WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Sbh

We used SBH to shuttle use and would use him again if needed.

I stayed at Standing Bear last Spring ( 2011) and thought the services provided there were more than adequate. I was surprized at how well I was able to resupply there, and thought the prices were very fair.
    I will agree the privy was disgusting but arent they all?
    I found Curtis to be very friendly .He hung out with us a bit that night on the porch and had a beer or two . I ended up zeroing there because of the expected weather ( glad I did) and got to chat a while with Baltimore Jack who I found to be quite an interesting ( albiet opinionated ) fellow. Jack's tent had been broken into and his chicken stolen. Curtis said racoon, Jack said neighbors dog....LOL
    The biggest downside to my stay at SBF was Cimmaron was there during my stay and he was/is truely a nasty tempered old *******, with a sense of entitlement I didnt agree with.
    I'd stay there again.
    Absinthe.......It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I have visited Standing Bear Farm more times than I can remember and have never been treated with anything but kindnesss and respect by Curtis and his wonderful family. I cannot help but make this one simple comment: When hurtful and malicious comments are made on forums of this sort, with the sole intent of causing other people harm and distress, either financial, emotional, or otherwise........these comments are inevitably made in the middle of ther night......and anonymously. This speaks volumes. I think the folks that run Standing Bear Farm are great folks who've helped out thousands of hikers over the years. SBF is a cool place. This is what I think, it's what I believe, and I don't have a problem putting my name on the comments, either. To start a thread saying "Avoid this place!" or "Stay away!" without putting your name on it reduces one's comments to the sort of thing one occasionally finds scrawled on the walls of a public easement facility. In short, if you have something to say to or about a trail provider.....well come out and say it. End of story.
    Everything he said! And my name is Linda Turner. I have no need to be anonymous. Just like using my trail name here.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Journal Entries
    Images

Appears folks expect more than an outhouse these days... Education of the old ways may be key to a successful dump... It doesn't need to be nasty but if you put a box of baking soda down every day and a touch of molding bacteria like they use for septic tanks once a week - add a decent air freshener - the complaints can be minimized.

beats living in some other countries.... where there's a pit.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When ever I hear someone complain about a place like SBF, I sure would like to hear the other side of the story. I'm sure Curtis could write a book about some of the stuff he's had to put up with over the years.
    ZACTLY. Curtis was the first person I met that is part of the whole trail community thing. One of the nicest people on the trail. Sometimes I don't know how he does it. They work their asses off, Maria too, because she doesn't get mentioned enough.. When I hear or see one of these types of posts, you always have to take in to account a hostel owners side. With that said, SBF IS my favorite stops along the trail. Have started and finished quite a few hikes there. Great spot!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we stayed with curtis once and had a great experience despite him being fall down drunk while we were there. he caught his hair on fire at one point - it was an interesting encounter. but we had no complaints.

i'm surprise he hasnt chimed in - he is on whiteblaze....
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

No complaints about SBF. I stayed there last fall on a section hike and was the only one there. Had a good hot shower and a comfortable nights sleep in the bunkhouse. I had been experiencing dizzy spells through the Smokies and decided that if I could get a ride back to Hot Springs that I would cut my trip short and save those miles for the next trip. Curtis made the time to take me to Hot Springs for a fair price on short notice. I did not have the pleasure of meeting Maria. Thanks to Curtis and Maria for the services you provide.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll never forget when Curtis sent through the hiker grapevine that a mail drop box of mine had been misdelivered to him. I was in Hot Springs, I called him and he mailed it on to Damascus for me.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

i was left a cute note this morning by some wonderful, entitled thru-hikers stating "have some respect. you're a menacing ... hole" i guess cuz i called LEOs the past two nites for dopers and drinkers inside The Place

Curtis has become a friend over the years, so I'm pretty sure that he has better things to do than worry about what some "entitled" thru-hiker thinks of Standing Bear Farm!

I stayed at SBH two times on different hikes. Curtis was great. He shuttled our group to our jump off points and even carried us to different places to eat. No issues at all. I have even stayed there while traveling through to Florida. Always been treated great.
    NO K

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i was left a cute note this morning by some wonderful, entitled thru-hikers stating "have some respect. you're a menacing ... hole" i guess cuz i called LEOs the past two nites for dopers and drinkers inside The Place
    You lucky stiff,I never get letters like that!

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I would imagine that the same "entitled" thru-hikers are always "entitled".
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I hope your there when I come thru next year.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I'll be stopping by Standing Bear Farm next year. It has been a must stop on my list because of what people here have said about the place. Like the majority of people here I don't have time for a$$holes and idiots. I think Curtis and I will be allright. (aight)
    This in no way is directed to the OP. I understand he had a problem with the owner and that's between them. This is just speaking in general with everybody else. Drifting I guess.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 04-16-2012 at 12:47.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary. Brendan Behan
    Irish author & dramatist (1923 - 1964)

Seems as though this ought to apply here. Definitely looking forward to SBF next spring on my section hike and seeing if I'm up to the "Curtis Challenge".
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Seems as though this ought to apply here. Definitely looking forward to SBF next spring on my section hike and seeing if I'm up to the "Curtis Challenge".
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When ever I hear someone complain about a place like SBF, I sure would like to hear the other side of the story. I'm sure Curtis could write a book about some of the stuff he's had to put up with over the years.
    True, there's always another side but the reality is when you're in a service delivery industry you're always "on stage" (sorta like the Disney philosophy) and liable to be judge more quickly for bad service than nice.

Add social media to the mix and it's no wonder why all the smart companies are bending over backwards to improve their image (even to the point of hiring social media monitors) and staying ahead of rants and bad reviews. They've finally discovered they just cant afford to stick their head in the sand about poor service delivery.

BTW, I stayed there in 2009 and had a marvelous time. No interaction with Curtis though.......

curtis is a cranky-azz jarhead tired of puttin' up with hikers crap like me

Images

curtis is a cranky-azz jarhead tired of puttin' up with hikers crap like me
    Gunny Zellars....is that you?!!!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++