WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Inserting some seriousness into this thread, I'm kinda new to computers but I thought when I joined this forum that I knew hikers. I'm constantly surprised at the seriousness and hostility often encountered here. On the trail, most I encounter are more of a brotherhood. Hikers in Florida are introverted and circumspect. Tolerance goes to the concept of minding ones own business. As I'm trudging along feeding deerflies, I could care less how heavy your pack is, how many years you've hiked, or your daily mileage. Sometimes at camp, I do envy your food bag. I would have expected this to be a much more relaxed forum, it is what it is though....

Sharing experience is what I expected when I came on WB. And once I wade through the opinions, trashing, & bashing there is some substance. I've noticed most of the trash comes from some of the most 'experienced', they must feel entitled to puke some of their pathetic nonsense. Am I getting too serious? If they only had as much foot on trail experience as they do 'hands on' keyboard experience. Some people can only feel important at someone else's expense. Fortunately most of 'old sages' give themselves away in time. I wonder how much their crap would soften if I ask them face to face to repeat some of what they've posted here... it would probably turn to diarrhea.

Anyway, I confess, am the worst of hikers, the filthest of backpackers. You see, I wear over the ankle hiking boots, and for the past 30 yrs. use the same wooden hiking stick. It gets much worse, I hike with Angus, he's a dog (just don't tell him that), and I backpack proudly wearing my families/clans tartan. I need intervention, and I'm at the right place, thank you WB. A WB outcast is what I am......maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    Inserting some seriousness into this thread, I'm kinda new to computers but I thought when I joined this forum that I knew hikers. I'm constantly surprised at the seriousness and hostility often encountered here. On the trail, most I encounter are more of a brotherhood. Hikers in Florida are introverted and circumspect. Tolerance goes to the concept of minding ones own business. As I'm trudging along feeding deerflies, I could care less how heavy your pack is, how many years you've hiked, or your daily mileage. Sometimes at camp, I do envy your food bag. I would have expected this to be a much more relaxed forum, it is what it is though....
    +1 Capt.Nat.....and I too don't care much for the deer flies,there just mean.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    When the heck did we as a people become so serious??......
    Exactly. I find, most of the time, people tend to be too literal. You know, lacking the ability of the abstract thought process. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    Sharing experience is what I expected when I came on WB. And once I wade through the opinions, trashing, & bashing there is some substance. I've noticed most of the trash comes from some of the most 'experienced', they must feel entitled to puke some of their pathetic nonsense. Am I getting too serious? If they only had as much foot on trail experience as they do 'hands on' keyboard experience. Some people can only feel important at someone else's expense. Fortunately most of 'old sages' give themselves away in time. I wonder how much their crap would soften if I ask them face to face to repeat some of what they've posted here... it would probably turn to diarrhea.

Anyway, I confess, am the worst of hikers, the filthest of backpackers. You see, I wear over the ankle hiking boots, and for the past 30 yrs. use the same wooden hiking stick. It gets much worse, I hike with Angus, he's a dog (just don't tell him that), and I backpack proudly wearing my families/clans tartan. I need intervention, and I'm at the right place, thank you WB. A WB outcast is what I am......maybe that's not such a bad thing.
    Awesome,my only cretique,get the dog a kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Exactly. I find, most of the time, people tend to be too literal. You know, lacking the ability of the abstract thought process. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction
    Dig it....keep it pithy!

Awesome,my only cretique,get the dog a kilt.
    I would, but he's worried some 'sage' might be curious if he's commando.

I come across as serious a lot, but it's not so much as me being a serious person (I'm not), rather my curiosity eclipses all my other traits, including my sense of humor. That why I like to discuss (some will say debate) issues, not so much to impart my opinion, but to hear opinions of others. And sometimes I do change my mind based on that...

I also try and not let the little things get to me, but there are some things that I just can't let go, like keeping food in ones tent -- it's safe... I'm sick of hearing people that don't understand bear behavior...I could go on
    Come to think of it Maybe that makes me a serious person

Dig it....keep it pithy!
    heheheheeeee

I would, but he's worried some 'sage' might be curious if he's commando.
    Maybe one of them old midevil wrought iron chastity belts...in carbon fiber ocorse.

Maybe one of them old midevil wrought iron chastity belts...in carbon fiber ocorse.
    Not to be too serious but it's spelled: Medieval

Ultralite, w/ tintanium lock. Angus hopes the chastity belt is for the curiousity seekers. His claim is his leash keeps him under control.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I come across as serious a lot, but it's not so much as me being a serious person (I'm not), rather my curiosity eclipses all my other traits, including my sense of humor. That why I like to discuss (some will say debate) issues, not so much to impart my opinion, but to hear opinions of others. And sometimes I do change my mind based on that...

I also try and not let the little things get to me, but there are some things that I just can't let go, like keeping food in ones tent -- it's safe... I'm sick of hearing people that don't understand bear behavior...I could go on
    Come to think of it Maybe that makes me a serious person
    Nope,to late,you already contemplated,can't be serious if you comptemplate.And that,just may be the difference folks.

Ultralite, w/ tintanium lock. Angus hopes the chastity belt is for the curiousity seekers. His claim is his leash keeps him under control.
    Aye,thee ole control is an illusion trick thing,Hey little puppy,ra@$%#

Not to be too serious but it's spelled: Medieval
    Are you serious? LMAO....im an idiot!

We're all idiots and as soon as everyone realizes that then we'll all be much happier and less serious

We're all idiots and as soon as everyone realizes that then we'll all be much happier and less serious
    I gotta blame it on sister Mary Elephant...Sound it out,sound it out.being taught to spell pathetically has had it's draw backs.you sould see what happens when I don't use spell check!my old spell check just picked the word I wanted,now this one makes me guess with a serious of choices.Well if I knew the word I wanted,i would have asked spell check.........

Images

I gotta blame it on sister Mary Elephant...Sound it out,sound it out.being taught to spell pathetically has had it's draw backs.you sould see what happens when I don't use spell check!my old spell check just picked the word I wanted,now this one makes me guess with a serious of choices.Well if I knew the word I wanted,i would have asked spell check.........
    Sister Mary Amnesia was a better teacher and didn't yell.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Sister Mary Amnesia was a better teacher and didn't yell.
    Oh ya the yellin...I broke many of pointer with me knucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++