WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you have a guidebook and a watch, you can pretty quickly determine what your avg mph is by timing distance between milestones. Then it's just a matter of time x MPH.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Check this out for the Appalachian Trail.
    http://www.atdist.com/
    More specifically: http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=CL&k...8822&year=2012

The databook, and the guidebook from that section have much more detail. Typically you can have at least one distinct landmark no further apart than 2 miles (and usually about half a mile). For me, I've done enough hikes such that I can estimate how fast I walk over the particular terrain, and thus can use my wristwatch to estimate how far I've progressed between the distinct landmarks. I always take a list of distinct landmarks on every hike. Without knowing the landmarks, I find that I'm always inclined to overestimate how far I've walked. I almost never have a problem underestimating how far I've walked. But I've learned through experience to mostly avoid the overestimation.

Usually roads, streams, and side trails are the most reliable landmarks. Some of the landmarks in the guidebook can be ambiguous (e.g. ridge crests).

I walk a 23 min. mile on flat even ground,and have become very good at judging my distance even on the ups and downs,but it requires keeping track and making a mental note every couple of min. to then be fairly accurate.After you've practiced this a bunch,you just may surprised yourself...give it a shot,if nothing more you will become more aware of your surroundings.One thing/tool I use is to think/look up the trail and try to picture about 100 yards or a football field,or some distance that works for you,as far as you can throw a rock maybe or the distance of you driveway,something familar.Not as hard as one might think.cheers

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    More specifically: http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=CL&k...8822&year=2012

The databook, and the guidebook from that section have much more detail. Typically you can have at least one distinct landmark no further apart than 2 miles (and usually about half a mile). For me, I've done enough hikes such that I can estimate how fast I walk over the particular terrain, and thus can use my wristwatch to estimate how far I've progressed between the distinct landmarks. I always take a list of distinct landmarks on every hike. Without knowing the landmarks, I find that I'm always inclined to overestimate how far I've walked. I almost never have a problem underestimating how far I've walked. But I've learned through experience to mostly avoid the overestimation.

Usually roads, streams, and side trails are the most reliable landmarks. Some of the landmarks in the guidebook can be ambiguous (e.g. ridge crests).
    Thats funny,I find that when I'm getting close to and unknown,i play this little sub estimation denominator type constant/not so constant thing,and know that I'll never hit dead balls on,so a SWAG is the order of the day when all is factored in,and I too am long in my guess.That is I think I've walked further than I actully have.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    ... - - this question is sort of stupid (pardon me) though - - the math on this is very very simple (i.e. you start at NOBO mile 100 and hike to mile 182.6 and you've hiked 82.6 miles 182.6-100=82.6) You really couldn't figure this out? My 6 year old gets it. sorry to be cynical
    I'm sure the OP wasn't asking how to do basic math Kind of a condescending and snarky remark coming from someone who is actually thinking about moving north because of climate change

Images

Maybe he doesn't realize there is a guidebook!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Ericrhett, welcome to WB, where you'll get your question answered & then some. For me one of the major differences between a day hike & an overnighter is the lack of concern about time on the latter. A day hike often comes with a time to be home or at work, etc. But con your hike, as long as you start at a reasonable time & make reasonable progress you'll get where gou're going. My point is this: I find it quite refreshing not to have to worry about time or distance & I encourage you to bask in that same freedom. But back to your question . . . Ask people you meet how far it is to the next shelter, and assume they're underestimating.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Ericrhett, welcome to WB, where you'll get your question answered & then some. For me one of the major differences between a day hike & an overnighter is the lack of concern about time on the latter. A day hike often comes with a time to be home or at work, etc. But con your hike, as long as you start at a reasonable time & make reasonable progress you'll get where gou're going. My point is this: I find it quite refreshing not to have to worry about time or distance & I encourage you to bask in that same freedom. But back to your question . . . Ask people you meet how far it is to the next shelter, and assume they're underestimating.
    Likewise, any word of mouth estimate of the distance on a side trail (e.g. a blue blaze to a spring), always assume their estimate is double the actual distance. "Official" signs are usually more accurate.

I think you mean I-40 to Hot Springs. Davenport Gap is about two miles longer than the 34 miles you mention, acc. To www.atdist.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    this works fine or the data book or companion pages while on the trail - - this question is sort of stupid (pardon me) though - - the math on this is very very simple (i.e. you start at NOBO mile 100 and hike to mile 182.6 and you've hiked 82.6 miles 182.6-100=82.6) You really couldn't figure this out? My 6 year old gets it. sorry to be cynical
    Wow, Papa D. Great job welcoming the newcomer. Man, you must be a joy to be around.

And to everyone else who's advice was exceptionally helpful: Thank you!

However you measure it, the late afternoon miles are always longer than the early morning miles...

If you have the databook then you should be crossing a landmark or some kind of reference point every few miles...or every couple of hours. Its really not that hard to figure out where you are and how far you've gone if you pay attention to your surroundings and read the landmarks in your databook before you begin the day's hike. Know what the next landmark is and be looking for it whether it be a shelter, road, water source, side trail, rock formation, scenic overlook, etc, etc. You'll pass several of these types of landmarks in a typical day.

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Tr...6197381&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Along with the braided armpit hair.
    ,,, and the latest trend over here is in-vitro defoilation.

A couple of things :
    All Silva type compasses have straight edges w/ map scales on them
    So you put your see -thru compass on top of your map ..and do the calculation
    While actual distance is important ; time to distance is even more important
    Get into the habit of wearng a watch and carrying a pen and paper so that you can start building your own personal time/ distance / terrain / weather / packload baseline
    Know that most ppl don't actually hike 60 minutes an hour so all of those neat little D= T*R formulas that assume that you will walk a full 60 minutes an hour hour in hour out will have to be adjusted to reflect your reality

Images

I took a gps on a recent NC hike... I think I'd save the weight and the expense and the extra batteries and just take the pages from the guidebook concerning the area between my beginning and end. Between shelter locations and road crossings and such, you should be able to get a good fix on where you are, right?
    Out of all the hikers in our group, I was the only one with a gps. The others just had maps and a cheap compass.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Cool link Rasputen thanks,gonna make me a speed chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    If you have the databook then you should be crossing a landmark or some kind of reference point every few miles...or every couple of hours. Its really not that hard to figure out where you are and how far you've gone if you pay attention to your surroundings and read the landmarks in your databook before you begin the day's hike. Know what the next landmark is and be looking for it whether it be a shelter, road, water source, side trail, rock formation, scenic overlook, etc, etc. You'll pass several of these types of landmarks in a typical day.
    I've also heard it suggested that you jot a quick note on your map or guidebook page when you pass some of the major landmarks. This aids in estimating where you are now by accurately recording where you were at a certain time. So, if you've been hiking for a couple hours since the last recorded landmark, you can sort of estimate you must be about 4 miles further down the trail (or whatever pace you hike). On trails less well marked than the AT, that can be a big aid in navigating and/or knowing when you might be off-track. (Like knowing that we shoulda passed that trail junction by now so maybe we missed it!!)

Do this enough and you'll begin to learn how much ground you cover per hour on uphills, downhills, flat ground, and mixed terrain. With a quick glance at the trail profile or topo map, I can pretty much tell you in the morning about what time I'll get to my destination that evening if I just plod along doing my thing. If that's gunna be too late, then I can hustle and if that's gunna be too early, I can take some extra breaks or pick another destination.

That's part of the fun of hiking for me.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

watch + dead reckoning

very useful navigation tool/skill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++