WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100 mile wilderness shuttles?

A couple of friends and I are going to be doing the 100 mile wilderness section in August. We are driving in from Indiana, a 20+ hour drive, and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as parking, getting to and from the trail, and back to our car.

If you know of any good shuttle services that cover this area specifically, we could go nobo or sobo on it, just trying to get it figured out and looking for the best deal possible. We considered renting a car each way, returning it somewhere near the trailhead and then getting another car on the return trip, but there doesn't seem to be many car rental places very close to either trailhead.

Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Shaw's Boarding House in Monson will do this. You will need to make arrangements ahead of time with them.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Lakeshore House in Monson can also arrange shuttle services and has safe parking. Shuttle needs to be arranged in advance.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I did the 100 miles (North to South) in 2010. One solution is to leave your car at the bus station in Bangor. There is free parking area(or was in 2010) behind the bus station, which is directly across the street from the airport. Then take the bus up I95 to Medway. You can arrange for the folks from the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket to pick you up, put you up overnight, and drive you out to the trail head in the morning. At the southern end of the trailhead, you can call Shaws (cell phone worked) for a picke up, some R&R time, and a drive back to the bus station in Bangor.

Dawn @ Shaws!

Phil Peppin has started a hiker service. Check out http://www.100milewilderness.info/
    More walking, less talking.

Monson is an official trail town!! It can help you once you get up to the 100 mile wilderness. Shaws can do pick ups and drops offs at Bangor if you rented a car there.... or took a flight... We can shuttle you to the mountain or pick you up!! Phil Peppin is new to the town of Monson, Shaws has been around for 35 Years and has much experience with the trail! Between Mail drops, Food drops, Re supply in the facility, post office, a shower, and whatever else you need help with she will be happy to give it to you!!.... Give Dawn a call ! 1 (207) 997-3597 !

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Phil Peppin has started a hiker service. Check out http://www.100milewilderness.info/
    What is Phils hiker service? He must be new? I just know that the main strip in Monson can get you all the help you need and more!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Shaw's Boarding House in Monson will do this. You will need to make arrangements ahead of time with them.
    1 (207) 997-3597 for shuttle services in Monson and all through the Wilderness! For a good deal!!

I'm planning the 100 Miles Nobo starting Monson Aug 5 or 6. I have a Honda Civic, so 4 people total max. If we meet at Millinocket, I can leave my car there, drop you at Abol Bridge, you hike Sobo and I drive your car to Monson. Saves all of us the cost of a shuttle. PM me for my phone number if you want to discuss.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! We ended up booking with Phil, mainly because he had a website that provided answers to many of the questions that we had. He seems to be a pretty good guy, legit, and the prices were reasonable, will post review when we get back.

Skid, sorry I missed your post we probably would have taken you up on that. I have been working crazy hours and haven't checked the message boards in a couple of months. We will likely pass each other on the trail though, we are going sobo starting on the 7th of August! Super excited, we have never done a trip this long.

Images

leave you car at Shaws they can shuttle you when u finish or if you have the money get Katahdin Air to fly you back over the trail to monson you can walk two blocks to Shaws from the lake where they land they will pick you up at Abol Bridge pretty cool to see the trail from the air
    hillbilly

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

another +1 for Dawn at Shaws. The others are probably just fine, but Dawn is tops IMHO!!
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

The name "Shaws" has been around since 1977, but Keith Shaw passed away 6-7 years ago and his wife, Pat, sold the business shortly after his passing. Dawn McPherson bought the business and operates it as such. When choosing a service provider, ask----Have you ever hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness? Have you ever hiked the Appalachian Trail? Do you know which shelters are currently "dry" and whose water sources have dried up? Have you ever worked as a Volunteer on the Trail? Do you know what it is really like to be a hiker?....Important questions that deserve thoughtful answers. Things aren't the way they use to be. Kieth and Pat were close friends of mine. I knew them well and have fond memories of their kindness and generosity. "Chillinhiker" works for Shaws, so has a vested interest. Check out Lake Shore House and Phil Pepin at 100 Mile Wilderness Adventures and Outfitters and then decide.......Quadzilla.....GA>ME '77 & '82 '10 www.100milewilderness.info

Just finished our 100 mile wilderness hike and it was AMAZING. We stayed at Phil's the night before we started and he shuttled us up in the morning. He helped us work out a plan for daily miles and campsites, even let us use his own maps while we hiked because we forgot to buy the ones we had planned on getting =P Phil definitely has a real passion and love for the AT and Maine in general. Anyway, it was a great experience and my friend and I were both very happy and would use again for sure.

Phil Peppin provides an excellent service. My friend and I (both English) flew out especially for the 100 mile wilderness and he was invaluable. I would not hesitate to go with him again; I only wish that every trail had a Phil Peppin!

Our English phones didn't work in America so we struggled to contact Phil initially but luckily he made the long trip to our hotel to find us in person. He took us to a store on the way to the trail to buy some last minute goods. He lent us his camping stove for free and supplied us with gas, walking poles, and maps (which he marked with extra campsites) all at a very reasonable price. In short, I can not recommend Phil enough.

++ New Posts ++