WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What Is Today's Wingfoot

When I thru hiked in 2005, the Wingfoot guidebook was basically universally accepted as the go to guidebook for the AT.

I believe Wingfoot phased out updating the guidebook in recent years so I wonder, what is today's 'go to' guidebook for the AT?

Images

I prefer the AT Guide, by Awol.

Wingfoot sold out the Thru-Hiker's Handbook quite a few years ago. It was maintained and published for a while, but lost it's following.

In the 2011 edition of the AT Guide, there was a note on the cover that it included data from the Thru-Hiker's Handbook, so I assume Awol bought the rights, or has a gentleman's agreement.

http://www.theatguide.com/

The AT Guide, comes in your choice of northbound, southbound, and bound or loose-leaf. Options are good. Plus it incorporates a profile map with the data spread and has more town maps I believe.

It does not contain as much "background" or "human interest" info as the Companion.

Images

I like the companion pages - - maybe just because it's what I have and I'm used to it.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

According to Trailplace.com, the Handbook merged with AWOL's AT guide starting in 2011.

Thanks guys.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Another vote for Awol's AT Guide.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

ALDHA Companion

I have used both and definitely prefer AWOL's AT Guide. With the AT Guide's visual representation of elevations, it allows me to even not worry about carrying maps. I know of people switching to AWOL's AT Guide, but have never heard of any switching the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    With the AT Guide's visual representation of elevations, it allows me to even not worry about carrying maps.
    Having pictures of ups and downs isn't the reason to carry maps.

Default Wingfoot

Speaking of Wingfoot. What's he doing these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    Speaking of Wingfoot. What's he doing these days ?

He is engaged in Biblical studies and just recently had his latest book published:

http://www.amazon.com/Lifting-Veil-B...4858500&sr=1-2

I am new - to the concept of planning an A.T. thru-hike.
    So I bought all the guides, some old as well.
    And I bought many other books.

As for amount of data, simple to understand layout for easy comprehension - The 2012 A.T. Guide really stands out.

I like AWOL and I like his guide. I also like to support ALDHA and ATC, hence my recent purchase of the Companion which has been vastly improved in the last 5 years, thanks to Sly and the dedicated volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I have used both and definitely prefer AWOL's AT Guide. With the AT Guide's visual representation of elevations, it allows me to even not worry about carrying maps. I know of people switching to AWOL's AT Guide, but have never heard of any switching the other way.
    I carried App Pages, 1st edition and used the AT Guide for a year. I became involved with the ALDHA Companion and actually support both books. I think there is such a thing as too much info. The AT guide takes away the element of surprise. I hate profiles, cannot stand them!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

+1 for AT guide. The companion has better "stories," though (history or folklore of the area) The Guide has better service references, imo.

++ New Posts ++