WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    That's what I use (my brother works for 3M). I use the tube with the sponge applicator. Never have to get the stuff all over my fingers.

Rain Man

Sponge applicator?! BRILLIANT Thanks for the tip. My water filter comes with a sponge that I never use. I got a new filter and with it came yet another sponge. That should be perfect.

Thank you, Rain Man.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Having a sheet of plastic coated in Permithrin would make a good ground cloth for hiking. Its perfect for those of us who cowboy camp or use a tarp, it would keep the crawling insects away. I normally use a polycro sheet for that anyway since its lighter then tyvek and 1 sheet lasted me over 2000miles on the PCT.

As for what to treat with permithrin: And if they are out, they can't bit through it anyway. I treat all my normal clothing that is worn on the outside including hats, socks and maybe shoes (hard to do on a thru-hike when you buy new ones). I don't bother with heavy insulating jackets or raingear since when you are wearing them, bugs usuallly aren't a problem and they can't bit through them anyway. I don't treat my backpacking gear or tents though some people treat their netting. It probably won't hurt if you do though.

I still don't understand why people use a pump or spray bottle for applying DEET instead of the time release lotion like 3M's Ultrathon which works really well. With the lotion, you can control how much you apply and where far better and I find a single container lasts much longer then the spray. That said, the permithrin on your clothes and hat will do most of the work keeping mosquitos away so there isn't a daily need for DEET except when they appear to be a grey cloud hovering round you.
    OK just a FYI, it repels flying insects - gnats,mosquitos, etc.... ticks can crawl through and would take "up to" 8 hours to die. if a mosquito was hungry enough it too can get a blood meal and die later.... this isn't a shield. In fact, when pulling up the label/msds for cattle applications- ticks arn't listed. Lower your expectations - It's a good repellent.

For "Cowboy camp" you still benefit from a torso head bug net - not one over the head - the head covers are for hiking, not sleeping.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Anyone just buy the mix-your-own permethrin? I buy a bottle of High-Yield 38% permethrin and spray around the house foundation every year. It helps keep ants out. It gives instructions for how to make a .5% emulsion (basically a shot glass full in a two gallon sprayer).
    Is that what's in the clothing spray bottle? Id like to spray my socks and shoes, but dont want my skin sloughing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Anyone just buy the mix-your-own permethrin? I buy a bottle of High-Yield 38% permethrin and spray around the house foundation every year. It helps keep ants out. It gives instructions for how to make a .5% emulsion (basically a shot glass full in a two gallon sprayer).
    Is that what's in the clothing spray bottle? Id like to spray my socks and shoes, but dont want my skin sloughing off.
    I believe that some of the higher yield formulations have a significant amount of petroleum in the mix, and are not particularly suitable for clothing. At the very least, you may not like the odor. Here's one at 10% that I have used with good results. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got so bit up - I sprayed DWO and followed it with Bullfrog, sun protectant... and in spite of my efforts (regular clothing) I am covered in mosquito bites, tick bites, chiggers, sun burn, and poison ivy today. Just got back from the back bays of Indian River Inlet from hiking and hanging....

if there was a tiny missed spot - they found it..... So I am moving forward with the soaking the Hammock, a tech pant, and two shirts.... I am going back in two weeks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

After that trip, I think I would go back in February... Ouch.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I just got so bit up - I sprayed DWO and followed it with Bullfrog, sun protectant... and in spite of my efforts (regular clothing) I am covered in mosquito bites, tick bites, chiggers, sun burn, and poison ivy today. Just got back from the back bays of Indian River Inlet from hiking and hanging....

if there was a tiny missed spot - they found it..... So I am moving forward with the soaking the Hammock, a tech pant, and two shirts.... I am going back in two weeks.

There's something about a bug exterminator being eat up by bugs that just makes me:

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    Why isn't this available on Sawyer's website or Amazon? I don't buy stuff on eBay. Suggestions? Or is the spray sufficient to use?
    This stuff works good on cotton clothing but will not work as stated on hiking clothing because hiking clothes are woven so tight permathin will not soak into clothing will remain on surface and when you wash clothing it will wash away. Very expensive just check yourself every night
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Feathers View Post
    This stuff works good on cotton clothing but will not work as stated on hiking clothing because hiking clothes are woven so tight permathin will not soak into clothing will remain on surface and when you wash clothing it will wash away.
    Bull. Been using it on hiking clothes for years. The weave is not an issue.

While the material cannot be something like plastic it most certainly DOES remain in "hiking clothing".
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Consumer Reports says....

Consumer Reports found a direct correlation between DEET concentration and hours of protection against insect bites. 100% DEET was found to offer up to 12 hours of protection while several lower concentration DEET formulations (20%-34%) offered 3–6 hours of protection.

Journal Entries

The can of spray-on permethrin I purchased indicates that treatment will last "at least two weeks." In your experience how long does it actually work on hiking clothing? I'll be doing the Long Trail in Vermont (~4 weeks) and will have access to washing facilities 1-3 times in the month.

Images

Just want to remind everyone that Permetrin in it's liquid state can be fatal to cats if ingested. After it dries it is no longer a danger. It can dry in as little as 20 minutes outdoors in hot humid conditions.

The advertised longevity and effectiveness is 6 washings .
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 06-24-2012 at 19:30.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Just want to remind everyone that Permetrin in it's liquid state can be fatal to cats if ingested. After it dries it is no longer a danger. It can dry in as little as 20 minutes outdoors in hot humid conditions.

The advertised longevity and effectiveness is 6 washings .
    It is advised that you not even spray it in the same house as cats. Spray gets on the floor, cats walk on it, lick their paws, etc.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Bull. Been using it on hiking clothes for years. The weave is not an issue.

While the material cannot be something like plastic it most certainly DOES remain in "hiking clothing".
    Glad it works for you but in my opinion it does not work on hiking pants. Waste of money
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Journal Entries

As I grow older I tend not to use things or chemicals that kill things. Some years I even forget to apply for a doe hunting permit. Anyway, I especially resist killing chemicals. So I rarely experiment with chemicals that allegedly kill things.

I live in a bug heavy coastal environment. But I get by with liquid DEET -- 100 percent no less. It doesn't kill. lt just repells. I mostly use liquid, though I sometimes persuade my wife to spray her pressure spray on the back of my tee shirt on bug-heavy days.

Aside from not having to breathe the spray, a liquid bottle of 100 percent Deet, weighs only about an ounce, and lasts a full season if I don't lose it, or place the opened container upside down in my pocket.
    Last edited by weary; 06-25-2012 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Feathers View Post
    Glad it works for you but in my opinion it does not work on hiking pants. Waste of money
    I'd like to know what your opinion is based on cause it makes zero sense.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++