WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default seirra clip flashlight

just received this tent today took it out in the yard and set it up. its a 2 person tent but i would not want to sleep with another guy in this tent. i bought it for me and my wife to backpack together with. set up was super easy and it is really light for the price $170. any one else have one of these it seems really well made.

Images

I used a clip flashlight for many years - it is a great backpacking tent. I've since switched to a tarp tent to shed some weight.

Nice tent for one or an adult and child. My wife finds it too small for two adults.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've got the three person which unfortunately discontinued. It is great for two adults and my wife, child and I can fit. Mostly I take just pitch the fly. I keep shipping for something else but just can't seem to find anything else that I really want except maybe a pyramid tent for a little bit better protection.

I've got one with about 10 nights use on it, and I'd let it go for $80 plus shipping.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    just received this tent today took it out in the yard and set it up. its a 2 person tent but i would not want to sleep with another guy in this tent. i bought it for me and my wife to backpack together with. set up was super easy and it is really light for the price $170. any one else have one of these it seems really well made.
    I was just thinking this is a great example of how gear has changed! Back in 2001 when I did my first hike, the Clip Flashlight was one of the most popular tents on the trail. I've got a pic somewhere of a camp site where there were half a dozen lined up next to each other. These days, you hardly ever see a tent like this one. Still, it's a good tent. Well made and will keep you dry and warm. Enjoy it!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Virginia Tortoise

I agree with Moose2001. Back in 1999 when I sectioned from GA to VA, the Clip Flashlight was the most popular tent on the trail. It's a great tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    I've got one with about 10 nights use on it, and I'd let it go for $80 plus shipping.
    What, a pyramid tent?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

it's a good 'bread and butter' tent. Simple to set up, rugged, not lightweight by today's standards, but not overly heavy. I still have the almost identical Kelty Zen (Kelty and SD are owned by the same company now..not sure about then?) and still break it out on occasion for car camping or as a loaner. It is a bit snug for two adults, but do-able.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I too agree with Moose. In 2000, when I hiked, the Clip Flashlight and the Light Year CD were very popular. Even though they are somewhat outdated, they are still both great choices. Often times, stuff has been around for a good while for a reason. It still works.

Whack a mole.....i just bought one i don't need another

Yes, I was just throwing it out there in case someone saw the thread and was interested. This is a great little tent, very weather proof, and easy to use and set up. The bottom line is that I am just too big for it. I'm 6-3 and I can't sit up in it very well or get dressed in it. Very hard to get out of in a rainy morning to get dressed. I think it is a fantastic tent for someone a little smaller or maybe a little younger (read more flexable here). I have some older items that I'm letting go and this is one of them. It's a great tent for the right person, maybe a scout or someone looking for a quality item at a fair price.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Used this tent many, many a night for nearly a decade. Now relegated to my car camping tent, but if you're looking to purchase this tent, I say do it!
    Be Prepared

I bought my Clip Flashlight around ... ~1995. I still use it when I want a little more room.

Bought a Clip Flashlight when they first came out in 1991. On its maiden night camped in Death Valley, a March sandstorm blew through and snapped the pole. Campmor replaced the tent and I used it for the next 16 years which included completing the AT in sections and hiking most of the JMT. No problems except when the waterproofing failed me in a heavy rainstorm one night.

I still have it as a backup but now use a Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

They are joking when they call this a two person tent. It was so small I went with a larger size just for me.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I had a Clip Flashlight for close to 15 years. Looks like the newer versions have some more mesh and may be a bit lighter. Held up really well, but it is pretty tight quarters for two people... I generally just used it for my dog and I. Only problem I ever had was when I packed it away damp and opened it up to a wonderful mildew smell. I managed to clean it up and recently donated it to a local Boyscout Troop.

So when you are out on the AT, is there any one tent that is super popular now or do you see a myriad of tents?

Journal Entries
    Images

Good tent, I like mine still after all these years. However, on thru hike I plan on using a small tarp.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

++ New Posts ++