WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Late April Snow 2012

Looks like a potentially high impact storm could affect NOBOs already in northern Virginia. If the snow comes as expected there could be significant blowdowns with the heavy snow falling on trees with leaves.

Hope the NOBOs are paying attention to this one.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Doesn't look like there will be snow in VA, but western PA and NY will be another story. Since it's been in the 40's here in the valley all day and the clouds are at about 3,000 feet, I bet it's been snowing up at the summits here in the Whites. Hard to say if it will still be there after the bulk of the storm comes by later tonight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Bummer...April showers bring May flowers,April snows bring nothing but freaking misery if your a North Bound Hiker on the Appalachian trail....no rhyming here and no time to cheer,fold-up and hold-up till you get the "All's Clear"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Doesn't look like there will be snow in VA, but western PA and NY will be another story. Since it's been in the 40's here in the valley all day and the clouds are at about 3,000 feet, I bet it's been snowing up at the summits here in the Whites. Hard to say if it will still be there after the bulk of the storm comes by later tonight.
    It's going to be 28 tonight in the TN mountains with freezing rain and 30 mph winds, I'd rather have snow!

It is snowing pretty good here in Marion Va right now.
    CT

Images

Heard from someone that tried to get into SNP today that the road is closed, the park is closed.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I don't know if this FB link will post but it's from the PATC FB page showing white-out conditions in SNP this morning.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/5835394554/

Last edited by Cookerhiker; 04-23-2012 at 14:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I don't know if this FB link will post but it's from the PATC FB page showing white-out conditions in SNP this morning.
    Great, I bet this caught a lot of hikers by suprise - who already sent thier warm layers home.

I'll have to wait for the clouds to lift to see if it snowed on the summits or not here. Was cold enough in the valley that it should have higher up. Got a lot of rain, that's for sure. We needed it, but maybe not all at once!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/5835394554/

Those shots are from the live web cam at Big Meadows.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/photosmultimedia/bm_webcam.htm
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

It's been snow, sleet, and rain all morning here in State College, PA. I'm about an hour away from the AT near Harrisburg. It seems the snow is mostly sticking on the higher elevations. I doubt NOBO's are this far North yet, but just a heads up anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    It's been snow, sleet, and rain all morning here in State College, PA. I'm about an hour away from the AT near Harrisburg. It seems the snow is mostly sticking on the higher elevations. I doubt NOBO's are this far North yet, but just a heads up anyways...
    Read a post the other day that a hiker who started Feb,2 was approaching palmerton PA.though I can't remember his name.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Read a post the other day that a hiker who started Feb,2 was approaching palmerton PA.though I can't remember his name.
    Hope he/she didn't send home all the winter gear! It's weird, where I'm at we've only had maybe 6 days of snow the entire winter. But, it is APRIL in the northeast...

Some thruhikers were caught in snow this morning on the AT in the Smokies. A lot of us are in Gatlinburg now - mainly the Grand Prix which I believe is sold out. I got off the trail yesterday in near-whiteout conditions of fog/rain/wind in the 30s. I talked to some incoming thruhikers just a few minutes ago at the hotel lobby and they said they were hiking in snow, high winds and 20F this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ezNomad View Post
    Some thruhikers were caught in snow this morning on the AT in the Smokies. A lot of us are in Gatlinburg now - mainly the Grand Prix which I believe is sold out. I got off the trail yesterday in near-whiteout conditions of fog/rain/wind in the 30s. I talked to some incoming thruhikers just a few minutes ago at the hotel lobby and they said they were hiking in snow, high winds and 20F this morning.
    Dang, didn't know this was gonna affect those as far south as the Smokies. Hope all made it out or are prepared for such conditions.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Wow. I hope everyone finds some warm clothes. I figure most people have already mailed the really warm stuff home?

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
    -Jason

Bluegrass is at Harpers. He says that he is #14.

So there are a few that could be affected.

Destination: Rockfish Gap/Waynesboro
    Starting Location: Maupin's Field Shelter

Okay, its the 23rd of April. In Virginia. I'm sitting here in town doing my
    laundry as Carol and the kids drive down. That's the normal part. The abnormal
    part of the day is that I just finished 21 freakin' miles through, rain, sleet,
    snow, and freezing rain, all delivered by 35 knot winds. It was blizzard-like at
    3600' ft. WTH? And the snow was thick and sticky so it stuck to the trees,
    covering the white blazes. In parts it covered the trail itself, making
    navigation really hairy. I got off Humpback Mt alright, and I hope the hikers
    behind me did, as well. The first one out was Meats. He led the way. I was able
    to make out his tracks at times. And that helped with navigation. These
    conditions were totally unexpected.

If I didn't have my fam coming to see me I would have stayed in the shelter for the day. Nasty. All said and done, though. This day has been a memorable one.
    -Nor'easter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Doesn't look like there will be snow in VA...
    It snowed today in SNP on the order of 2--3 inches, depending on elevation. I hiked in from Swift Run Gap because the Skyline Drive was closed to vehicular traffic. Went north on the AT for a couple hours before road walking back to the car for a nice day hike of 8 miles.

Ranger at Gap said they had reports of a foot or more of snow further north but seriously doubt this,the snow was constantly changing, snow/rain ,sleet even at times.

Wished I'd remembered to toss the camera in my pack before leaving though as the trees were beautiful...drats !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I met a thru-hiker on the trail in Linden, VA - about 15 miles north of SNP - on Friday evening. He asked about the rain but I had no idea that it could be snow then! I hope he made it somewhere warm before the nastiness started! I didn't get his trail name so I have no idea who he was, he said he wasn't the 1st hiker and that he'd started Feb 27 and so far hadn't encountered snow!

I hope everyone is safe!

There was snow as far south as TN. Stayed at Hogback Ridge Shelter last night and that's where it started for me. Woke up to a white forest and frozen shoes and socks from the rain all day that day and half of yesterday. We bailed out at Sam's Gap for Erwin. Heading back out tomorrow. Hope everyone got through cuz even in my 15° bag and layers it was still fairly chilly and tonight was supposed to be colder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++