WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Terrapin Station Hostel

Does anyone know if this hostel, just South of Front Royal, VA is still in operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Dog
    Does anyone know if this hostel, just South of Front Royal, VA is still in operation?
    WF 2003 Handbook says open 5/1 thru Labor Day. Gives phone number 540.539.0509

Smile

I stayed at this hostel for three days after getting out the Shenendoah, while I had to wait for friends to arrive in Harpers Ferry. Very nice place. I was the only one there for two nights and the owner picked me up after slack packing the AT from the Shenendoah boundary to Front Royal one of those days.

Griz

Default Terrapin Station

Have not been there yet. However, Mike Evans is the host and is still responding to email ([email protected]) and taking reservations if it fits with his availability. 10 inches of snow reported yesterday and SNP north is closed temporarily anyway (as of 12/6/03). His phone is 1-540-631-0777.

Scott

(Sky Rider)
    Last edited by Walessp; 12-07-2003 at 18:26. Reason: spelled email incorrectly

I didn't stay at the hostel but ran into the owner on the trail during my thru-hike. He was extremely nice and was a former thru-hker and offered to open early for us. I would bet this is a great place to stay and he would go out of his way for hikers!

Images

Default terrapin station

i stayed here on a section hike in may 2003,mike,the greatful green peace guy is a great guy,really enjoyed my stay after doing a 31 mile hike the day before neo

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

I visited there this summer and I really like his set up and his laid back attitude. I do know that he is operating seasonally.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default visited Terrapin Station Hostel on May 1

I went by the hostel and Mike Evans, trailname is Grateful Greenpeace Guy, is a nice guy and he has a great setup.. He hiked AT95, PCT98... I definitely plan on stopping there sometime when I am hiking...

In case u are interested, here is the info off his "business' card:
    Terrapin Station Hostel
    Mike Evans
    304 Chester Gap rd
    Chester Gap, VA 22623
    540-539-0509 - 540-631-0777
    [email protected]

OPEN - May 1 - July 9, 2005

Directions: From AT going north, 0.2 mile before exiting the SNP (If you reach the backcountry permit sign-in kiosk, turn around 0.1 mi). Go straight on Compton Gap Trail as AT turns left - cement trail marker say "Chester Gap State Rt 610 0.5 mile." Hostel is 1st house on paved road (on the left). Entrance around the back..

$17 night (or $30, 2 nights, Includes 12.5 mil. slack)
    includes free A.M. shuttle to front Royal, laundry, shower, towel, soap, shower clothes and bunks with mattress.

Snacks including microwave pizza, ice cream, sodas and goodies for sale.

tideblazer
    Images

Default Terrapin Station

Wow - great name!

"While the fire lights aglow,
    strange shadows from the flames do grow!"

-RH
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Yeah, after about two years of hearing the name of this place, it was only today that I just got the name (it's 'cause I'm spacey). So of course the proprietor is laid-back!
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

A couple buddies and I stayed at Terrapin Station the night before we began our first section hike two years ago (Front Royal to Harpers Ferry). We were as green as they come, but Mike was patient and gave us a bunch of great information. Also let us borrow a map of the section we were hiking and just asked that we mail it back to him. He also drove us to the grocery store so we could pick up some last-minute supplies and a pizza. I'm planning to introduce my girlfriend to the AT this June and plan to stay at Terrapin before tackling SNP. It's no Bears Den... but it's pretty nice.

Images

Mike is a great guy and his setup is grand. It's well worth a night, especially since it's a 5 minute walk off the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lump76
    ... It's no Bears Den... but it's pretty nice.
    But you are more likely to see pictures of dancing bears.

Great place. Mike is open for the heart of the NOBO season. Very limited availability other times.
    Rambler

Images

I stayed 2 nights last 4th of july weekend when I got stuck waiting on a bounce box Mike is a great Host and Keeps a stocked fridge of ice cream pizza and the like with Shuttle opportunities Daily to get shuttled to town ,Great Reading Materials and MUSIC ,clean with all the essentials it was a nice rest stop , also I worked the weekend at Weasel Creek Outfitters helping them move to their new location which is right Downtown where the old Hardware used to be .Brandon and Wendy were really great "HIKER FRIENDLY" People too and they have a GREAT selection of Supplies !
    They were a little unorganized last year because of the move but their new location is Bigger and they are settled in now . If anyone plans a stop in Front Royal I'd recomend Both!
    Happy Trails!
    FF
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

I was the 1st "official" hiker this year. Signed in on May 1st but there were a few '06 thru hikers that got there B4 me. Met B-Man there. Both B-Man and Mike (owner) were great company. Good place to stop.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Great place, and great hostel owner. One of the highlights of my 2004 hike.

If you challenge him to a game of disc golf or miniature golf, be careful! Mike may take you up on it!

How bout REAL golf?

Disk golf and mini golf is like a vegetarian eating something that looks and is called a veggie BURGER. ***?

That's a very good question, L. Wolf. If he has the equipment, I'm sure he'd be game.

Images

If he is still operating... Ask him about going down the knife edge on Kathadin after summiting, not sure how much he was being truthful and how much was just storytelling but he had us in stitches. To paraphrase Ms. Janet, I don't care if it is a true story, as long as it is a good one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++