WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Tick Infestation-Heads Up!

Today, while hiking the AT in Connecticut, with my dog, from Undermountain Rd southbound to Giants Thumb (8 miles and 4 hrs) and we were attacked by Ticks. I am new to backpacking and hiking on trails (200 miles logged) but have spent all of life hunting and fishing and I never seen THIS. I have taken "20 plus" off of me which included 3 embedded ticks. However it was my dog (Jack) who was attacked like nothing I ever seen before. 3 hours later and 2 baths for Jack I have removed 50 embedded ticks and over 200 ticks from his coat. All 3 species Deer, Dog and Lone Star from nymph to full-grown, were accounted for. I am horrified to bring Jack with me again and was near tears picking these nasty "****ers" off my dog. I was wearing long pants, long sleeve Wicking Tee, long sleeve jacket, hat and used normal amounts of Deet. I have the CT DEP's latest suggestions but I am looking for more suggestion from more experienced hiker who hike with dogs.

robbie (no trail name yet)

Good grief. I live in northeast Alabama and we don't have that many ticks but my aunt recently contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite.
    We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anyone tell you any different!
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Journal Entries

Ticks are very heavy in north ga as well. I pull a couple off of me every day. I pulled 10-15 (mostly in the ear) off of the neighbors dog yesterday and 6 off this morning. Going to be a heavy year.

Images

Permithrin. Spray it on all your clothing. I think that's what tick collars have on them. With ticks that bad, I might try to get a permithrin-treated vest on the dog.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have a lab and that's why I am hesitant about taking her. I don't have any advice about what to do but wanted to suggest that "ticker" or something similiar may be a good trail name for you.

Images

Permethrin. Don't repel the little ****ers, murder them.

Not sure how to deal with them on your dog, though. That's just bad.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I also have been taking garlic tabs. Every little bit helps.
    Make sure your dog gets the Lyme vaccine. And use the spot treatment (Frontline)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Check your legs often. I wear light colored pants so i can see them if they jump on i can flick them off. last week i found 5 in a row going across the field before one of the road walks. The more you check the less chance you'll get one to bite you. in a good clear section i pick my pant legs up to check if any got in.

How about "Ticked" for a trail name?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Thanks for the heads up.

Heading out this weekend and will report back.

Images

WOW it continues:-(. We have spent the last hour or so and we have picked and killed 42 to more ticks from his coat... Thanks for the all the advice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Permethrin. Don't repel the little ****ers, murder them.
    Exactly. I want to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Check your legs often. I wear light colored pants so i can see them if they jump on i can flick them off. last week i found 5 in a row going across the field before one of the road walks. The more you check the less chance you'll get one to bite you. in a good clear section i pick my pant legs up to check if any got in.
    That advice can work, and did work for me several weeks ago. I had a hike on the PCT that put even more ticks on me. I was on overgrown trail, and most of the plants I'd brush by would put ticks on me. I'd stop after every one and check my clothing for ticks. I was stressed because my clothing wasn't treated like permithrin like it normally is. After a couple miles I tucked my pants into my socks. To my relief, I didn't get a single tick on or in my skin, only on my clothing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    WOW it continues:-(. We have spent the last hour or so and we have picked and killed 42 to more ticks from his coat... Thanks for the all the advice.
    So no more embedded ticks? How are you finding the most recent ticks, a comb?

Are you not using Frontline Plus on your dog? My dog always gets his on the 15th of every month.

Images

[QUOTE=leaftye;1284050]So no more embedded ticks? How are you finding the most recent ticks, a comb?[/QUOTE
    by using my fingers to going inch by inch over his body-he's a small dog too-3 yr old CavaPooh 22 lbs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Are you not using Frontline Plus on your dog? My dog always gets his on the 15th of every month.
    No, I'm a first time dog owner and I am going to Vet tomorrow and asking for his opinion on it-after reading about it the last 10 minutes I think its a good affordable option...

Journal Entries

it happens sometimes. Some yrs just seem to be worse than others. And some places.

25yrs ago I was home from college over Christmas, and took dog for a short 30 minute walk in the woods near my parents house. In January in North Florida, the dog ended up with more than 50 ticks on it, only a couple attached.. They were all over my parents house after we discovered it. Fortunately they had white carpet, and they were fairly easy to see crawling on the floor. We had to vacuum the whole house. I had a few on me too, but none attached..

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I did a 30 mile out & back at the Big South Fork & found 2 imbedded when I returned, I call my doctor & just finished my perscription of Dyocicylin just to be on the safe side
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I think I'll get a prescription for Dyocicylin before I go...

Makes me second guess going on a hike without a permethrin treatment. Do you spray packs as well? Shoes? Hats? Everything? This is only my 3rd season hiking and Ive never really been too concerned with ticks. I usually hike the section the OP mentioned so now I am thinking I should take some precautions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++