WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The REAL Cost of Hiking the AT

I have been reading on several sites that the cost of hiking the AT can be estimated at $1 per mile - so approximately $2200. With a 6 month hike = roughly $12 a day. This seems absolutely incredibly low to me unless you are not factoring in a lot of drop boxes filled with supplies.

If you think of supplies, laundry, showers, and the weekly pizza & beer not to mention the hostels every so often - I'm thinking at least $3 per miles. Otherwise, you're going to need a heck of a lot of trail magic....

Now if someone wants to eat Ramen the entire trip, it could probably be done but this does seem to be low to me.

Someone had posted in the "Trail Moochers thread" (Where you and I met) that the $1 a mile was figured up some 20 years ago so factor in inflation, and changing of the times etc. your probably spot on with 3-4 $$ a day

Correction $3-$4/ mile, not day....my bad

$5000 for a comfortable 5 month walk

But it's sad that this "$1 per mile myth" is still being perpetuated on several other sites. I think I can understand more about the mooching now. It doesn't make it right in my opinion, but it does help to explain it a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    But it's sad that this "$1 per mile myth" is still being perpetuated on several other sites.
    What sites?

Even this site has an article somewhere which states how you can thru for $1,000. But most people here would disagree with that.

By the way, I thru'd for a dollar a mile. Twenty four years ago.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    But it's sad that this "$1 per mile myth" is still being perpetuated on several other sites. I think I can understand more about the mooching now. It doesn't make it right in my opinion, but it does help to explain it a little more.
    I don't think it is so much a myth as something that was true in ca. 1995 and not true today. People who quote that figure just don't realize how out of date it is.

A rough equivalent in today's dollars would be ~$3500 for a modest in terms of luxury, but not bare bones, traditional thru-hike.

Of course if you hike in a 4 month time span, spend little time in towns and so on, $3500 is a very nice chunk of change.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Most of the costs people estimate is around 5K.

I plan on auditing my expenditures when I'm done and posting my real cost to thru-hike in 2013. I will include travel to and from the trail.

I don't really have a budget set for my hike. I've got more than enough saved to not worry about it. I should note that while I my budget for the thru is pretty open-ended, I'm frugal when it comes to motels, food, etc. I simply don't want to think about money while hiking. It would diminish my experience :b.
    Last edited by Live_for_hiking; 05-01-2012 at 11:28.

Assuming that a thruhiker is employed rather than unemployed, retired, or on some form of disability, I would add to the "real cost" the salary that you won't earn during the X-month vacation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

A rough equivalent in today's dollars would be ~$3500 for a modest in terms of luxury, but not bare bones, traditional thru-hike.
    I'd second that number. That would give you town options, rest days and the ability to eat well. You can't spend money on the trail, only in town! The more town days you have, the more you'll spend.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    $5000 for a comfortable 5 month walk
    Wolf..That sounds kind of high. I would find it hard to spend $250.00 a week while hiking the AT.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Years ago hikers went into town every 7 to 10 days. Now it's more like every 3 days...making it way more expensive to hike.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Assuming that a thruhiker is employed rather than unemployed, retired, or on some form of disability, I would add to the "real cost" the salary that you won't earn during the X-month vacation.
    wouldn't the "real cost" destort the numbers even more. now we're above 25K for a 4 month hike???
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Of course if you don't thru hike you still have to feed yourself so at least part of the cost will be spent anyway. The cost will also be offset by the fact that for four to five months no money will be spent on gas and probably a few other things.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Wolf..That sounds kind of high. I would find it hard to spend $250.00 a week while hiking the AT.
    Hah! Not hard to do at all! I've done it a couple of times. Pure luxury all the way.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You are correct. The OP titled his post the "REAL" cost,... then said NOTHING about the "opportunity lost" cost, but only mentioned out-of-pocket cost. Which is very deceiving (I don't mean the OP, just calling it one thing, but it really being another thing altogether). He's not talking about the "REAL" cost at all, so should not call it that.

Can you tell I took economics in college?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

For some people hiking the trail has cost them a spouse or other significant relationship. Compared to that, money ain't nothin'!
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    For some people hiking the trail has cost them a spouse or other significant relationship. Compared to that, money ain't nothin'!
    Did they lose the spouse/ significant other because they left them at home when they thru-hiked OR because they thru-hiked with them and it was just too much?...

Quote Originally Posted by Magua View Post
    Did they lose the spouse/ significant other because they left them at home when they thru-hiked OR because they thru-hiked with them and it was just too much?...
    It's probably happened both ways.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

The hike itself still costs about $1 per mile, but this would be no-frills, just basic supplies, no overnight stays, no shuttles, no beer, no restraunts, no laundromats, and doesn't include transportation to and from the trail. Within this $1 per mile there is ample room for good food and good nutrition, at grocery store prices. Of course many people make a fair and modest living from hikers, and would like to see hikers spend more, but at the end of the day its your money, and it's your hike, and "it's just walking".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++