WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh1984 View Post
    Hey Folks,
    I'm considering the same sort of hike (in the same region) with a few of my international students who won't travel home over our spring break. So, we are looking at the second and third week of March '12. The boys will be very inexperienced hikers and I haven't hit a trail since my twenties. What can I learn from your collective knowledge and experience?
    Make sure they have good footwear and not lightweight trail shoes. Sturdy boots help to ease the rock problem. I wear Danner boots and love them. Don't feel the small stuff and they give me good stability on the loose stuff.

Supposing I can do 12-15 mile days, how far could I expect to get heading SoBo from DWG in a weeks time? I live in southeast PA, but I'm not too familiar with trail towns in the state. Would Palmerton or Lehigh Gap be too far/short? I'm trying to plan rides, and may have to leave my car at one end.
    "May your path through nature, lead you to yourself."

Palmerton is 35 miles. You might want to aim for Port Clinton, at 76. My wife and daughter and I are planning the same stretch, tho NOBO

I'm planning on doing the section from the Susquehanna to the Lehigh river in mid July this summer as a shake down hike for my gear. I'm planning on being on trail for 6 days/ 5 nights. My hiking legs are good (thanks to the Army), is 15-20 miles/day a reasonable pace for the given terrain? I have family in the area that can provide support should water supplies be dried up and I'm used to the "oppressive" heat, as I currently live in South Carolina. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Where in PA do you live?
    There are probably other good options that could be worth a drive. eg: if you live north-east PA, south vermont is nice option. Or if you live south, several options in virginia

a few hours driving isn't much for a week long hike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++