WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dog food?!?

Default Dog food?!?

I was recently talking with an old hiker and he said that one trail food he swore by was dry dog food.

It sounded crazy at first, but he gave me a solid argument regarding its benefits (already being dehydrated, cheap, nutritious enough). He did say that he would never eat it exclusively, since it doesn't have all the nutrients people need (e.g. vitamin C). He did say that it was definitely a good filler food though. I did a bit of research, and the ingredient list of most dog foods seems no worse than human food. I was not able to find any information on nutritional facts, however (calories, fat content).

So what do you say? Was he being sincere, or pulling my leg?

I prefer Primate Chow.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I prefer Primate Chow.

And Giraffe Grub has never done me wrong

But in all seriousness... I am very curious as to whether anyone has tried this method?

well...... if you want to give it a shot, HYOH and all that jazz. if you do try it, go with some gravy train......
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but yeah, I've tried it. Worked well, but I found myself taking more breaks to lick myself. Did save some weight on toilet paper though, because I'd just drag my butt along through the grass.

On the AT this month I ate two cans of Blue Buffalo dog food and ended up sniffing the anuses of several fellow hikers. Tried to lick self but herniated my coccyx.

Wooooooof.

I admit to having thought about it, but never tried it. I've read the ingredients on the dog food my dog gets and its better than most people food. Of course I let the pet store clerk talk me into the most expensive brand when I got my dog 13+ years ago.

Most dry dog food is loaded with non nutritive fillers. Dog owners tend to overfeed their dogs, so the companies bulk up the food with things like cellulose or ground straw. It goes right through the dog and I would expect the human.

I read a suggestion somewhere that hikers take dog food as their emergency food supply. The idea being that it would have to be a true emergency for you to actually eat it.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    I read a suggestion somewhere that hikers take dog food as their emergency food supply. The idea being that it would have to be a true emergency for you to actually eat it.

-FA
    That is essentially much of what I have heard as well. And as far as your point perrymk, I agree! I looked at the ingredients of some high-end foods on a whim, and it turned out that they are essentially filler, preservative, and dye free meaning they are much more natural than 90% of the garbage that people eat.

I recently read a very disturbing book entitled Food Pets Die For. Trust me, if you read that book, you won't be tasting any dog food soon. I started cooking for the dog - which makes me wonder what she'll eat while I'm on the trail.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

IF you can buy dog food, you can also buy a bag or can of nuts, oats, beans in the same place. Seems like your friend was making excuses for an old habit. *wags tail

Human food is more wholesome and very often cheaper. Further, human food is produced under more strict health/sanitation standards. Further still, dog food recipes/content change according to the futures market, i.e., ingredients and their ratios change according to what is cheaper/more available. Not all brands do this but some of the cheaper brands in the box stores certainly do (according to my vet).

Finally, there have been many, many stories of poisonings of dogs due to the content of imported dog food. In at least one instance I read, the dog food was made in the USA but some of the ingredients that sickened/killed dogs were imported. Within the past two or three weeks, there have been stories about salmonella caused by dried chicken treats for dogs (I looked for a very old post which I thought was on WB about a camper eating these himself but I couldn't find it...).

All this tells me; 1) don't eat dog food yourself and 2) be very careful what you serve your dog.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Most dry dog food is loaded with non nutritive fillers. Dog owners tend to overfeed their dogs, so the companies bulk up the food with things like cellulose or ground straw. It goes right through the dog and I would expect the human.
    Somewhere I've read or heard,that humans can't digest cellulose,thus we don't eat grasses,very interesting,this is surely a Ruff thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    I read a suggestion somewhere that hikers take dog food as their emergency food supply. The idea being that it would have to be a true emergency for you to actually eat it. -FA
    I carry dehydated human food as an emergency backup. It weighs exactly the same and tastes much better. And I don't like Chinese meat byproduct meal. If dog food is better than "most people food", as you say perrymk, you are eating the wrong people food!

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    If dog food is better than "most people food", as you say perrymk, you are eating the wrong people food!
    I reference this part of my post: "... the ingredients on the dog food my dog gets and its better..." All dog food is not created equal.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    I carry dehydated human food as an emergency backup. It weighs exactly the same and tastes much better. And I don't like Chinese meat byproduct meal. If dog food is better than "most people food", as you say perrymk, you are eating the wrong people food!
    I too have ear marked a dehydrated meal as a back.And I think both,the dog food the and the dehydrated thing are both good examples,cause it wouldn't be the first choice.

In an emergency, why eat dog food when there's perfectly good humans meandering all over the place?

To actually pack dog food for consumption seems rather ridiculous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    In an emergency, why eat dog food when there's perfectly good humans meandering all over the place?

To actually pack dog food for consumption seems rather ridiculous to me.
    Yep,but if it was you and me on a desert Island.......i'm eartin the dog food first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++