WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Question AT through MD, May 19-22, 2012

I plan to lead a hike on the Appalachian Trail through Maryland (42 miles) from Saturday to Tuesday, May 19-22, 2012. So far have one hike partner and two others interested (all females, if that's of import).

Anyone with advice about the AT in Maryland? Good places to eat? Water conditions? Other concerns or suggestions?

Anyone want to join us?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea ITS COLD! just got back from Pine Grove MAHHA hang its still hitting 31 degrees at night and 45 during the day. Even when they say its 50.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

That's a really nice section for a 3 day hike. I hiked it going sobo from PenMar last spring during undoubtfully the rainest day of April.
    Maryland has some elevation changes but nothing extreme and there are a few rock scrambles on day 1 heading south from PenMar.

The water sources were good last spring,maybe someone can chime in that's hiked that section recently.
    One should consider getting water from Gathland State Park before reaching the Ed Garvey Shelter as the water is a quarter mile downhill and quite a climb coming back.

Harpers Ferry has numerous places to eat depending on what you're looking for. The Cannonball Restaurant gets good reviews. http://foodio54.com/restaurant/harpe...annonball-deli

The Secret Six Tavern is fine if your looking to eat a burger & fries and don't mind a limited menu.

I hope this helps some Rainman.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Hey, Hubbie and I plan to do Pen Mar to Turners Gap May 19 and 20. Maybe we'll see you out there!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Hey, Hubbie and I plan to do Pen Mar to Turners Gap May 19 and 20. Maybe we'll see you out there!
    I plan to do this section next week and will let you know on water sources and other pertinent info. To the OP, I would start the hike at Pen Mar and finish at Harpers Ferry. This section has good shelters with tent sites . Try to stay one of your nights at the Annapolis Rock campground (tenting only with privy). Good scenery and usually a gusher of a spring. Staying there puts you position of making you next night stop at Dahlgren's Backpacker Campground. Restrooms, showers, picnic tables, tent pads are there and a five star restuarant, Old South Mountain Inn (closed Monday), nearby.

Enjoy the hike.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe I'll see you out there in May. Rumor has it I'm supposed to start ridge running around then, after my training.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Maybe I'll see you out there in May. Rumor has it I'm supposed to start ridge running around then, after my training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Hey, that would be great! Right now it looks as if I'll be with "Mama Bear," also from Nashville. Two other Nashville gals plan to do the hike sobo that same weekend.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dovecote View Post
    ... and a five star restuarant, Old South Mountain Inn (closed Monday), nearby.
    I do plan to do a meal there, but thanks for the reminder about being closed Mondays.

RainMan

Images

QUERY: Anyone know the ins and outs of taking the train from DC to Harpers Ferry on a Saturday morning?

Rain Man

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    QUERY: Anyone know the ins and outs of taking the train from DC to Harpers Ferry on a Saturday morning?

Rain Man

MARK only runs on week days and Amtrak I think only goes to Harper's Ferry in the afternoon, around 4 I think.

The schedules are all about getting people to the city in the morning and home in the afternoon.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Rain Man

As the previous poster said, Amtrak has only one train a day leaving DC to Harpers Ferry. It leaves at 4:05 PM and scheduled to arrive in Harpers Ferry at 5:16 PM. If you are depending on this service to get you to your starting point for your hike, you will have to book it to the Garvey Shelter (first designated camping area) before night fall.

Rain Man,

I'm a senior hiker (pushing 60) looking for a a long weekend hike. Your hike sounds like it could be the one. I live in Parkton, Maryland, just north of Baltimore, so it would be no problem for me to get to Harper's Ferry. I thru-hiked in 2009 but don't remember too much about MD because of the weather (rain and more rain). My group did 20+ miles a day for 2 days to get to PA and out of the monsoon. What time do you plan on leaving Saturday the 19th? How many miles a day are you planning to hike? Is your stopping point Pen Mar Park? Any other details that I should know? Sounds like this could be fun!

Sondance

I plan to lead a hike on the Appalachian Trail through Maryland (42 miles) from Saturday to Tuesday, May 19-22, 2012. So far have one hike partner and two others interested (all females, if that's of import).

