WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking in Harper's Ferry

I'm planning a hike from Front Royal to Harper's Ferry and I am still figuring out the logistics. I'm getting dropped off in Front Royal and hoping to walk to my car that I plan to leave in HF. My guidebook says that I can park at the National Park Center for $6 but they close at 5pm. Is this accurate? If it is after 5pm when I get there, is there somewhere else that I can leave my car for 4 days? I don't mind paying to park as long as it's safe and close to the trail so I could just walk to it. Parking on the MD side of the bridge would be fine as well. Any advice?

You can park for free at AT headquarters, which is on a blue blaze not far off the AT. Someone else on WB can comment on whether 4 days is acceptable for parking there.

Yes, parking at the Park Service lot is free and 4 days should be no problem; in fact, I left mine there for 10 days last year when I section-hiked from Duncannon to HF.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    You can park for free at AT headquarters, which is on a blue blaze not far off the AT. Someone else on WB can comment on whether 4 days is acceptable for parking there.
    So I can park at the ATC? Would I be able to arrive later in the evening or register before I left the car there?

Sorry I confused you since I was speaking of the Park Service lot, not the ATC. I suggest you call them.

You may park in ATC's lot just off Storer College Avenue on weekends, as long as you arrive after 4pm Friday, and leave before 9 am on Monday.

Long-term parking (up to 2 weeks) is available at the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park visitors center, located on the south side of US 340 at the Washington St. stoplight. You must pay a $10 entrance fee, and register your vehicle during business hours. The lot is usually gated at dusk. A shuttle bus runs every 20 minutes between the lower town historic district (where you can pick up the Appalachian Trail) and the visitors center. An overnight parking form is available at www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/index.htm. For more information, call (304) 535-6298. For Harpers Ferry maps and additional information about parking, contact the ATC visitor center or call (304) 535-6331 or 799 Washington St.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Images

Thanks for the clarification Laurie. If Monday were a holiday, such as will be the case Memorial Weekend, does the 9am pick up apply ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Hikers can use ATC's lot for overnight parking on holidays. For the Memorial Day weekend or any other Monday holiday, a hiker could leave a car from Friday afternoon (after 4 is fine) through Tuesday at 9am.

Laurie P.

I will also suggest you check with Laurel at the Teahorse Hostel. She has parking available at the hostel.

Teahorse B&B / Hostel
    1312 Washington St.
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
    phone: (304) 535-6848 email: [email protected]

I'm all set at the Teahorse!! Thanks!

++ New Posts ++