WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default where do PA rocks start?

so i'm seriously thinking of getting back on the trail in HF and moving north VERY slowly to make sure my knee has healed sufficiently.
    about how many miles do i have before the trail gets bad and rocky?

my internet connection is very slow so that's why i'm asking. tried to search but it was talking for ever. i KNOW this has been asked before. please humor me.

thanks

-Pages

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Some rocky areas in Maryland, but short. Worst of it in PA is between Port Clinton and DWG

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

thanks blissful. don't have my guide with me. about how many miles in would that be from HF?

thanks

-Pages

Southern Pennsylvania is really nice trail. Once you cross the Susquehanna River in Duncannon the rocks start, and get worse as you move further north. Once you've reached Delaware Water Gap and cross into New Jersey, you've got about a day of rock-hopping left.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Harpers Ferry Mile 1014.3
    PA/MD Border 1055
    Duncannon 1138.6
    Port Clinton 1207.2
    DWG 1285.3

Like mentioned above they don't disappear once you cross into NJ. They just requre some careful foot placement as many are unstable. I recall at one section of pointing myself towards a white blaze. Walking forward watching my feet. Then looking up to reorient myself toward the next blaze. They are just one of those "insurountable obstacles" that hundreds of hikes get through every year, lol.

Fear the word...... "Palmerton"

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Fear the word...... "Palmerton"
    thanks all, and ah...yes...the superfund site. should be interesting...

-Pages

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy Actually, just SOUTH of Duncannon

That's why I took the photos I did during my hike between Hiway and 850 and Duncannon.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...mageuser=13863

And, I'm hoping this is just a coincidence, but I first noticed a problem with my knee after hiking on this part of the trail.
    With my surgery to take place in about fourteen hours, this fact is on my mind.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...he-best-timing
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 05-08-2012 at 19:50. Reason: Wanted to add link to my blog

This side of the dirt
    Images

Good luck with the surgery!!
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Quote Originally Posted by Pages View Post
    so i'm seriously thinking of getting back on the trail in HF and moving north VERY slowly to make sure my knee has healed sufficiently.
    about how many miles do i have before the trail gets bad and rocky?

my internet connection is very slow so that's why i'm asking. tried to search but it was talking for ever. i KNOW this has been asked before. please humor me.

thanks

-Pages
    Pennsylvania is rather fresh on my mind since my section hikes in 2010 and 2011 covered that state. I thought the rockiest areas were north of the 501 shelter all the way to DWG, and also just before entering Pennsylvania while still in Maryland. To be honest though, I found that the PA rocks are over-hyped. Your impression may be different, but all that I had read for years talked about how horrible the rocks were going to be in PA. Sure, there were rocks, and in some areas, there were lots of them. However, I think that I had built it up in my mind to be much more extreme than it was. I actually found PA to be a fun state to hike through. YMMV.

Interesting...most people ask when do the rocks end? I Some rocks start to show up after Swatara Gap but really intensify after Port Clinton and go until DWG.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Southern Pennsylvania is really nice trail. Once you cross the Susquehanna River in Duncannon the rocks start, and get worse as you move further north. Once you've reached Delaware Water Gap and cross into New Jersey, you've got about a day of rock-hopping left.
    sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    Interesting...most people ask when do the rocks end? I Some rocks start to show up after Swatara Gap but really intensify after Port Clinton and go until DWG.
    kinda the same question,and agree with your description.

The PA rocks that most people are referring to start just outside Port Clinton and extend into New Jersey, a distance of around 100 miles or so. The most severe section in my view is from Leroy Smith Shelter to DWG - a very annoying and rocky 20 miles.

I agree that southern PA is beautiful, with very well groomed trail, few rocks. You get a few glimpses in places of what is to come but until Duncannon there isn't much.

If you are not used to rocky terrain then you will probably think PA is rocky, but it's really not bad compared to some of the places I've hiked. Like anything, personal experience determines alot out there, and it's all relative to what you have seen before. The PA rocks are very over-hyped in my view, but you do need to take care, boulder fields are no picnic if you take a fall.

++ New Posts ++