy so it can't be pitched too low without making it awkward to get in and out. I usually pitch it about chair height.

In wet weather, pitch the tarp low and tight. On a glorious warm night, pitch it high and wide so you can enjoy the breezes.
    I use one too. I like to pitch it almost bar stool height, almost so I have to stand on tip toe to back into it. I like to tie the lashings really tight so I don't have much sag.
    I got you on the tarp! I love the fact the rainfly can be wide open or shut closed. I have two Pre tied loops in my fly line. If I need to get up and shut the fly in the middle of the night I can do it without trying to tie a new loop.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

can someone shoe me a picture of exactly how yall keep the rain from coming down the lines and into your hammock? i'm not understanding the concept.
    -Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++