WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    MA, NY, NJ, and maybe others don't recognize other states permit, or issue to non residents. Otherwise, it would depend on the OPs permit and reciprocity for every state but Vermont.
    And it's illegal to fire the weapon in any NP or bring it into any Federal facility
    More:
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02...fe-refuges.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    Just some thoughts...Everything you've posted is actually skin-out weight...You'll be using your trekking poles (~15oz), wearing your shoes (13oz), and a set of clothes (~16oz)...Also, look into getting the kindle app for the iphone (it's free and does the same job, that would save you some weight..I was actually debating bringing my ipad, but really it's just a big iphone). People are probably gonna mention you don't need the trowel or the gun. I'm still a newb and starting in July, but I've been studying lists like crazy. You're big 4 are actually very good (and damn near the same thing I have).

Thats awesome, I didnt know they had that app for the iphone. Thank you!

And the trowel I was reading on one of the AT websites that you have to dig a 5-6 inch deep hole to go to the bathroom in out there so I thought I had to have one

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    A couple of random thoughts:

1. You don't actually have any of this gear yet, or very little of it, right? What I have found is that a theoretical gear list always weighs less than a real, loaded pack. No matter how careful I am with my spreadsheet, the final product weighs more than I expected.

2. You're not going to like the Jam with 37 pounds in it. Not. At. All. I'll venture to say that you won't like the Jam with 27 pounds in it, either. The Jam is a frameless rucksack -- basically a giant stuff sack with shoulder straps. It's a perfectly nice pack, but it's very specialized. Trust me when I say that you are going to want something with an internal frame of some sort, like a ULA Circuit or similar. The slight increase in weight is well worth it (but don't go crazy - a 7-pound pack is not more comfortable than a 2-pound pack.)

3. I expect you'll find the Kindle far more useful than the firearm.

4. With that 45-F bag, the down vest is a very good idea. We had sub-freezing temps at Springer in early June. Also, does the Phantom 45 have a full length zipper? My wife had a Phantom 32, and it had a half-zipper. That's one reason she sold it - the other reason was that it was way underfilled with down. A full length zipper lets you open the bag and use as a quilt in warmer weather.

5. I still think the best thing anyone can do to prepare for a thru-hike is to get out on the trail for a couple of weeks beforehand. This will let you figure out your gear, and your hiking style, and make any necessary tweaks before the big hike. If you can do that this summer, I'd recommend it.

Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions. I sort of anticipated my pack would be heavier once I actually got everything in there for real so when making the list I sort of tacked out an ounce here and there just to play it on the safe side. I am pretty sure the phantom does not open up to a quilt, I will have to look into that. And I agree with getting out there for a bit to test the gear. I don't think I will be able to actually practice a couple weeks on the AT because it is on the other side of the country for me but once I have all of my gear I think I will find something in AZ to do for a week or two (not the same as the AT practice, but better than no trial run).

Again thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    While by no means an expert here, I pipe up...could save you a couple pounds..or not...

I carry only 1 long sleeve and one short sleeve shirt and only one pr extra underwear
    why 2 pr shorts? especially if you have the tights and rain pants
    For summer I would definitely not carry rain pants
    I don't carry camp shoes when using light hiking shoes
    I don't carry trowel
    carrying gloves and a beanie with a summer weight bag seems a bit of a contradiction. If cold enough for gloves, it might be too cold for that bag. If cold enough for beanie, might be too cold to just carry vest (vs. jacket). I'm not sure where you'll be so weather is an unknown.
    maybe ditch the platy for a couple gatoraide bottles
    4 oz for paracord seems about twice what mine weighs
    lighter knife?
    no camp towel - use bandana.
    5 oz of wet wipes AND TP...thatsalotta
    duct tape goes on hiking poles. Yea, you carry it, but not in pack
    heavy camera, Will I-phone work as camera too, elliminating an extra charger as well. (sorry if my lack of techno knowledge is showing through).
    Since you get to town every 4 days or so you might ditch the extra batteries, extra bic, extra ibuprofen, extra vitamins, etc...maybe bounce those or rely on hiker boxes and purchasing as you go.

suggest aquamira

Two pounds may not seem like much but to each their own. Lightening my pack is both about light weight items (done that) and now its about elliminating stuff. For now I'm focusing more on not needing what I really don't need and figuring out what that is.
    Have fun!!

