Default Solo Section Hike

Hello all!

I am beginning a month and a half long section hike from Springer Mountain starting next Monday (5/14). I am a solo hiker and have a few questions for anyone who has experience and is willing to answer. First off I am very excited but am beginning to have worries about hiking alone, should I be? I believe my biggest fear is lightening, but let's face it... there's nothing I can do about that. Secondly, I was considering bringing my dog for companionship/safety. He is wonderfully well behaved, in great shape, and has done longer hikes with my mother. Would it be worth it to bring him for the safety aspect or just be more to worry about with the heat?

Is anyone else leaving Springer at this date or will there be others at shelters or am I too late??

I appreciate any and all suggestions!
    Thanks!

I did a section from Springer about the same time in 2009. There will likely be a few late-starting thru-hikers and a bunch of section hikers, week enders, and day hikers. I also ran into a couple scout troops.
    Regarding bringing your dog - I made it to the beginning of the Smokies in 16 days. Since dogs aren't allowed in the GSMNP, you would have to find a place to board the dog or a way to skip the park. It's a big responsibility so make sure you think it through.
    This year I'm starting at Newfound Gap on June 7 - maybe I'll see you out there

Images

Speaking as a hiker, and a parent of an almost-22-year-old daughter:

1. The trail is generally safe. Just keep an eye on your surroundings like you would anywhere. You will be behind the main group of thru-hikers, but the trail won't be empty, and hikers tend to look out for one another. Some general suggestions: Don't tell anyone where you plan to spend the night. When you get to a shelter or camping area where you are considering spending the night, don't immediately set up all your gear -- instead, put down your pack to save a spot and wait awhile. Check out the other folks in the shelter or tenting area. You don't need to set up your tent or bag until you're ready for sleep, and it's much easier to leave by simply picking up your pack than having to repack everything. Listen to your gut instincts about other people, and be prepared to move on if necessary (but realize that many hikers seem a little odd, but are actually harmless and often very nice people.)

For natural dangers, lightning is a concern, but you'll know when to get down off the top of the mountain. Ticks are a serious concern this year especially. I don't worry about bears and snakes, and you shouldn't have problems with hypothermia.

2. Bringing a dog is like bringing a small child. It's a lot of responsibility, and you are hiking your dog's hike, not necessarily your own. You'll need to deal with ticks (bad this year), food, water, pad problems, heat problems, etc. Not sure how much a dog adds to your security. That said, a dog makes a nice companion on a hike especially if he's an experienced hiker.

Good luck, have fun, it's a nice time to be out in that section.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Solo hiking the AT is so not a big deal. You are never far from a road and you won't go more than a day without seeing another person.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Wow, you are going to have a great time! I hiked Springer to Hot Springs solo last summer, and I had to deal with some fear as well. In the end, I had an amazing hike, and I felt stronger because I didn't let my fears keep me from what I love doing, and I didn't listen to all those well-intentioned people telling me I shouldn't be going out there alone. You will probably make it though your hike without any kind of incident, but it's smart to have a plan for the worst case scenario. Everything BigCranky said is great advice. Add to that, don't post your location on facebook or any other place online, including a trail journal. 99 percent of the people you will meet on the trail will be safe... listen to instinct with that 1% you get a bad vibe from, and move on. Be assertive and even rude if someone is asking too many questions or won't leave you alone. I only had one problem like this last summer, and I was probably partially at fault for being too nice and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. As for lightening, just get down off high spots and get under cover ASAP...as you said, not much you can do to prevent that one (as I learned when I got caught in a tornado two miles south of Fontana). If it were me, I wouldn't take a dog, but many people do. As far as company, I met people all along the way, and only ended up alone at a shelter three or four times on the whole trip. I was really never "alone" too much, since I met new friends all along the way. Sleeping alone in the woods was a big fear for me... eventually you get used to the night sounds, but tenting by shelters is good if you like having privacy, but still having people nearby. You are going to come home with so many great stories, and with a sense of pride in what you have accomplished--don't let the fear hold you back! Have a great hike!

These are all great words of wisdom, I am so appreciative. I definitely feel like I can accomplish this and will certainly be proud. Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how it goes!!!

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I hiked this section SOBO in November 2009 and was alone for much of it and did absolutely fine. I did the whole trail alone in 2009 and agree with the above posters that the trail is full of lovely people and a community who look out for each other. Do trust your instincts. Get water first at camp so if something isn't sitting right with you you can head up the trail and stealth camp. This never happened to me but it helped to know it was an option.
    I also recommend ear plugs. I sometimes found that all the rustling leaves would keep me alert and unable to sleep as well. Earplugs take out all the high frequency sounds and were really helpful for me to edit out the noises and go to sleep.
    I hope you have a fantastic trip - enjoy!
    Zipper
    VA-ME VA-GA '09
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

hey pennstatetess, i'm starting on springer on the morning of the 15th! i'm solo-ing it as well. maybe i'll see you on the trail.

If you haven't done so, browse this site for discussions about trail safety. One thing not yet mentioned in the above comments is to avoid shelters or campsites that are within a mile or two of a road, especially if that road is close to town or if the mile or two is an easy hike. Examples include the very first shelter, the one near Fontana Dam, and the one near the top of Roan Mt.

Concerning the good advice above about not revealing your location: if you're chatting w someone in town and have any bad vibe about them, don't tell them you're hiking the AT. If they already know you are, given your gear etc., then lie to them about which way you're going. And, if you write in trail journals at shelters, consider writing some place other than the "end" and only out month & year, not day. When you have a bad vibe, lie. For example, tell someone your dad is picking you up at such & such a road.

I only say these things because you asked, not because the trail is especially dangerous or because you're female.

Enjoy!

Hi -Good suggestions from other women - just remember to always trust your instincts, even if no one is around. I've hiked solo most of my life and as a general rule I never tell anyone on the trail where I'm going or where the day will end. And if need be and something just isn't right, 1) I've been known to make up a story about hiking with another person or meeting someone in a very short time, and 2) moved camp.

There's lots of good threads about this topic from women who've faced the same challenges you're about to face and succeeded in having a good hike. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Journal Entries

You will be ok after the first couple of days. Take it easy the first three days and then your body will start getting use to the trail.

++ New Posts ++