Anyone with advice about the AT in Maryland? Good places to eat? Water conditions? Other concerns or suggestions?

Anyone want to join us?

Rain Man

Recently stayed at Raven Rock Shelter. Try to stay there. It was accurately described in the shelter register as a "magnificant mouseless Maryland mansion". Four tent pads, three picnic tables, and bear cables. One draw back is a long steep trek to the water source which was flowing well. The Cowall shelter south of Raven Rock was in good shape. No flat level sites around the shelter to pitch tents but tent site pads in close vicinity. Water from the boxed spring was plentiful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    MARK only runs on week days...
    Yep, I found out I'm out of luck on the weekend, so my wife is going to drive me up to HF on Sat morn and see the town, maybe eat lunch with me and my group.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondance Kid View Post
    I'm a senior hiker (pushing 60) looking for a a long weekend hike. Your hike sounds like it could be the one. ...
    Sondance got your PM and sent a reply. Would love to have you tag along. I'm 60, about to be 61; you can push me.

Recently stayed at Raven Rock Shelter. Try to stay there. It was accurately described in the shelter register as a "magnificant mouseless Maryland mansion". ... The Cowall shelter south of Raven Rock was in good shape. ...
    Thanks, dovecote, for the info. I appreciate it all. Have been doing some practice hikes and am getting excited to think about hitting the road this Thursday. Family is spending Friday in DC together. Then I go to Harpers Ferry on Saturday and they stay for a few more days of sight-seeing in DC with our Panamanian "daughter."

RainMan

Here is the complete train info about getting to Harpers Ferry from DC Union Station:

Marc Train - Brunswick Line: (Monday thru Friday only)
    Train No. Time leaving Union Station Arrival time in HF
    P877 4:55 pm 6:16 pm
    P879 5:40 pm 7:14 pm
    P883 7:15 pm 8:42 pm

Marc Train is $11 per person from U.S. to HF . You can board the train 30-45 minutes early - it is pretty full of commuters.

Amtrak: (every day)
    Train No. Time leaving Union Station Arrival time in HF
    29 Capitol Limited 4:05 pm 5:16 pm

Amtrak is $12-15 per person.

There are kiosk machines at Union Station that you can buy your ticket.

Sorry, there are no morning trains to HF from Washington DC.

By the way, if you need a place to stay the night before you leave on your hike, the Teahorse Hostel has openings May 19-22! (www.teahorsehostel.com)

[QUOTE=Rain Man;1288132Thanks, dovecote, for the info. I appreciate it all. Have been doing some practice hikes and am getting excited to think about hitting the road this Thursday. Family is spending Friday in DC together. Then I go to Harpers Ferry on Saturday and they stay for a few more days of sight-seeing in DC with our Panamanian "daughter."

RainMan

.[/QUOTE]
    I am currently out of town but will be back in Harpers Ferry on Saturday via Amtrak hopefully arriving on time at 5:16 PM. If you need any local assistance after our return please call me (I will PM you with my phone number). You can ask Red Dane about us. We put her up at our place on her thru hike a few years. Tell her hello from my wife and I.

Images

You can ask Red Dane about us. We put her up at our place on her thru hike a few years. Tell her hello from my wife and I.
    Thanks for the PM (I sent a reply). Red Dane, eh? If you put in MD her up on her thru, it must have been about February! LOL That girl started early and hiked hard!

RainMan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yushan View Post
    Here is the complete train info about getting to Harpers Ferry from DC Union Station:

Marc Train - Brunswick Line: (Monday thru Friday only)...
    Yeah, that's what I discovered. Nothing on Saturday morning. As things stand now, my wife is going to drive me. The silver lining is she'll get to see Harpers Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by yushan View Post
    By the way, if you need a place to stay the night before you leave on your hike, the Teahorse Hostel has openings May 19-22! (www.teahorsehostel.com)
    Thanks for the invite. I'll pass this along to the folks driving up from Nashville (though I think they intend to drive through the night).

Rain Man

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I will be at Annapolis rock May 21-22 I just found out, but you'll be passed there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++