Great suggestions! I am thinking about buying a light weight camera and I'm not buying the Iphone till october so I am unsure of its memory capacity for lots of pictures and videos but that would be a great substitute cuz my camera is pretty big. And the clothing is where I am very unsure (clearly) because I have read on websites that it is still very rainy and cold in the summer there from time to time, but also very hot and humid at others but thats good news cuz I think rain pants are really uncomfortable anyways (the poncho on the list goes pretty far down my legs anyways). I guess I chose two pairs of shorts cuz I am assuming it will be hot more often than cold and I love running shorts. But maybe I should just bring one and if they ware out I can pick up another pair along the way. I had read somewhere that 30-50 ft of paracord is what you need but I will look around for some lighter weight cord. I think I will just use the wet wipes instead of tp. And its good to know there are often enough stops for batteries and meds. I still need to buy the guide books so I wasn't sure how often certain items would be available along the trail. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    You might consider that in several states along the trail you will not be able to legally carry a hand gun, and could end your hike in jail.
    I am aware of this. That is why I said that I am still undecided. I have been looking into the individual state's laws and permits required and such so we will see. Im sure my knife will keep me safe enough anyways

Images

It's real simple ............... See Winton @ Mountain Crossings ............. He'll do you right .................

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    And it's illegal to fire the weapon in any NP or bring it into any Federal facility
    More:
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02...fe-refuges.htm

Yeah I understand guys. I tend to float towards wanting one because I live in what they call a "safe" part of town and I have still had someone break into my house and my gun saved me, my car was stolen from right outside my house, and a few other minor scary things. As a young woman my chances of encountering danger, I feel, are greater than most and I always carry one now. I guess I was just born and raised around a whole family who carries guns and I have grown dependent on that feeling of security. I think I will do a trip here in AZ and just bring my knife to see if I am able to sleep at night. Nonetheless, I am very appreciative of everyone's input on the subject and I will be thinking about this over the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Dogs View Post
    It's real simple ............... See Winton @ Mountain Crossings ............. He'll do you right .................
    Yeah I am going to do that! Sounds like the perfect triple check before I head out, thank you!!

1. You should carry enough clothes to be warm at the coldest temps if you wear everything. If it's colder than that, get into your bag.

2. You should have one set of clothes for hiking and a second set for sleeping. An extra set of hiking socks is often carried.

Beyond the above 2 rules, any extra clothes are useless weight.

At the risk of turning this into a gun-no gun thread, ditch the gun and keep the Kindle. Carrying a firearm is a big responsability and has all kinds of potentual for liability issues. The decision to carry one should not be taken lightly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by s.ivanoff View Post
    Yeah I understand guys. I tend to float towards wanting one because I live in what they call a "safe" part of town and I have still had someone break into my house and my gun saved me.
    Didn't think to check your location, I can see now you live in sort of a war zone. You can leave that mentality home when you come out to the AT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

go to trailjournals.com and read some journals...you'll get a feel for weather, trail stops, people, diffuclty, etc. This year I've been following Second Stage, swamp rat, and Deisel.
    Stops can be every few days...you're seldom more than a day or so from a bail-out point
    Laundramat at most stops. Food resupply. Goodwill or something (to buy another pair of shorts) Post Office to mail yourself a box of extra supplies and off season gear for use later (this is called a bounce box since it "bounces along with you up the trail)

A few years ago Certain had a good journal...Stumpknocker...Marta (I can't remember her trailname) - read and enjoy. You'll get the idea. Its gunna be great!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Dogs View Post
    Agreed. Here's a little preview of the only gear list you really need. It yields a 16-18 lb. base weight cold weather pack. Tried and true by thousands of successful thru hikers. Gloves and fleece cap are givens. Add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Trim for summer to go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Agreed. Here's a little preview of the only gear list you really need. It yields a 16-18 lb. base weight cold weather pack. Tried and true by thousands of successful thru hikers. Gloves and fleece cap are givens. Add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Trim for summer to go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Cheers!
    While I like the Mountain Crossing's Method and have been using it to formulate my own packing list, is it really complete? In addition to the gloves, warm hat, and bag liner, these often-packed items are not on the list:

