WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Permethrin treatment/DEET spray questions

1) I purchased Sawyer odorless permethrin spray (although the box isn't even open and it smells like pesticide). Before I spray this stuff, will the clothing stink like pesticide or will it lose it's smell once it sprays on and dries?

2) Do I spray it also on my new backpack and new tent? Fleece and nylon hats? Boots? Or just shirt, socks, gaiters, Trousers/shorts?

3) I also purchased Repel 100 insect repellent that allegedly repels insects for up to 10'hours. ingredients: 98.11% DEET, 1.89% other ingredients.
    Is the % of DEET too high? Seems it.

Thx in advance. BTW, this is for a section hike in central and northern VA.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I don't like Deet but use Picardin instead. I soaked all clothing and sprayed hammock and backpack with permethrin. So far it has worked well.

R

Does it smell or does the smell leave once it dries?

For Deet, anything over 40% is wasted concentration.

My clothes smell very faintly of permethrin, but I diluted my own before soaking my pants, shirt and hat. Sawyer may use a version without any scent, I've heard that it's available, but I've never seen it.

Images

Spray a light mist while keeping the distance recommended on the bottle and the odor is so faint that it's nearly odorless.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

It has a scent, but it's quickly overcome by my own scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    1) I purchased Sawyer odorless permethrin spray (although the box isn't even open and it smells like pesticide). Before I spray this stuff, will the clothing stink like pesticide or will it lose it's smell once it sprays on and dries?
    Zero smell as far as I'm concerned.

2) Do I spray it also on my new backpack and new tent? Fleece and nylon hats? Boots? Or just shirt, socks, gaiters, Trousers/shorts?
    I'd spray pack and opening/floor of tent. Not sure if your hat will hold the material, can't hurt.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Zero smell when dried. I spray it outside, on a large sheet of plastic (painter's drop cloth), then let it dry flat for a couple of days. I spray until the fabric is wet. This year I'll spray all my clothing, both on-trail and camp clothes, hat, shoes, and the outside of my hammock.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Oh, and I toss the drop cloth when the clothes are dry.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

1) I purchased Sawyer odorless permethrin spray (although the box isn't even open and it smells like pesticide). Before I spray this stuff, will the clothing stink like pesticide or will it lose it's smell once it sprays on and dries?YES

2) Do I spray it also on my new backpack and new tent? NO Fleece and nylon hats? NO Boots?NO Or just shirt, socks, gaiters, Trousers/shorts?YES

3) I also purchased Repel 100 insect repellent that allegedly repels insects for up to 10'hours. ingredients: 98.11% DEET, 1.89% other ingredients.
    Is the % of DEET too high? Seems it.

Thx in advance. BTW, this is for a section hike in central and northern VA.
    Permethrin kills ticks on contact with treated clothing. Permethrin acts as a neurotoxin, slowing down the (INSECT) nervous system through binding to sodium channels. This action is negatively correlated to temperature, thus, in general, showing more acute effects on cold-blooded animals (insects, fish, frogs...) over warm-blooded animals (mammals and birds):

DEET was historically believed to work by blocking insect olfactory receptors for 1-octen-3-ol, a volatile substance that is contained in human sweat and breath. The prevailing theory was that DEET effectively "blinds" the insect's senses so that the biting/feeding instinct is not triggered by humans or other animals which produce these chemicals. DEET does not appear to affect the insect's ability to smell carbon dioxide, as had been suspected earlier.[4][5]
    However, more recent evidence shows that DEET serves as a true repellent in that mosquitoes intensely dislike the smell of the chemical repellent.[6] A type of olfactory receptor neuron in special antennal sensilla of mosquitoes that is activated by DEET as well as other known insect repellents such as eucalyptol, linalool, and thujone has been identified. Moreover, in a behavioral test DEET had a strong repellent activity in the absence of body odor attractants such as 1-octen-3-ol, lactic acid, or carbon dioxide. Female and male mosquitoes showed the same response.

So Deet like Deep Woods Off is best as a small Spray up on boots and pant legs. Pyrethrum is a soak for Hammocks and outer clothing... Don't confuse the two.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Oh, and I toss the drop cloth when the clothes are dry.
    why????????????

3M recommends if you are sweating a lot, increase the concentration of DEET.
    I am questioning this logic and haven't seen data supporting this yet.

With my clothing treated with permethrin my need for Deet drops dramatically. I treat my Buff with permethrin and wearing it seems to keep the buggers away from my neck and face. During real buggy times Deet on arms, hands and face still needed but not too bad. I prefer Ultrathon for my Deet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    why????????????
    The drop cloth would take 25-50 washings to wash out. Not everyone is as comfortable as you and me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

How about spraying rain gear?

That was my next question too!

Images

Sawyer's brand leaves no real odor, though keep in mind that some people can smell exceedingly well, others not so. Your mileage may vary.

Depending on how much spray I have, I start with socks & gaiters, then shorts and shirt, then hat and buff/bandana, then shoes and backpack, then hammock and backpack. I use my Tyvek "ground cloth" as my drop cloth for all this. Thus, it gets treated with the side spray and I most certainly do not throw it away.

3) I also purchased Repel 100 insect repellent that allegedly repels insects for up to 10'hours. ingredients: 98.11% DEET, 1.89% other ingredients. Is the % of DEET too high? Seems it.
    Studies show that any DEET concentration over 33% or so has no discernible extra benefit, thus you are more apt to poison yourself for nothing. Sure it's a sales gimmick, but high concentrations are dubious.

Finally, liquid Permethrin is VERY BAD for cats (can be fatal). Keep cats away from wet Permethrin (also keep it away from fish). Once dry, it poses no danger to them.

You can spray rain gear, but the Sawyer's folks day the tight weave and water-proofing act to keep the Permethrin from soaking in or doing as much good.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-09-2012 at 09:12.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    why????????????
    The drop cloth is just cheap thin plastic sheeting, and covered in large amounts of permethrin, which I would rather not try to wash off.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Finally, liquid Permethrin is VERY BAD for cats (can be fatal). Keep cats away from wet Permethrin (also keep it away from fish). Once dry, it poses no danger to them.

Rain Man

you say that like it is a bad thing
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker:1286503
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

you say that like it is a bad thing
    No kidding. Being allergic to cats, permethrin sounds like a good way to keep them away

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++