WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Steve - not now.... cold-case66.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree WO and 40 lbs is probably not outside the norm for those who start a thru. Most will adjust their load by the time they reach Neels Gap. I did what i advised. The people at Mountain Crossing set aside some of my food for when I came thru. They also held some gear to send ahead when I would need it. They also advised me to send some things home. The only thing they sold me was a compression stuff sack that I needed at a competitive price and they charged me nothing for the excellent advice or storing my stuff for @ a week. Much of the advise we give and get here is good some not so good. Every employee at MC has done at least one thru hike. You can't argue with experience.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    mountain crossings is a business, and youll be hostage to the gear they have available at their prices.
    Hostage? Really? Sure, Mountain Crossings is a business, but the gear they have is specific to long distance hiking, and the prices are the same as anywhere else you can buy that gear in person in a shop. That is, regular retail price. They aren't gouging anyone. No one takes any hostages. They'll go through your pack, and provide free advice based on their long experience. You don't have to buy anything.

Ivanoff, sorry about the thread drift. Ignore us. Go start hiking and you'll have a blast. You'll figure out the gear on the way, like everybody else. Have fun.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

it wasn't a thread drift BC ... it was another option that can come into play if he decided to get help in person...

Your post was helpful.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'd recommend trying to resupply every 3 days and carrying 1 liter of water. Sometimes you can resupply more frequently, sometimes you'll have to go longer but don't carry a week, just don't do it. You'll probably also need to carry more water near NY if it's dry. But for most of the trail you'll be able to walk out of town at least 10lbs lighter just by doing the above.

Now, what do you have for gear?

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree that the temptation is to carry too much food. First, you can't carry enough to replenish the calories you will expend. Count on eating in towns to do that. Secondly, plan menus rather than just grabbing some stuff at the store. You will find you carry less weight. Finally, share some of what you have with others.

-

your packweight is fine as long as I do not have to carry it

One thing to consider in your big 4 is your sleeping bag. If you are starting in May there is little need to carry anything lower than at 35 degree bag and can probably get away with a 45 if you are a warm sleeper or use to sleeping in layers. If your pack is over 3.5 pounds look for lighter pack. Definitely post your list in detail and let the gang beat it up a little here before you lug it up Sassafrass, Black Mountain, and Blood Mountain to get to Mountain Crossings. Your back and legs will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Consider this..

If your pack is 50 lbs, and you do 8 miles per day, you may need 5 days food for 40 mile re-supply = 7.5 lbs
    If your pack is 30 lbs and you do 12 miles per day, you may only need 4 days food = 6 lbs
    If your pack is 15 lbs and you do 20+ miles per day, you may only need 2 days food.= 3 lbs

The lighter you are, the faster you can walk, the less food AND water you have to carry.
    Muddy no disrespect intended but shouldn't the time lost buying food cut into that mpd figure

Thank you for all of the suggestions guys

My big 4 are actually pretty decent I think? I do think it is all the little things that I need to cut down on but I will let you guys be the judge of that. I am also having trouble deciding on the clothing I will need. I am actually not doing the hike until next summer May 1-August (unsure on the specific date for now) so I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out, I just want to be as prepared as I can be.

Some of my big items are(I havent bought any of these yet, just the ones I have found that seemed like a good choice)..
    GoLite Jam pack: 1lb 15oz
    Lightheart solo tent: 27oz
    Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 sleeping bag: 17oz
    Thermarest Neoair xlite sleeping pad: 12oz

I will post the rest of the items once I get them typed up

Quote Originally Posted by s.ivanoff View Post
    Thank you for all of the suggestions guys

My big 4 are actually pretty decent I think? I do think it is all the little things that I need to cut down on but I will let you guys be the judge of that. I am also having trouble deciding on the clothing I will need. I am actually not doing the hike until next summer May 1-August (unsure on the specific date for now) so I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out, I just want to be as prepared as I can be.

Some of my big items are(I havent bought any of these yet, just the ones I have found that seemed like a good choice)..
    GoLite Jam pack: 1lb 15oz
    Lightheart solo tent: 27oz
    Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 sleeping bag: 17oz
    Thermarest Neoair xlite sleeping pad: 12oz

I will post the rest of the items once I get them typed up

I am excited to see the rest of your list. With this list so far, you can probably get down to 10-11 lbs base weight. reasonably easily and cheaply. If your big 4 replaced my big 4 I would be at ~11 lbs (down from ~13 currently).

