WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Walmart $10 tarp

I just came home with a 5X7 coated nylon tarp from wallyworld for just under $10.00. Wieghs 8.1oz, 8.9 oz with stuff sack. Has grommets for hanging from trees or what not. If saving a couple of ounces isn't importent, but saving 50 or more bucks is, then this is a great deal.

Actually, Walmart is starting to have a fairly decent selection of camping odds and ends for cheap. With the exception of a sleeping bag, you could outfit yourself reasonably well there for not much money.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I agree,that a $250 Dyneema pack is almost disgustingly overkill,or that a sleeping bag for $450 is just overkill,but for those that can afford it,go for it.Gear does not have to be expensive to be practical,it justs needs to suit your needs.My needs dictate that that money is better spent on my family,so until that changes,my old 4lb.Kelty will just have to provide....best it can.Currently I use a tent,but have seen that tarp at wally world as well,and for the price,I've no doubt it would provide.

The tarp is fine. I don't expect the grommets to hold. I need to see if my mother in law can see a few loops on it and it'll be good to go.
    GA 80-Miler

Images

The most frustrating thing about Walmart is that the camping section varies so widely between different Walmart stores. Some have a great selection, but others look like they barely tried to set it up and still managed to sell half of it a month before I arrived.

They do have some good things. Here's what I find useful:

aluminum hook stakes
    10" steel stakes
    propane canisters
    propane lantern mantles
    100% DEET
    stuff sacks
    blue foam pad, $8

And supposedly they have Dri Ducks suits and ponchos now too.

Their cord that looks like paracord is worthless.

In the food section they have a tropical mix fruit medley trail mix that has become my favorite trail snack.

The sewing section has heavy duty safety pins. It only comes in a 100 pack though.

Wet wipes can be found in a few types in several areas.

In the travel toiletries area I like the squeeze tube with the rounded bottom and flip top. I keep hand sanitizer in mine...not sure on weight. The same section also has foot powder, although I rarely use that stuff.

Some of the items I listed are for car camping, often when doing trail work.

The baggie section has Ziploc brand freezer bags.

The clothing section has Champion/C9 brand long sleeve polyester shirts and 9" inseam boxer briefs, for about $16 & $10, respectively. They also have convertible mittens for those with cold hands.

On my last trip I picked up some slides in the shoe section for $6. They weigh less than my Waldies sandals, and the Waldies weigh less than Crocs...I suppose I should weigh them. Wearing the sandals allowed my feet to dry out enough in a day to finally get rid of a mild blister that hadn't gone away after several days.

The checkout area has AA & AAA lithium batteries.

I'm pretty sure the automotive section has HEET/ethanol. They also have a pair of trekking poles and isobutane canisters in the camping section for about $30. I don't currently use these items, but it's nice to know it's there.

Super Walmarts are great on zero/nero days because I can pick up most of the supplies I need, especially if they have a well stocked camping section, along with trail food and town food. It's a big time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

The clothing section has Champion/C9 brand long sleeve polyester shirts and 9" inseam boxer briefs, for about $16 & $10, respectively. They also have convertible mittens for those with cold hands.
    I thought WalMart carried Starter brand and Target carried the Champion line.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    I thought WalMart carried Starter brand and Target carried the Champion line.
    You're correct. The same items exist within the Starter brand at Walmart, although they're much harder to find.

Wally World also carries the famed "Greese Pot" tho mine only carries the large one.

The Walmart in my town used to have a pretty large camping section and after the hunting season was over you could get some really cheap polypropylene stuff. As other sections of the store have expanded it has almost become non existent though.

I think the two rows of exercise and yoga mats have taken it's place.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

You'll find more camping/outdoors gear at the more rural WalMarts. Same with the rifles/shotguns/ammo.

And in the paint section you can find denatured alcohol, but it's in a big can. Group buy or home base kinda thing.

I got a small women's "fanny pack" there that's been re purposed as a hip belt pouch.

They do have some good things. Here's what I find useful:
    The sewing section has heavy duty safety pins. It only comes in a 100 pack though.

Yes, the big ones! Probably the most overlooked item. I carry 4 of them. One in my first aid kit to pop blisters and extract splinters, the others as a temporary repair for ripped fabric.

You can get a decent 10lb, big 4, summer starter rig for around $80.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...art_style.html

Plus:
    Stuff Sacks*
    Hiking poles*
    Butane canisters*
    cookware
    butane stove
    Headlamps
    knives
    batteries
    hydration bladders*
    Chlorine dioxide tablets*
    Anti friction stick lube (Body Glide type stuff)*
    Other 1st aid items*
    Sporks*
    Food*
    Sports Drink*
    Hiking socks
    running socks
    synthetic clothing*
    Inflatable Travel Pillow*
    Ziploc bags*

* part of my current gear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I just came home with a 5X7 coated nylon tarp from wallyworld for just under $10.00. Wieghs 8.1oz, 8.9 oz with stuff sack. Has grommets for hanging from trees or what not. If saving a couple of ounces isn't importent, but saving 50 or more bucks is, then this is a great deal.

