WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Over 60-yo

Question Over 60-yo

Hoping to do a Thru (NOBO) w/the Class of 2013. I will be 66-yo at that time, having retired this year (2012).
    I am a Cancer Survivor and have the standard age challenges: aches/pain, move slower, etc.,etc.
    I have however, been hiking the AT off/on since the early 80”s,so I do have some experience.
    I wonder what tips/info folks have that completed a Thru,who were at least 60 or older at the time?
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Cinnamon (80+) 2011?

Hike your own hike. Go as light as you can and enjoy the experience. Hike at your own pace and listen to your body.

Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Hike your own hike. Go as light as you can and enjoy the experience. Hike at your own pace and listen to your body.

Tumbleweed
    Tumbleweed has good advice.

I'll be hitting the trail next year too, I hope. The biggest improvement I have made is to reduce the weight I am carrying, not only in the pack but on the body. Keep those joints moving between now and next year too - use it or lose it...

Billyboy,what up yo? While not 60,my body feels 70,but having a since of humor can take a body far(at least that is my hope.....and belief)Judging by your avatar,I'd say you got that lickedso here's hoping you stay healthy,humble and humorous!And in the words of my generation,"Go for it Yo"

Images

Try not to laugh at the young guys when you pass them going uphill!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Go at your own pace and don't worry about big miles, especially in the beginning i.e. start slowly. Hydration is important as is good nutrition i.e. better than Ramen. Lots of 60+ year-olds hike long distances. Weary was 64 when he hiked nearly the whole AT. Use trekking poles which not only preserve your knees on steep descents but also build up your triceps and help you on uphills.

At 63, I thruhiked the Colorado Trail last year - admittedly not as long as the AT but replete with challenges.

Garlic
    Images

When I hiked the AT, I spent my days trying to keep pace with Pickle, who was 64 at the time. Best advice I can think of for an older hiker is to work on lightening your load. Pickle and I both had a base weight (without food and water) of less than 10 pounds. We used our experience to practically eliminate small nagging problems like skin issues, gear issues, resupply problems, etc. We ate, hydrated, and rested very well. The hike went very smoothly and we had a lot of fun. What's the old saying--Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

While taking a water break on the LT/AT in 2009, I got passed by a couple in their 60's or 70's and they were moving fast, as I later caught up to them and they were not thru-hiking, but hiking from Mass. border to Hanover, NH, so still a good distance. Go at your own pace, and enjoy the hiking.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I too am heading NOBO in 2013 and with any luck I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday on the Presidentials where 40 years ago i got bit hard by the hiking bug
    My strategy involves leaving myself over 200 days to do the hike - 208 to be exact
    Where practical taking siestas
    Reducing my bodyweight from it's current 255 ( I'm 6'2" ) to 235
    Using hiking poles
    Using a medium weight hiking boot
    Being extremely deliberate when it comes to foot placement
    One thing that I noticed about getting older is that you get injured faster and heal slower

Journal Entries
    Images

Use knee support of some kind. It really helps especially on the down hill portions of the trail which I found particularly daunting. Pause at least hourly to take a few deep breaths it really increases your energy. You will find younger hikers are very supportive, respectful and appreciate your presence on the trail. When you get to be our age HYOH applies to a lot more than hiking.

I was 61 when I did a thru in 2005. As a cancer survivor with arthritis in my knees and weighing 225 to start, I was wary of how it might go. Went slow early, and improved conditioning day by day. Monitored pack weight, used trek poles, wore light knee braces every day. Lost a lot of body weight along the way and finished at 175 pounds. Only took four zero days, but used neros as well to refresh physically and mentally when needed. The physical challenge was daunting, but the mental aspects were far more significant in being able to continue and complete the trail. My mental set was that I would stop my hike without completion only if a severe family emergency arose or I was carried off the trail in a stretcher. I must say that good luck played a part as well. Overcame numerous painful falls and one near lightning strike that buzzed me pretty good. Enjoy your hike.

I am not there yet but many older hikers swore by daily glucosamine supplements started three months in advance of the hike.

Thanks so much my friend! Live w/n 20-mi of the Priest (on the AT) so I hiked to the top this past Thursday! Going up was not bad, but coming down my knees cursed me all the way! So I am hitting the "Y" more than normal in an attempt to build up the body!

Will attempt a number of section-hikes to give me an idea of what the body can tolerate at 65-yo! Been doing the AT since the early 80's, but as you know, age, time and cancer (Bladder Cancer "09") seems to take its toll, regardless of how hard we try to take care of our selves!

You know, I cannot find one person my age here in Forest, that wants to Backpack! Seems everyone here over 50 want to play golf!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post

Tumbleweed
    Amen. Do not get caught up in the need to hike with someone. HYOH.

Journal Entries

I cracked my right upper femur bone this year on the AT. It was caused by a fall just short of Standing Bear hostel somewhere around mile 240. At first It didnt bother me so I continued on. Just six miles out of Demascus I got this severe pain in my upper femur bone and I hopped into Damascus and off the trail. Iam a thru hiker and in good shape. Work out all the time and try hard to keep my body fit. My pack weight with food and water varies anywere from 25 to 35 lps. I use hiking poles and drink two to three liters of filtered water a day. I eat healthy meals and snacks on the trails. I do tend to lose alot of wieght when I go on long hikes especially thrus. In 08 I lost 50 lbs on the PCT and I gained most of it back in a month. On the AT this year I lost 20 lbs in only 465 miles of hiking. I start very early anywere from 5 to 5:30 am on the trail and finish when Iam tired. My average trail speed is 2 mph and I like to do about 15 mile days. Every now and then Ill hit a 25 or 30 miler, but the conditions have to be just right. Remember to listen to your body and take yourself off the trail when conditions get bad. I plan on coming back in 2013 on April 08 and continuing my AT thru. Ill be 71 then. In 2010 I had a 4 way bypass and in 2011 I had a knee replacement and early this year I was told by my doctor that I have prostate cancer. You can do anything you set your mind and heart to do. In 2011 I saw an 86 year old backpacking the JMT with his three sons who were near my age and his four grand sons and his three great grand sons. Thats where I want to end up. Good luck to you on your adventures in life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I'd focus on this post - you'll be just fine - go have fun - forget your age - just do it

Images

I'm not going to express my opinion on Ronald Reagan as a president here because my opinion is likely outside the mainstream and is inappropriate here but here is one funny moment for you regarding age:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhCjMfRndk

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I'm not going to express my opinion on Ronald Reagan as a president here because my opinion is likely outside the mainstream and is inappropriate here but here is one funny moment for you regarding age:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhCjMfRndk
    +1 Papa D very funny indeed,and so very true.Thinking outside the box can keep a body young,and humor can only help.Many would do well to remember that.Laugh more,argue less.Reagans popularity soared after that debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I always laugh at the young guys when I pass them but they seem to always get the last laugh. Thats when a good sense of humor comes in handy.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++