WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Need opinions: Merrell Moab Ventilators vs. Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2

So I'm starting a rather long section in a couple weeks and my Merrell Chameleon Evo's are far too worn out to use anymore (Not to mention I came off the trail on Monday night and they're STILL wet). Either way, I have to buy new shoes on Tuesday. I've been looking for a few weeks and I've come down to two different shoes: the Merrell Moab Ventilators, and the Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2.

I'm avoiding waterproof, as I'd rather have quick drying. Price is not really an issue, but the Salomons are about $50 more than the Merrells. If anyone could provide insight as to which shoe would be preferable I'd greatly appreciate it. The section I'm doing is Springer to Fontana, so I don't expect freezing temps, but I do expect some wet weather. Any input helps.

Journal Entries

Default Need opinions: Merrell Moab Ventilators vs. Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2

My son bought the moabs and loves them. On the same note, my daughter bought a pair of low top salomans and they are very nice too. However, if your ordering them online check the size difference. The merrells come actual size where the salomans come about 2 sizes to big. The salomans are a lighter shoe as well. Hope this little bit of info helped.

Images

I'm buying them in store, and went to try on both today. I did notice a minute weight difference with the salomons being lighter, I'm wondering if that means a faster breakdown though.

Images

I have both shoes. the Merrells were great but aggravated a torn tendon in my ankle so replaced them with the Salomons. Good shoe--NO TRACTION-fell four times on wet rocks and it got dangerous descending anything wet. Replaced these with Montrail AT Plus. I might sound crazy, but need the right footwear for my upcoming Colorado Trail thru-hike.

I wore both shoes on my thru hike last year, the Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2's are lighter weight and dry faster. The Merrill Moab Ventilators have stiffer soles and lasted longer. Most thru hikers will probably be happy with either shoe for most of the AT. Section hikers, people with a bit heavier packs, people going through rocky sections and those who need a bit more support will probably be happier with the Moabs.

Images

Its NOT even CLOSE Salomon... Waterproofing, Comfort, Durability, and Weight!!! I have had both and I would walk barefoot before I put on another Merrell product...

i have had both. the merrells wore our faster and did not give as much support and protection. I did like them however. they were very comfortable.
    the salomons are my favorite hands down. gtx give good water protection - at least for me - and seem to be a bit more sturdier than the mesh style. love the lacing system. and they just scream cool! (though the merrells go very well in a casual dress setting.)

- pages

Images

On my 3rd pair of Ultras. Size 9's fit me fine and I'm exactly an 8.5C on the old chrome foot sizer thingy. My experience is that the cord-lace keeps my foot in place better on downhills than regular laces. I usually hike in light to medium weight running socks. Silt will sift through to your toes, but that's the price of breathable.

I didn't have water proofing in either pair of shoes so I can't say how that effects the sturdiness. My Merrills lasted 800 miles, my Salomans were under 500 miles.

My son has the Merell moab ventilators and seems to like them fine.I got and older pair of the Merell chameleon's and that is the stiffest shoe I have ever worn.I like em but there are stiff,not just lateraly...longituinoodlely.Yep!

Images

I have both shoes.

The Merrells felt good in the store, but broke down quickly soon thereafter and became worthless in short order.
    The Salomons have been the best trail shoes I've ever had. I've forded streams and had little regard for any water.
    They dry quickly.
    I also like the lacing system. Quick, easy, ......one handed.
    I would buy them again.

Salomon -well worth the extra $$!

Images

Thank you all for your input. After lots of deliberation and thought, I think I'm gonna go with the Salomons. For me I think it may be the lacing system that has the biggest draw, as I want something that's not going to make my feet slide around.

++ New Posts ++