WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Well look out-LEAVE YOUR CHILD AT HOME!

I HOPE I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION! - Here is the rub.... Folks I just completed another section at Pinnacle and Pulpit in Hamburg Pa, (5x) and had a wonderful time.... and of course saw a few newbs... (more then ever before) and that's OK too. What I observed are really BAD dads! no not MOM"S - DADS! If you are a huge hiker and experienced this is clearly not about you!

I observed several dads "Dragging" 6 year old tiny - no energy girls and boys up to the pinnacle by way of the the reservoir near Port Clinton.... and because this has come up before in the past - IT IS no section hike for kids because of the PA rocks.... IT's just plain wrong...

I stopped a dad coming up the right way from the reservoir "but left too late in the day" because the six year old ( YEA I ASKED) girl was two miles from the lot and - well I saw her face,,,,They asked! and I broke them with humor and said " Hey you are wonderful for bringing the kids up - and I am sure you would like to hear its around the corner or 1/2 a mile. the truth is you are 3/4's to the helicopter pad and more than 2 miles to the Pinnacle...

HE was listening... and concerned. and really did the right thing - and had a very young baby... in the backpack...

This is a high volume area of the AT and this attracts folks from four states away....

When approached by others do you do the right thing?

DO tell.........What is your take on this?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-15-2012 at 09:01.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My take, is that those little rugrats better know how fortunate they are for not being born during the paleolithic period. Week rugrats were dropped...no turning back.

Only the strong survived

Journal Entries
    Images

oh damn - I forgot the seatbelt to the office chair again thanks John....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Now this is karma.. timing....whatever. I just added a pic in my gallery of getting the step kids camping. we have done all sorts of camping since I showed up in their lives, some hiking. My G-scout leader wife wants her girls to go backpacking. When I teach Power Skating I teach 1 movement at a time, we do not sprint, stickhandle, and shoot in the first lesson on the ice. With that said, I've had too many parents that wanted that Stanley Cup in that first lesson.........and there is just no reasoning with those people. Now my sons first pack trip was the blue blaze trip to Stratton pond to Bourne pond and back to the road, nice 3 days maybe 10 miles total, relatively flat.

My experience was some what different,It was the kids always dragging me to the trails.But,yes I have seen parents taking there kids for a long walk or bicycle ride knowing that the parking lot was so much farther than they told there kids,no I didn't have the heart to tell those poor crying little ones that in fact there parents were mean and that the end of there day would not be over for another hour and a half.You see a lot of this at the pay one price amusement parks,by 11:00am the kids are spent and staggering behind there parents being dragged by one arm.Consequently we took ours to disney when they were 9 and 12,it was a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

On the way up to the pulpit were two guys coming down with four - "three, four, and five" year olds and were carring them down the rocks in both arms....I wish I had a photo, half way down one of the dads lost his balance and fell on one kid.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    On the way up to the pulpit were two guys coming down with four - "three, four, and five" year olds and were carring them down the rocks in both arms....I wish I had a photo, half way down one of the dads lost his balance and fell on one kid.
    If it was the 3 yr old, maybe he won't remember it, and someday return to hike again!

Can I jump in on this, since I'm a mom it may not count. All of my children (3) were "dragged" out hiking at an early age . . . but . . I a researchaholic. Each and ever step of the trip was planned, each item carried was planned, even on a daytrip I carried items for an emergency overnight, I kept an eye on then and never started them out on a trail that I have not done a few times so that I would know the dangers or pitfalls or researched to it's utmost. The oldest child and I still do 9 day section hikes on the AT every year. (he is now the planaholic). And when I say "dragged" I truly mean encouraged. The trips were not a "good for you, whether you like it or not" adventure. But then again, I'm just weird I guess, I feel if you force them then they may never return on their own when they are older.

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome Auntie! first post since you joined in Jan 2009. Yea I was "dragged" out at ten. but these guys were carrying the kids out.... much of the trail can be jeep access roads - and this section is not one of them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Welcome Auntie! first post since you joined in Jan 2009..
    Don't feel bad Auntie, I joined www.bikeforums.net in 2006, but didn't post until 2011

I "dragged" my kids to National Parks when little. At one point they rebelled, choosing to stay in the car because the YNP geyser basins smelled bad. Also "dragged" them through art galleries. One actually sat on bench in the middle of the room and covered her eyes so she wouldn't see any of the art. Oh well, I tried and no one died.

I joined because I didn't have to ask because you have the info available, I just read mainly. Like I said I'm a researchaholic more or less. I may never post again, or at least for a few more years. Right now I'm just searching for a way to get a dog to Springer, but noticed this thread and have experienced the visual of people dragging kids for their own good. My kids hiked, biked, and kayaked with me. My youngest bikes everywhere, middle child rows as if in crew, and oldest child does it all

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I am glad you posted and with that kind of research I hope you weigh in more and join in on the dog thread - I bet you have a lot to offer.

Woo

I've been looking for a dog thread, as for the dog, small beagle, extremely well trained with people and trails, never off a leash so on and so forth. Where is this dog thread

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...alachian-Trail

Use the forum key next to the home key at the top left. Scroll down.

Woo

That's why parents should secure their day packs to Kelty external pack frames
    That way when their kids get too tired to walk they can use the pack frame to carry the kid off the mountain ala Herzog on Annapurna

Images

I'm not familiar with this hike, but I gathered from the op that it is 2.5-2.7 miles up. Were the kids hauling a pack? Were the kids overweight? If they take all day to do it, with a few hours at the top for lunch and naps, is it really that bad? Is this a dangerous portion of the at? Help me understand why it is a bad area for kids. I don't mean this to be an argument, just trying to understand.

Images

I really don't see what the big deal is. As long as the kid can walk he/she can tackle short hikes but normally need to be prodded along. At 10 my dad took me out on 10 mile hikes and I remember loving it. Of course, I'd get sleepy at the end and would sometimes have to ride in on his back, but it wasn't like I felt abused in any manner. I believe at a young age it gave me a sense of accomplishment when it was all said and done.

To recall, I actually hiked up Mount Washington at around the age of 12. Granted, my father and I weren't as experienced as some hikers and lacked most of the fancy gear, but either way we made it to the top without any issue. I think its good to instill a sense of toughness in a child to show them what they can truly accomplish on their own. Many people who are coddled throughout their life never get to experience their actual physical potential.

Those kids may be less than pleased, but they'll be thankful later.

Images

i learned my lesson a while back taking my kids on a day hike up in Minnewaska state park, took the long route instead of the short route and ended up carryin my 10 yr old and 7 year old the last half mile back to the parking lot.car. took them 2 miles too far.
    i was redeemed, however, by and end of hike swim in lake minnewaska, and although they grew up on the beach, had never swam in a lake before, it was a treat, and the cold water healed their aching feet. it became fondly known as "daddys death march".

Journal Entries
    Images

Good story - I hope you have many more "Marches" in the future.... I am thinking a few circle trails when young under a mile or two in the woods or beach, but nothing serious until ten to twelve years of age.

Woo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++