WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: hammock info.

Default hammock info.

Is there any place ion the AT where a hammock is not practical? It sounds as if the hammock would work for me but need to know if ther will be problems setting it up.

Thanks,
    Rene

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default a thru will chime in shortly

i can only answer from Harper's Ferry SoBo to Springer and in that area you should have plenty of trees with the exceptions of Mt. Rogers, Yellow, Hump,
    Big Bald Mtns. and on Max Patch, but in all those cases trees are a very short walk downhill in most any direction.
    I have hear from thru's that only in the Whites are they not practical, I'm sure they will concur or be at loggerheads soon.

Images

I wouldn't try to set up in the middle of a bald. go for the edge.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Most hikers don't camp above treeline in the Whites anyway. The only stretch where you'd want to sleep above treeline is the presidential range, where you should stay at a Hut.

Camping above treeline seems nice but isn't generally a good idea. I talked to a hiker who tented on Saddleback in Maine and the wind ripped his fly during the night.

In other words, in the only places where they are not practical, a tent is only slightly better.

If there is a problem you can always use the tarp. But only in extreme circumstances!!!
    HAMMOCKS ARE SUPREME!!!!

Never had a prob, never will! I seek out places that work for "ME". This way, It has to work for "U"... get it?
    Once we set up our rig on a cliff side just for fun and had a blast! I got a picture of the occasion at my bedside to reflect on...
    You can get pretty creative with a versital hammock. The hennesy has it's limitations and surely... I wouldn't go setting it up on a cliff but hey, whatever floats "U" gotta try...

oh p.s... that cliffside camp offered "US" a visit by a bear in the am and it was awesome!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I used a hammock from GA to ME, there is always a place to hang on the AT. (Well, not if you want to sleepon Max Patch or at Uncle Johnny's...)

PS: like the name, Hammocker...
    Sue/Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Exclamation "Breaking the Law?" "Who ME?"

There are a few limits to the hanging of hammocks in some parks. I almost got a ticket for hanging my Hennessey Ultralite A-Sym in the Everglades National Park. I hung my hammock after checking in at the gate. I kicked back on my hammock and started reading the park literature I had received upon check-in. "DO NOT HANG ANYTHING FROM TREES!" WOOOW. I took that little puppy down real fast. About 20 min. later a ranger came by and asked my if I had seen a hammock set up anywhere. He was working on a report someone had turned in. Ya, like he didn't know it was me! I always check park regulations now.

By the way, the Hennessey hammock is very "Tree Friendly" and does not harm trees at all !
    Unless you're a real big boy and tie to a real small tree!

++ New Posts ++