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    I am excited to see the rest of your list. With this list so far, you can probably get down to 10-11 lbs base weight. reasonably easily and cheaply. If your big 4 replaced my big 4 I would be at ~11 lbs (down from ~13 currently).
    Okay so here is my rough list...
    GoLite Jam Pack 31 oz
    Lightheart Solo Tent 27 oz
    Mountain Hardwear Phanton 45 Sleeping Bag 17 oz
    Thermarest Neoair Xlite Sleeping Pad 12 oz
    Stuff sacks (3) 4 oz
    aLoksaks 3 oz
    Outdoor Products Packframe Poncho (covers body and hangs over pack) 9 oz
    Fancy Feast Alcohol Stove .3 oz
    Alcohol stove fuel 8 oz
    Evernew Titanium 1.3L cook pot 4.6 oz
    Snow Peak titanium bowl 1.6 oz
    MSR Titan Cup (for cocoa and coffee) 1.9 oz
    Sea to Summit Alpha light Spork .3 oz
    Foil Windscreen .2 oz
    Camelback water bottle 1.5 oz
    Platypus 3L water reservoir 5.8 oz
    Sawyer Inline water filter 2 oz
    Map/guide book 3 oz
    Journal, pen, itinerary 4 oz
    Compass/whistle 1 oz
    First Aid kit(bandaids, neosporin, antiseptic wipes, etc..) 3 oz
    knife 2.6 oz
    2 Bic lighters 1 oz
    Petzyl Tikka XP Headlamp 3.1 oz
    Paracord (for hanging bear bag) 50ft 4 oz
    Insect repellent 3 oz
    Duct tape 2 oz
    bandana .5 oz
    Insect head net 2 oz
    gaiters 3 oz
    Mountain hardweat powerstretch gloves 1 oz
    Sunglasses 2 oz
    Trekking Poles Leki Cressida Aergon Speedlock 14.8 oz
    Watch 2.5 oz
    2 biners .5 oz
    headband, hairtie .5 oz
    Bonnies balm climber's salve 2 oz
    Chapstick .5 oz
    Toilet paper 2 oz
    Trowell 3 oz
    Tooth brush .5 oz
    Tooth paste 1 oz
    Camp Towel 2 oz
    Camp Suds soap 2 oz
    nail clippers .5 oz
    wet wipes 3 oz
    tweezers .5 oz
    brush 1 oz
    face lotion (my skin is very dry) 1 oz
    Iphone and case 5 oz
    Camera with case 9 oz
    Camera charger/usb 3 oz
    Spare batteries 3 oz
    Kindle (yes, luxury item, I know. I need to do something while at camp) 6 oz
    Charger for Iphone and Kindle 2 oz
    hat 2 oz

Beanie 1.9 oz
    GoLite Running Shorts 2 pair 8 oz
    GoLite Rain pants 7 oz
    Short sleeved shirts of some kind (2) icebreaker maybe? 6 oz
    Tight Spandex running pants (a must for me) 7 oz
    Long sleeved shirts of some kind (2) again, maybe icebreaker? 10 oz
    Montbell Down vest (Just in case it gets really cold at night) 4.4 oz
    Sports Bra (2) 4 oz
    Underwear (3-5?) 4 oz
    Crocs (camp shoes) 8 oz
    Hiking shoes: Salamon Synapse mid rise 13 oz
    Smart wool socks (2 hiking, 1 sleeping) 6 oz
    Ibuprofen (and lots of it!!) 2-3 oz
    multivitamins 2 oz
    Gun* (see excerpt below) 9 oz
    Grand Total 20lbs 5 oz

Despite the fact the guns are frowned upon on the trail I still may bring one. I am a female traveling solo soo I really won't be able to sleep without it at night. I have read that the trail is all around safe, but I don't want to take the risk (neither does my father, he is strongly urging me to take one). I have a lot of experience and training with guns so I am very safe. But anyways I am still not positive on whether or not I am bringing one but that is something I will decide without the input of others. So if I do bring my gun, it weighs 9 oz.

In addition, I know many will say to ditch the kindle because it is a luxury item BUT this will greatly improve the quality of my nights at camp. I always need a good read or some television before I go to bed ( it takes me a long time to fall asleep without it).

Okay so tear my list to shreds everyone!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Might be. However, ya gotta hike your own hike, and figure out what you wanna haul around.

