WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Massachusetts hikers fined for hiking closed Katahdin trail.

Park Ranger Mike Winslow checked the Abol Trail late last week and found conditions on the Tableland very soft and wet. These are exactly the early spring conditions that would lead to trail and vegetation damage if the trail were open to hiking traffic. Over the weekend, BSP Rangers issued citations to four hikers from Massachusetts who ignored the trail closed signs and hiked Katahdin. As much as I love hiking Katahdin, I don't think it's worth $200 for a day hike. Rangers will be regularly checking the trail and we will open Katahdin access trails as soon as conditions permit, in the meantime, we thank you for respecting our efforts to protect the fragile and rare resources on Katahdin.
    http://baxtertrails.blogspot.com/201...n-to.html#more
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Are kidding? Only $200 for starting Sobo earlier to beat the bugs? (and,drown during water crossings Haha)

Seriously though... The fine is too low.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Are kidding? Only $200 for starting Sobo earlier to beat the bugs? (and,drown during water crossings Haha)
    Seriously though... The fine is too low.
    They were peak-baggers, not ATers. Evidently they hit Hamlin too.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I see this every spring - hikers ignore the "trail closed for mud season" signs. I guess they think it's everyone else causing the damage... not them.

hmm. just for peakbagging that does not sound like a good bang for the buck :-) ... theoretically if they went up Pamola and Knife edge and back the same way then the Tableland could be spared the footsteps.

++ New Posts ++