WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hydration Bladder or Bottle sucker.... Which one do you choose.

I was wondering how many people out there use some form of Hydration Bladder in there packs. I have a Osprey 3L Bladder that I have though of using , with the thought of only filling 2 liters worth , so that the bladder does not "Baloon " out and take up tons of space in my pack. Plus , the aggervation of removing the bladder to refill , is another thought. I like the idea of the bladder , but I still feel as though I need to carry a old Gatoraid bottle for water... What are your thoughts.........

Images

I have a 3L camelback. Im thinking of going to a 2L version. I use the Sawyer inline filter with a second cheap walmart bladder bag to gravity filter. You don't have to pull the camelback out. Just pull the bite valve off the end, plug the filter output into the drink tube, and let it run. the only problem I found with gravity filters is you have to get all the air out of the tube for it to work right. Otherwise it just trickles poorly.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I am 65-yo and have been backpacking for 30+ yrs! I am a Camelbak/bladder user and have about 3-sets. I have so far used the First Need or similiar type water purification all these years with absolutely NO problem!

My 2-cents
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

My son always made fun of my gatorade bottles and one summer he gave me his old bladder and convinced me to thwow away the bottles. To make a short story longer, the darn thing leaked all over my pack and me and I was forced to buy some stupid nalgene bottles for the rest of the trip. I use half liter bottles that I stick all around the pack in whatever space is left. I always carry extra water and have been known to have carried an extra liter that I never even opened.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I use a two liter bladder to sip from while hiking but in the past have also carried a one liter nalgene that l'll use in camp or during my longer break during the day. This year l'm leaving the naglene home and carrying a couple of 20 oz. vitamin water bottles.

I use both, though I prefer drinking out of a bottle. Mainly I just use my bladders for water storage more than anything, and drink out of a 1L Gatorade-type bottle from my hip.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use both - I carry water and a gatorade for flavor packs and vitamin water.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

wookinpanub

I use both. A bladder for storage purposes only, especially at the campsite where the water source can be 1/4 mile away. After treating and filling up at dinner time, you won't have to make a return trip in the morning. I use 2 gatorade bottles because I like to know EXACTLY how much water I have. I ran out once and had to go 5+ miles without. I swore it would never happen again.

2L platy with a bite valve thrown inside the pack and a liter Gatorade bottle in the side pack pouch is all I need.

I had to quit using bladders because I would get too dehydrated with them. I would sip enough to satisfy my thirst, but not drink enough to stay hydrated. Gatorade bottles on my shoulder straps are easy to access, I take larger drinks, and I can monitor exactly how much I drink. A platy soft bottle in an external pack pocket is my reserve.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Journal Entries

Its kind of a preference thing, but I view hydration bladders badly:

1) they are very heavy
    2) they are hard to fill
    3) they are hard to clean
    4) you cant keep track of how much you or others you are responsible for have drank
    5) they could leak in your pack\
    6) where is your redundancy in case of a leak?

I use only disposable water bottles/gatorade in outside pack pockets, or a 2.5L platypus(extra water) in outside pockets for the above reasons. In cold weather if I was worried about water freezing I might consider putting it in the pack to to slow that down, but not usually needed

Images

Both. 3L bladder with Swayer inline and 1L gator bottle for monitoring intake and adding flavor...

I use both as well. I fill my 3L bladder (CamelBak) with ~2L and fill a 1L Gatorade bottle ~ .5L for when the bladder runs dry. I alter the amounts in both depending on the distance. This way, I plan to drink the bladder dry but have a little reserve if I drink too quick.

I like everything about the bladder system except not knowing how much is left. I find them easy to clean (I only ever put water in mine), I've never had one leak, they are easier to drink from when on the move, and they typically hold more than a bottle. I toyed with the idea of getting the CamelBak meter that tells you how much you've consumed but it seems a little cumbersome and gimmicky. Also, reviews on the device are very hard to come by.

Images

Being exclusively a PCT hiker, I use both. I prefer using bottles most of the time because they stand up and are easy to fill, but when I need the occasional extra capacity, I prefer to use bladders that way my pack is only awkwardly full for a short time.

Images

Let me clarify my last post. By bladders, I meant soft sided bottles. I don't like hydration bladders, at least not for overnighters.

I am considering going almost completely to soft sided bottles so that my pack can be smaller when I hitch or am in town. I usually empty my bottles when I hitch and go into town, and that makes my pack lighter, but it's still the same size.

Combo, it's still a work in progress but i think i have it sorted out.
    0421022241.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its kind of a preference thing, but I view hydration bladders badly:

1) they are very heavy
    2) they are hard to fill
    3) they are hard to clean
    4) you cant keep track of how much you or others you are responsible for have drank
    5) they could leak in your pack\
    6) where is your redundancy in case of a leak?

I use only disposable water bottles/gatorade in outside pack pockets, or a 2.5L platypus(extra water) in outside pockets for the above reasons. In cold weather if I was worried about water freezing I might consider putting it in the pack to to slow that down, but not usually needed
    I completely agree with this post - - in the dead of winter, I transition from gatorade bottles to nalgenes so I can make hot water bottles at night, if needed. I' also sometimes carry a small platy or dromedary bag if I know water is going to be really scarce - I would typically keep it empty and use it only if I need to camel-up.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Combo, it's still a work in progress but i think i have it sorted out.
    0421022241.jpg
    +1 I like it,and was thinking the same thing.Do you keep and additional or spare cap?

the biggest disadvantage of using in-pack bladders is knowing how much water is remaining.

I use a bottle in the side pouch with a drinking tube. I can always look to see how much is left.

R

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    2L platy with a bite valve thrown inside the pack and a liter Gatorade bottle in the side pack pouch is all I need.
    Bingo. The bottle is perfect for making mixes from powders. I also carry an extra 1 litre platy that I fill before I camp for the night.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++