Just some thoughts...Everything you've posted is actually skin-out weight...You'll be using your trekking poles (~15oz), wearing your shoes (13oz), and a set of clothes (~16oz)...Also, look into getting the kindle app for the iphone (it's free and does the same job, that would save you some weight..I was actually debating bringing my ipad, but really it's just a big iphone). People are probably gonna mention you don't need the trowel or the gun. I'm still a newb and starting in July, but I've been studying lists like crazy. You're big 4 are actually very good (and damn near the same thing I have).

Images

A couple of random thoughts:

1. You don't actually have any of this gear yet, or very little of it, right? What I have found is that a theoretical gear list always weighs less than a real, loaded pack. No matter how careful I am with my spreadsheet, the final product weighs more than I expected.

2. You're not going to like the Jam with 37 pounds in it. Not. At. All. I'll venture to say that you won't like the Jam with 27 pounds in it, either. The Jam is a frameless rucksack -- basically a giant stuff sack with shoulder straps. It's a perfectly nice pack, but it's very specialized. Trust me when I say that you are going to want something with an internal frame of some sort, like a ULA Circuit or similar. The slight increase in weight is well worth it (but don't go crazy - a 7-pound pack is not more comfortable than a 2-pound pack.)

3. I expect you'll find the Kindle far more useful than the firearm.

4. With that 45-F bag, the down vest is a very good idea. We had sub-freezing temps at Springer in early June. Also, does the Phantom 45 have a full length zipper? My wife had a Phantom 32, and it had a half-zipper. That's one reason she sold it - the other reason was that it was way underfilled with down. A full length zipper lets you open the bag and use as a quilt in warmer weather.

5. I still think the best thing anyone can do to prepare for a thru-hike is to get out on the trail for a couple of weeks beforehand. This will let you figure out your gear, and your hiking style, and make any necessary tweaks before the big hike. If you can do that this summer, I'd recommend it.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

While by no means an expert here, I pipe up...could save you a couple pounds..or not...

I carry only 1 long sleeve and one short sleeve shirt and only one pr extra underwear
    why 2 pr shorts? especially if you have the tights and rain pants
    For summer I would definitely not carry rain pants
    I don't carry camp shoes when using light hiking shoes
    I don't carry trowel
    carrying gloves and a beanie with a summer weight bag seems a bit of a contradiction. If cold enough for gloves, it might be too cold for that bag. If cold enough for beanie, might be too cold to just carry vest (vs. jacket). I'm not sure where you'll be so weather is an unknown.
    maybe ditch the platy for a couple gatoraide bottles
    4 oz for paracord seems about twice what mine weighs
    lighter knife?
    no camp towel - use bandana.
    5 oz of wet wipes AND TP...thatsalotta
    duct tape goes on hiking poles. Yea, you carry it, but not in pack
    heavy camera, Will I-phone work as camera too, elliminating an extra charger as well. (sorry if my lack of techno knowledge is showing through).
    Since you get to town every 4 days or so you might ditch the extra batteries, extra bic, extra ibuprofen, extra vitamins, etc...maybe bounce those or rely on hiker boxes and purchasing as you go.

suggest aquamira

Two pounds may not seem like much but to each their own. Lightening my pack is both about light weight items (done that) and now its about elliminating stuff. For now I'm focusing more on not needing what I really don't need and figuring out what that is.
    Have fun!!

Journal Entries
    Images

I think BC is right about taking your gear out on a couple of outings before hand. I have the kindle app on my Iphone and it works fine. I did take a camera but my I phone would have been adequate for my photographic skills. You are packing more clothing than I would carry but I am not a woman so you will have to trust yourself on that point. I have a Marmot Plasma 30 which is just about right for a hike beginning now and is comparable in terms of weight. I found the extras were not necessary. Re-supply will provide you with all you will need and if your lighter runs out or you need so vitamin I others will provide. You will find that every ounce matters. From your list I think you may be taking more water than you need to carry. I found two liters at a time was plenty adequate and water was not scarce.
    I am not your father but I am old enough to be your grandfather and I would suggest you ditch the gun. I have never felt at all concerned about my safety as regards others or animals while hiking the AT, rocks and roots are something else, however. Just enjoy your hike and keep it as light as you feel you comfortably can.

You might consider that in several states along the trail you will not be able to legally carry a hand gun, and could end your hike in jail.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    You might consider that in several states along the trail you will not be able to legally carry a hand gun, and could end your hike in jail.
    Since you brought it up, which states?

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Since you brought it up, which states?
    MA, NY, NJ, and maybe others don't recognize other states permit, or issue to non residents. Otherwise, it would depend on the OPs permit and reciprocity for every state but Vermont.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++