WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default Hawk vittles bag tip over?

I'm a pretty inexperienced camp cook... Mostly mountain house lasagna, and mountain house bags are pleated to stand up quite well when filled with water. I just tried hawk vittles and pack it gourmet and I am in culinary love, but now have to figure out how to keep the bags from tipping over.best idea I've had is to use my corrugated wind screen wrapped snugly.I'm a gram weenie so I don't want to carry anything extra...what do you do?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

You said you don't want to carry extra, but there's not much of a weight penalty to carry the cut down bottom of a lunch meat container. Mines about an inch tall and works perfectly to keep my FBC bags upright while I eat.

Virginia Tortoise

I had that problem as well. I either leaned the pouch against an adjacent tree or rock or wedged the pouch between 2 rocks. Maybe the gentleman from Hawk Vittles on this forum will take note.

Images

I always transfer to a zip-lock type of bag at home
    They stay upright well and I have a little less packaging
    to carry when I'm done.

I put my fbc dinner in my lemonade jar. Could you use your pot?

Images

If you are using a tall narrow pot, with a cozy it may fit in it. I use a tall narrow and use FB. Put dinner in cozy, pour boiling water in, seal for every how many min. Then rip/cut down both corners of bag and fold over sides of cozy. Also serves as a container to hold onto when it's hot.

AT 2012

...can't use my pot cause the boiling water is in it...and I need the stability help most when I'm pouring the water. My pot is just a heineken can, by the way...hmmmm.

Lazarus

AT 2012

Sorry, I get it now...you are suggesting I use a cosy. I Seem to be resisting getting one. I was Starting to be convinced there isn't a need for one. I may well be wrong.

Lazarus

I started using Hawk Vittles last fall and so have left them in a stiffer cozy to reconstitute -- I just lean the cozy against a log. The cozy itself is a very light thermal packing envelope that I got for free from someone. One note, if you are new to HV. I have never added too little water, but often seem to err on the side of too much water. The lasagna rocks!

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I use an empty Backpacker Pantry bag. It is designed to stand up just like the Mountain House meals. Hawk Vittles bags fit down inside perfectly as well as freezer bags plus the Backpacker Pantry bag works as a cozy and folds up to take up almost no space.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Sorry, I get it now...you are suggesting I use a cosy. I Seem to be resisting getting one. I was Starting to be convinced there isn't a need for one. I may well be wrong.

It's easy to make a cozy. I bought a windshield sun screen at goodwill for a dollar and used it. taped it together with aluminum tape. Just cut 2 circles. Your top circle will need to be a little bigger than bottom circle. Then cut a piece to wrap around the can. I made mine a little short so the top of the can would be easier to grab to remove. Also, make it a loose enough it is not hard to get out.
    After cutting out the bottom (circle) tape it to the piece you are wrapping the can with. Then make a another (same way) but only shorter so it will cover the top and slide down over the bottom section a couple inches. This will also protect your pot some and keep your whole kit together.
    Hope I explained that right. LOL

Hawk Vittles sells a cozy that works really well with FBC. I do change the HV meal to a zip lock FB because the original leaks if it tips over.

The cozy is also great for packing flat bread!

I typically use a 700 ml Ti cook pot. I also built a cozy to fit around the pot, complete with lid.

I also transfer the HV meals into a quart size Ziploc at home, simply because of my cooking style...

When I am boiling my water, I place the Ziploc with the meal in my cozy.
    When the water is boiling, I pour my water in the Ziploc.
    I then seal the Ziploc and place the cozy lid on top of the meal.
    When it has "cooked" I tear the Ziploc at the edges and shape the bag around the cozy.
    Now I essentially have a Ziploc-lined bowl.

Here is a video that shows it all:

...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

why not just keep an empty mountain house bag and use that as a cozy for your hawk vittles?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    why not just keep an empty mountain house bag and use that as a cozy for your hawk vittles?
    now that is a brilliant solution. I did really like Stick's pot cozy, but the mountain house bag may just have to be the winner for lightest weight, easiest to make and maybe usable for something else -- got to think about that... thanks, wags.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    been thinking about your suggestion and just realized the gram weenie solution to eating great food and not having to carry a cozy of any kind is to just always bring ONE mountain house dinner, eat it the first night, then use the empty container for a pot cozy (instead of just garbage) for hawk vittles and pack it gourmet meals on the rest of the hike. throw out when resupplying, and repeat as needed.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    been thinking about your suggestion and just realized the gram weenie solution to eating great food and not having to carry a cozy of any kind is to just always bring ONE mountain house dinner, eat it the first night, then use the empty container for a pot cozy (instead of just garbage) for hawk vittles and pack it gourmet meals on the rest of the hike. throw out when resupplying, and repeat as needed.
    DingDingDingDing!!! We have a winner!!!

Images

that works. nicely done...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

bag doubles as a water gatherer when streams are really dry and you couldn't get your water bottle in to fill it up... BOOM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++