Duct tape, rope, some kind of skin ointments (body glide, vaseline, bag balm), butane lighter/matches, sun had, clothes bag, food bag, fuel bottle, freezer bags, cell phone/charger, camera, trekking poles, wallet (and contents), head lamp, watch, backpack, maps, pencil, compass, toiletry bag containing toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, soap, TP.

The OP has been particularly diligent at listing everything, which I like as I'm a bit paranoid about missing something important, while at the same time not carrying too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    While I like the Mountain Crossing's Method and have been using it to formulate my own packing list, is it really complete? In addition to the gloves, warm hat, and bag liner, these often-packed items are not on the list:

Duct tape, rope, some kind of skin ointments (body glide, vaseline, bag balm), butane lighter/matches, sun had, clothes bag, food bag, fuel bottle, freezer bags, cell phone/charger, camera, trekking poles, wallet (and contents), head lamp, watch, backpack, maps, pencil, compass, toiletry bag containing toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, soap, TP.

The OP has been particularly diligent at listing everything, which I like as I'm a bit paranoid about missing something important, while at the same time not carrying too much.
    heheheheheee...... Funny.
    Last edited by Spokes; 04-17-2012 at 16:48.

So 40 pounds is your max total pack weight.. with water and food included? I'd say you're good to go. I carried a little over 50 pounds into Maine's 100 mile wilderness (that's six days food). I really think many folks here squabble too much about pack weight. Do some practice hikes before you through hike and find out what works for you. If you find your pack too heavy when you start out, you can always send stuff home and tweak things along the way.

When I hiked in 2006, I found that those folks who where hyper weight sensitive (carried those ultra light packs) where the ones who did the high mileage and did the slack packing.

davidnh

Journal Entries
    Images

One of my companions on my last hike carried a little mp3 player loaded with audio books and music to entertain himself after hit the sack. I will do that the next time to cut down the monotony of long dark nights.

Journal Entries
    Images

My big 4: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2.2 lbs), Marmot Plasma 30 (1.7 lbs) or Never Summer 0 deg. (2.10?), Therma-rest Neoair long (@1 lb) and ULA Circuit (@2 lbs.) so I come in at @ 7-9 lbs. At my age athat's plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    So 40 pounds is your max total pack weight.. with water and food included? I'd say you're good to go. I carried a little over 50 pounds into Maine's 100 mile wilderness (that's six days food). I really think many folks here squabble too much about pack weight. Do some practice hikes before you through hike and find out what works for you. If you find your pack too heavy when you start out, you can always send stuff home and tweak things along the way.

When I hiked in 2006, I found that those folks who where hyper weight sensitive (carried those ultra light packs) where the ones who did the high mileage and did the slack packing.

davidnh

Thanks, after a bit of tweeking I was able to get the skin-out weight down to about 32lbs including five days food (2lbs a day) and carrying 50 oz of water. I am not sure on how much my food will weigh so 2lbs a day is on the high side, If I can carry 1.5lbs/day then I will be able to cut the skin-out weight down to 30lbs possibly a little less. I would be pretty happy with that weight considering I was starting at 40lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    My big 4: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2.2 lbs), Marmot Plasma 30 (1.7 lbs) or Never Summer 0 deg. (2.10?), Therma-rest Neoair long (@1 lb) and ULA Circuit (@2 lbs.) so I come in at @ 7-9 lbs. At my age athat's plenty.
    I was originally going to go with the same big agnes tent but I read a couple bad reviews and had been directed to the lightheart solo. And after someone suggested the ULA circuit I looked at the pack online and it seems like a great pack so I think that is the one I will be going with now. I think the original big 4 items i picked out totaled to 9lbs but I was able to get it down to 5.8lbs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++