Actually, Walmart is starting to have a fairly decent selection of camping odds and ends for cheap. With the exception of a sleeping bag, you could outfit yourself reasonably well there for not much money.
    I have this tarp and I've used it a few times. I wouldn't use it if I'm anticipating rain as I'm 6' 3", and 7' just isn't enough length. It would be fine with a bivy, but I don't usually carry one. I carry the OP tarp more for an emergency shelter on day hikes now, and it would work for that purpose if needed. One thing I recommend is to head over to the sewing section and grab some 1/4" elastic band for 99 cents and making some tie out loops through the grommets to help mitigate some of the stress on them. A simple band with a square knot to form the loop works fine and the grommets will likely fail before the elastic will.

Walmart is starting to carry more stuff, but be careful with the Outdoor Products stuff. I had the trekking poles and they worked fine for a while till the adjustment locks failed after a couple months (can't complain too much for $19). At least they allowed me to try out trekking poles at a reasonable price to see if I liked using them (I won't hike without poles now). Some of the other products have not worked out so well and either failed quickly or didn't really work at all (compass, etc).

I hiked 850 miles with a $10 Walmart sleeping bag. And I've used just a plain blue tarp before. Expensive stuff is nice, but not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    Walmart is starting to carry more stuff, but be careful with the Outdoor Products stuff. I had the trekking poles and they worked fine for a while till the adjustment locks failed after a couple months (can't complain too much for $19).
    Did you tighten the camlocks with a screwdriver? You have to do that occasionally on the $150 poles too.
    Had my OP poles for 4 years, except for snapping one in a fall and occasionally tightening the camlock (maintenance) I've never had a problem.

i get saving money and all that, but in the long run i'd say you end up spending more on cheap stuff at walmart than if you just plunked down the $50-100 for something quality (tarp).
    lets be honest everything they sell is junk, and if you actually use it in the backwoods, there will be a time when you are saying to yourself, soaking wet or holding broken equipment, "why didn't i just pay the extra $ for something that works".

im simply speaking from experience as i used to try to go super cheap. in the right conditions anything will work, so yes a sleeping bag from walmart might work in a certain season. but it would still suck having to lug it around and doubtful it packs down very small. also if you buy quality stuff you can sell it later and still get some money back for new gear, whereas nobody is going to buy your walmart tarps, stove, pack, stuffsacks....etc or even the starter/champion shirt, where you pay double for smartwool, but can sell it for something later on, whereas nobody is buying a starter/champion shirt, your out $16, basically what you would have recouped later on with selling a smartwool/icebreaker piece. might as well have decent stuff and enjoy yourself on the trail. maybe a poor example and im rambling but maybe you get the point.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rblee View Post
    ....even the starter/champion shirt, where you pay double for smartwool, but can sell it for something later on, whereas nobody is buying a starter/champion shirt, your out $16, basically what you would have recouped later on with selling a smartwool/icebreaker piece. might as well have decent stuff and enjoy yourself on the trail. maybe a poor example and im rambling but maybe you get the point.
    Terrible example. Base layer clothing and underwear gets a stink and worn out. Resale is the last thing I care about. If anything, recycling is a factor.

Terrible example. Base layer clothing and underwear gets a stink and worn out. Resale is the last thing I care about. If anything, recycling is a factor.
    agreed, that is why i said it was a lousy example, even though you see plenty of merino clothing for sale on used forums. only the top brands of course since no one is going to buy your used smelly poly walmart shirt. i guess the point was to use that example for all types of gear. i guess resale only comes into play when you actually buy decent gear since the walmart stuff will break and have to be recycled, thrown away.

Images

The wool clothing I see is almost always half off or less, and that reduction in price is greater than the cost of a new Champion shirt. The economics don't compute.

Also, not everything there is junk as you said. They have DEET, Energizer lithium batteries, fuel and other items that are the same as everywhere else. Their aluminum stakes might not be very strong, but they're as good as almost every aluminum stake that comes with otherwise quality tents.

You might consider Dri Ducks rain gear to be junk because it's somewhat disposable, but some of us think it's the best combination of rain protection, breathability and weight at any cost.

I will agree that it can be cheaper to buy the best piece of gear the first time, even if it's expensive, but because it means not wasting money on the lesser product before buying the right piece of gear.

I will agree that it can be cheaper to buy the best piece of gear the first time, even if it's expensive, but because it means not wasting money on the lesser product before buying the right piece of gear.
    ya this is what i was trying to say and you said it better. you know what item i actually still have that has lasted? its an energizer headlamp purchased for $5. i also used to buy some mountain house meals there but i think they stopped carrying them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++