WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do you measure distance on a hike?

Hi! I'm doing 3 days/34 miles between davenport gap, TN & hot springs, NC. What is the recommended way to know what distance you've covered?
    Thank you for your advice!
    Eric

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The best way is to have a guidebook of some sort with mileage for obvious milestones (e.g., shelter, road crossing, vista, river, etc.). I don't have time right now but I could type up a list from when I hiked that section in 2009 that should be pretty close.

Lacking a guidebook, you'll need to bring a watch and estimate your typical pace (not the pace of your typical flat workout but backpacking in the mountains pace). 2 mph might be achievable for a flatlander who's in moderately good shape, over 35, not stopping too often, and carrying less than 30 pounds. Even then, your pace will likely vary throughout the day based on energy level, climbs, weather, ruggedness of the trail surface, hydration, etc.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

A topo map?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    A topo map?
    and a compass, ruler and piece of string. (my son always laughs when i put the sting on map where we walked, them measure it and say "we walked 4.5 inches so far")
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

You could always bring one of them measuring wheels and roll it the whole way.

The easiest way is just to have AT guide map pages, and go by landmarks. Basically, mtn summits, gaps, roads, streams, etc. You will never be off by more than a mile or two.

Most accurate way, is with a mapping gps, and a pre-loaded track of the trail you intend to hike superimposed on a topo background map. Its way overkill, but its nice to know exactly how far it is sometimes to x., because once you know your pace, you know how long it will take you, +/- a few minutes. Mine saved my butt a couple times on other trails when I missed a turn.

I always carry a Delorme PN-30 GPS with track recording. It logs mileage, time, and route. I also like to use it for geocaching when my son is with me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Check this out for the Appalachian Trail.
    http://www.atdist.com/
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

GPS will give you a flat distance covered or a rough idea of time, distance, and mapping types give whats ahead.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    and a compass, ruler and piece of string. (my son always laughs when i put the sting on map where we walked, them measure it and say "we walked 4.5 inches so far")
    Or a thumb and finger to go with the map?

Since you are only doing a small section, the AT Data Book would be sufficient.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...d=703&compid=1

I have one and would be more than happy to send it to you if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You could always bring one of them measuring wheels and roll it the whole way.

I heard that was all the rage with European hikers last year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ericrhett View Post
    Hi! I'm doing 3 days/34 miles between davenport gap, TN & hot springs, NC. What is the recommended way to know what distance you've covered?
    Eric
    Maybe the question is a little different. Ericrhett already knows it's 34 miles. The question will be on the trail. "How far have I hiked so far?"

To answer this well, you will need a topographical map. The simplest way is to keep track of the changes in trail direction and terrain as you go along. If you have a compass, often just knowing the direction the trail is going will give a good location. Don't forget to correct for declination.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Eric, I run alot and I have a Forerunner 305 GPS watch. I have found that it works great for hiking also. It lasts about 2 1/2 to 3 days on the trail. Before the charge runs out. It gives a ton of feedback while hiking/running including current pace, distance so far, it beeps at each mile, etc. Plus it has a memory so you can go back through the hike at the end of the day or when you get back home. It is way overkill for just hiking but I bought it for running without having to know distances beforehand. Each year they come out with updated versions so I'm sure by now they get that thing down to the size of a standard athletic watch. The one I have is kind of big, with the receiver part kind of wrapping down around your arm a bit.
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I heard that was all the rage with European hikers last year.
    Along with the braided armpit hair.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
    Maybe the question is a little different. Ericrhett already knows it's 34 miles. The question will be on the trail. "How far have I hiked so far?"

To answer this well, you will need a topographical map. The simplest way is to keep track of the changes in trail direction and terrain as you go along. If you have a compass, often just knowing the direction the trail is going will give a good location. Don't forget to correct for declination.
    I answer that question with "Well, if I'm not there by now, I'd better keep moving."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Check this out for the Appalachian Trail.
    http://www.atdist.com/
    this works fine or the data book or companion pages while on the trail - - this question is sort of stupid (pardon me) though - - the math on this is very very simple (i.e. you start at NOBO mile 100 and hike to mile 182.6 and you've hiked 82.6 miles 182.6-100=82.6) You really couldn't figure this out? My 6 year old gets it. sorry to be cynical

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    this works fine or the data book or companion pages while on the trail - - this question is sort of stupid (pardon me) though - - the math on this is very very simple (i.e. you start at NOBO mile 100 and hike to mile 182.6 and you've hiked 82.6 miles 182.6-100=82.6) You really couldn't figure this out? My 6 year old gets it. sorry to be cynical
    If a hiker skips around and does a section up north and then one down south, he/she can keep track of the total distance and percentage of the entire AT that they have hiked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    If a hiker skips around and does a section up north and then one down south, he/she can keep track of the total distance and percentage of the entire AT that they have hiked.
    yes - I agree, my wife is the math whizz - she does those sudoku puzzles for fun - I made Cs in math - high school through college but I do know how to compute miles hiked - even if a section is skipped - not rocket science says PD

Journal Entries
    Images

Guidebook on AT. Bushwacking pace count. Problem with pace count is the distraction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ericrhett View Post
    My wife and I did that hike in '05. I must be missing something, as it's obvious to take a map and guidebook page and judge distance covered by referring to landmarks. Is there something else you mean to be asking?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++