WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default what have you lost?

I section hike often, and buy gear even more often. Gear here, gear there, gear everywhere! The last couple of times i've gone to pack for a trip i haven't been able to find my favorite shirt and my favorite hat. Anybody remember the Arlo Guthrie song "I Love my Jeans"? Well, I just found the stuff for my latest section hike, and was wondering about the tears shed by others who have lost there favorite gear, at home or on the trail...
    Lazarus

Many years ago my wife's aggressive spring cleaning caused me to lose my original SVEA 123.

Immediately bought got SVEA 123R but I still get meloncholy thinking about it.

That stove was the one piece of gear I could have had, and used, for my entire hiking life.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I lost a brand new GorillaPod I'd bought for my last hike. I actually heard it fall from the pack but it didn't register what had happened. I wasn't far from the shelter either but I struck out when I backtracked.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

I temporarily lose things at home all the time. Somehow I'm always losing the snow cups for my trekking poles, and I have several sets of them because of this problem, but they always turn up...and then promptly get misplaced again.

I haven't lost much on the trail. I lost the slip case for my gps a couple years ago, and I've lost disposable bottles here and there. One time I lost my eyeglasses, but it turns out I left it at a trail angel friends house, and I got those back several months later.

peice of house wrap groundcloth on trail ~ Poplar stamp Gap, GA
    spork, home (unfort, didn't notice until on trail solo and had to stir noodles with a stick, in a related note you can use a granola bar to eat oatmeal fairly effectively)
    tent stakes, home (sharpened sticks work)
    trekking poles, home (luckily they were $13 Walmart poles, easy to replace)
    cell phone, fell out of pocket in hitch's SUV from Woody Gap (returned to Neels Gap by very nice folks who gave me the ride)
    myself, around Rocky Run Shelter, had to road walk about 2 miles uphill to Reno Monument Rd crossing in MD

Nalgene bottle, unmarked trail I wandered onto in MD (fell out of pack while negotiating blowdowns)

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Anybody remember the Arlo Guthrie song "I Love my Jeans"?
    He still hasn't found those jeans.

Arlo_Pool.jpg
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I've lost a lot of things, and of all the things I've lost, my mind I miss the most.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Lost my leki's on stampede trail in AK, used only a couple times. I just hope they found a good home
    "I drank what?" Socrates

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    He still hasn't found those jeans.

Arlo_Pool.jpg
    now, that's funny. i just saw Donovan on TV... he makes Arlo look good even without his jeans.
    Lazarus

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've lost two hats and my CT map.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

still havent found my virginity(i always think about that madonna song-" like a virgin for the twentyfirst time.."

Default what have you lost?

I lost my maps, journal, tarp stakes, tarp ridge line and figure nines, and pocket knife... All in one three day section hike!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    now, that's funny. i just saw Donovan on TV... he makes Arlo look good even without his jeans.
    Hey Lazarus,I too caught that story/show,he was pretty good.I've been singin "mellow yellow" all morning ,can't shake it. LOL.....I left my favorite hiking stick in the woods one day......really bummed me out,it was a gift from my mother and I had quite a few miles on it........not an uncommon story I'm sure.

In 28,000 miles of canoeing and 7,000 miles of backpacking I have only lost 1 item....a sock, in the Hundred Mile Wilderness....I couldn't catch the little bastard red squirrel as he ran away with it! LOL

geek

I lost my water filter in NJ. Must have popped out of my side compartment when I was squeezing under a blow down. I ended up buying way too much water to compensate and had a 42 lb pack when I hit the secret shelter. That was a big lesson learned.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Haven't lost anything except weight out on the trail thus far.

Images

I lost my Marmot rain Jacket on Isle Royale this last year. I laid it out on a rock to dry in the sun and it walked away. Could have been a 2 leg critter or a 4 leg critter. I like to think it was a 4 leg critter, if it was a 2 leg critter, I hope they needed it more than I did.

Water bottles, rain hat, bandana, headlamp, cover case for my steripen. A rain pack cover blew off my pack atop Big Firescald Knob in North Carolina from a heavy wind gust. During a tough bushwack on my 4 day Ozark Highlands Trail hike this past March, I lost my thermarest which I had owned for 20 years.

And then there's things I thought I lost but didn't - bought a new winter hat at Mt. Rogers outfitters and subsequently found mine stuffed in my pack's side pocket.

I lost my camo boonie hat in Ocala National Forest. I know it sounds like no big deal but I had worn that hat for many years on many adventures and as my "Lucky Hat", I was very attached to it. That was 30 years ago. I still miss that hat...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++