WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    True, there's always another side but the reality is when you're in a service delivery industry you're always "on stage" (sorta like the Disney philosophy) and liable to be judge more quickly for bad service than nice.
    Yes, indeed. Back when I was a caretaker, I found out the club (GMC) had gotten a couple of negative reports from people about me. Turns out these were from the ones who I had given a hard time too when I found them illegally camping. Thankfully, those negative reports were offset by a whole stack of positive ones. And this was back when you had to actually sit down and write a letter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I didn't read this entire thread but I have nothing but positive things to say about Curtis, both from my stay there and from what I've read and heard from others.

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I didn't read this entire thread but ....
    Not fair, NOT FAIR!!! Go back and read the entire thread!!!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

How FAIR is Praha4s post #89??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

It's cool. Rain Man is a lawyer, so he's accustomed to not being fair.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm menacing
    Yup, gotta call the cops instead of dealing with it yourself, real menacing.
    Big tough talking ex-marine who never left the stateside, real menacing, ahahahaha
    You probably drank at the place when you were hiking through the area hypocrite
    Debbie downer nowadays huh ?
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Yup, gotta call the cops instead of dealing with it yourself, real menacing.
    Big tough talking ex-marine who never left the stateside, real menacing, ahahahaha
    You probably drank at the place when you were hiking through the area hypocrite
    Debbie downer nowadays huh ?
    dealt with it many times with no law involved. tired of of gettin' cussed out by hikers like you that think you're special. i'm a former Marine, not ex. never drank at The Place. next

Images

dealt with it many times with no law involved. tired of of gettin' cussed out by hikers like you that think you're special. i'm a former Marine, not ex. never drank at The Place. next
    Wolf, he's probably one of those people that make fun of Dakota Meyers name, Semper Fi, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I didn't read this entire thread but I have nothing but positive things to say about Curtis, both from my stay there and from what I've read and heard from others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

I just did! It's gratifying to see all the positive tributes to Curtis & Maria.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    It's cool. Rain Man is a lawyer, so he's accustomed to not being fair.

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    I stopped at the Standing Bear Hostel but the owner was such a rude a$$hole I purchased the minimum needed to get me to Hot Springs and left. Ran across a couple of hikers a few miles down the trail that said they had a similar experience. A week or so later a 71 year old gentleman told me the owner had chest butted him the year before and tried to start a fight because he accidentally was about to open a door the owner did not want opened...nothing is labelled and the place is confusing...save your time and money for Hot Springs.
    Wow, I hope you don't require counseling or any sort of post traumatic stress medications. Hikers are such sally's these days. Good Lord what a bunch of sissy boys.

He ripped off one of my buddies last year for about $20. I'll not be going back to Curtis'.

Curtis is pathetic ten fellow hikers and I hated ur stay...needless to say we will not be back. Curtis is nothing more then a bully and jag-off...who talks of "Ranger Tammy" watch out Maria. He is a drunkard Rocker is off mentally and Pilgrim is just a "douche bag". Not well taken care of hostel...worst so far moldy smelling sheets and unkept room. Not worth anyones money or time...as far as eleven thrus are concerned.

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Curtis is pathetic ten fellow hikers and I hated ur stay...needless to say we will not be back. Curtis is nothing more then a bully and jag-off...who talks of "Ranger Tammy" watch out Maria. He is a drunkard Rocker is off mentally and Pilgrim is just a "douche bag". Not well taken care of hostel...worst so far moldy smelling sheets and unkept room. Not worth anyones money or time...as far as eleven thrus are concerned.
    Moldy smelling sheets. How will you ever recover from such a tragic event. My prayers are with you, be strong.

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HumanBN View Post
    He ripped off one of my buddies last year for about $20. I'll not be going back to Curtis'.
    Where can I post a donation?

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Where can I post a donation?
    right here dude

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    True, there's always another side but the reality is when you're in a service delivery industry you're always "on stage" (sorta like the Disney philosophy) and liable to be judge more quickly for bad service than nice.

Add social media to the mix and it's no wonder why all the smart companies are bending over backwards to improve their image (even to the point of hiring social media monitors) and staying ahead of rants and bad reviews. They've finally discovered they just cant afford to stick their head in the sand about poor service delivery.

BTW, I stayed there in 2009 and had a marvelous time. No interaction with Curtis though.......
    I doubt that Curtis will ever be concerned, much less affected by social media outlets in his lifetime. It's a non issue. Hikers either come, or hikers either go. Not every hiker consults a smartphone for advisement on Hostel ratings these days. Standing Bear is NOT Disney by any stretch of the imagination.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow all this is making me wonder what's in store for me when I ridge run Maryland this summer and have to deal with the state's "no alcohol" rule...
    Last edited by Blissful; 04-17-2012 at 22:19.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Wow all this is making me wonder what's in store for me when I ridge run Maryland this summer and have to deal with the state's "no alcohol" rule...
    Unless someone is being stupid you pull a Sgt Shultz.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Another vote for Curtis. In 2005, he was the most refreshing and generous hostel owner that I met. Thank you Curtis and SBH for everything that you do!

Images

I went through there in 2006 and his services were just fine, however, I thought he was alittle harsh dealing with some hikers. Well after year after year dealing with a abusive public I to would be an *******. Maybe he should get out of the hostel buisness. Last I heard it was up for sale. Keep walking!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++