WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Avoid Standing Bear Hostel

I stopped at the Standing Bear Hostel but the owner was such a rude a$$hole I purchased the minimum needed to get me to Hot Springs and left. Ran across a couple of hikers a few miles down the trail that said they had a similar experience. A week or so later a 71 year old gentleman told me the owner had chest butted him the year before and tried to start a fight because he accidentally was about to open a door the owner did not want opened...nothing is labelled and the place is confusing...save your time and money for Hot Springs.

Images

i don't know. the hiker before me had a bad visit, i got there 2 weeks later and had a great visit. Curtis was fine with me, but then i'm an a$$hole also
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

curtis is misunderstood. Semper Fi!

I've never been to SBH but I did talk to Curtis several times when planning a winter section hike (canc due to deep snow) and he was very nice and helpful.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I'll be stopping in at Standing Bear Hostel on my next section hike. I can be an a$$hole too(can women be a$$holes?) so I should do just fine.
    Last edited by Northern Lights; 04-14-2012 at 01:13.

Mixed reviews amongst the thrus last year too. I liked the place, but when I caught up to the folks I'd been tailing (and further encounters) it was mostly negative. Guys definitely liked it more than gals, but Curtis' mood was a big factor. Impressions changed by the day.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I've hiked through that area 3 times since Curtis has been there.

It's one of my favorite spots on the AT. Stayed there 5 nights. Curtis has always been great. Not sure what the problem is.

Another vote for Curtis...had a great experience with him in 2008, we talked about alot of things 'back in the day' and when Mountain Mama's was around in the mid 90's, he took us to a store to get goodies and even took me down to where Mountain Mama's used to be, all around a good time.

The store could be better organised - sure...it could also not be there, along with the shower, laundry, tentsites, cabin and shuttle to the store...I was very grateful that SBF existed in 2008.

Curtis is more 'gruff' than 'rude'...being direct and short with people is not rude, it's direct and short. If the guy doesn't want a door opened, don't open it, if you have questions about stock in the shop, ask questions or do your best with the honor system.

I know for a fact that heaps of thru-hikers have ripped Curtis off, they say they bought $10 worth of food and took $20, they leave $2 in the donation box when they should leave $15-20...happens every year. As they say...believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, I think Lone Wolf said that once!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i don't know. the hiker before me had a bad visit, i got there 2 weeks later and had a great visit. Curtis was fine with me, but then i'm an a$$hole also
    I hear you there. I try hard to play nice with others. But when the subject comes up, I have to admit, IM the biggest ahole i've gotton to know on the trail

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Hikers ripping off hostel owners seems to be a growing problem. I heard about it at Kinkora last year. There's no excuse for it.
    I stayed at SBH last year and the problem I saw was with one of the employees.
    It's very convenient for a resupply.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Stayed at SBH in May 2008 and really enjoyed it. I thought Curtis was very nice, friendly, and certainly very patient. My only complaint at the time was that the privy reeked of urine so badly it was easier just to find a place in the woods......but I loved the hot shower, the little store, and the kitchen. I cooked up a nice big breakfast of eggs, bacon, and potatoes that I bought in the store.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have stayed with Curtis three times and have had nothing but a great experience. SBF is one of my favorite places.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thenixon View Post
    Mixed reviews amongst the thrus last year too. I liked the place, but when I caught up to the folks I'd been tailing (and further encounters) it was mostly negative. Guys definitely liked it more than gals, but Curtis' mood was a big factor. Impressions changed by the day.
    This comment sounds positively diagnostic.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

Curtis shuttled me from Erwin to SBF last year. Maybe he's a little rough around the edges but I had no problem with him.

Images

Stayed there a couple of years ago. No complaints whatsoever. An employee even did a store run for us while we got our showers (just wanted a six-pack). Re-supplied from the store. Curtis was friendly and talkative when he came around to visit.

Glad for the rest, would visit again, no concerns.

Images

Just wanted to add.

The store prices were high, but not what I would call gouging. I'm quite certain Curtis gets ripped off by the hikers using his honor system WAY MORE than he is "ripping off" the hikers with the prices. Too bad, we all end up paying for the freeloaders.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I've only spoken with him on the phone to plan my upcoming hike but he seemed beyond helpful.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Garlic
    Images

I didn't spend the night there, but stopped for a few groceries, and paid to use the shower, phone and internet. I didn't notice if anyone was rude, because Matthewski was there and that made everything OK. It was good place to stop.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

On my first and only visit, I took one look at the "Outhouse Privy" built right next to a stream and I was out of there. That has to be Illegal in all 50 states. That county must have no health or enviromental inspection of any kind.

Curtis helped me to get to town to refill my meds last year which was quite a long way from the farm. He was a great host as was his staff. I cannot fault him for the service he provides to hikers considering the locale along the AT. There are more upscale hostels along the trail but its rugged layout is like going back to a different time on the trail. swamp dawg

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++