WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default What is the "least" friendly trail town?

My vote would go to Boiling Springs Pa. Did some hiker do something bad there in the past? I had trouble even talking to people. Even eye contact was being avoided. My guess is that the town itself is a bedroom community for a nearby city and is full of richer people. Perhaps as I move further North I will see more of this. I suppose I was spoiled by the towns further South. I could tell that the few retailers just wanted me to buy something then keep moving. The little hiker campground next to the tracks has that "keep moving" feel about it. Why else would they not even supply a picnic table for the camping spot? Next time I will stealth camp out in the valley and spend my money someplace else. Are there other places this un-friendly?

Images

the entire state of Connecticut

1+ on Connecticut. I nominate Kent, CT for "The Most Arrogant Town"award.

Images

i hiked through boiling springs in the middle of thru hiker mania last june and never got that feeling. theres not much there for hikers but thats not unreasonable and doesnt make them unfriendly. that there are towns with better things to do than wait for hordes of thru hikers to show up isnt a bad thing.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    the entire state of Connecticut
    I grew up there and lived about a mile from the AT until they did a major reroute. I haven't lived there for m-a-n-y years because I have to agree that about the majority of the state is unfriendly. I go back to visit my sister -
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

I spent time in both Boiling Springs and Kent, and had a fine time in both. It's not that hard to get along with people.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

The only complaint I had about CT was the outfitter in Kent at the time required a $20 minimum to use your charge card (which is against the merchant user agreement). Everyone one else was friendly; a lot of times the attitude you get is the attitude you give.

And the people in the store in Cornwall that gave thrus a Guiness certainly were friendly.

For me, the least friendly town was Damascus because my tent was stolen there (I had it pitched down by the water). Police said locals did crap like that all the time.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I went to the restaurant there in Boiling Springs just last year on my SOBO and they were fantastic. They let me park my smelly backpack in the foyer and everything. I had no issues and had great food.

Salisbury, CT is not sure what to do about hikers I could tell, but the PO there was great. Now the PO guy in Kent was NOT nice at all. People were staring at us with how rude he was to me. I just figured maybe he got burnt toast for breakfast. Yet I had a guy there in Kent offer his office computer to me to use (I politely declined) and the Chinese restaurant loved me (I was the only customer then). Sometimes one sour apple can make it tempting to ruin the batch (or the town).
    Last edited by Blissful; 05-09-2012 at 15:50.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The only complaint I had about CT was the outfitter in Kent at the time required a $20 minimum to use your charge card (which is against the merchant user agreement).....
    Outfitter? Lol! In 2009 it was a boutique clothing store and ice cream shop masquerading as an outfitter. No one there knew what Tyvek was used for and hadn't stocked AquaMira in months......

I often wonder if the curmudgeon that ran the laundromat is still there.

Images

Kent, CT for sure! Have to agree with Heartfire about most of CT. I hiked into one town on Sunday to find a church and there wasn't a single one there... fortunately a man with a collar came into the restaurant where I ate breakfast and took me to the nearest church several towns over. I liked Salisbury because Maria was fantastic.

100% agree with any place or spot or inch of ground in Connecticut.

I'd like to see the AT routed around that state. The description "pretentious" doesn't even begin to do justice to the attitudes I've experienced there.

If I ever thru hike the AT again I will road walk around that state.

ON MY HANDS.

No such thing as an unfriendly town,just unfriendly individuals.

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome to the picturesque village of Boiling Springs. Beautiful scenery, fly fishing, the oldest public pool in Cumberland County, quaint Bed & Breakfasts, plus theatre and local events. Founded in 1845*, but settled prior to 1737, Boiling Springs is a village that surrounds the Children’s Lake, right on the Appalachian Trail. The Memorial Clock Tower, erected in 1956 and the Boiling Springs (Grist) Mill, on record as early as 1785, are two landmarks in the village. The mill is one of, if not the most photographed building in the village.

Boiling Springs was also a site for the underground railroad before the civil war, a tourist destination in the early 1900′s, a stop along the Appalachian Trail. Now a location for small shops, art galleries, cafe’s and restaurants, recreation and relaxation. Boiling Springs is a fantastic community of individuals that are inspired to create that small town feel and share it with anyone who visits.in

I find it interesting that this is their website
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-09-2012 at 21:30.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

This is like asking what is your least favorite flavor of ice cream. I did not experience any unfriendly towns on my 2010 hike. In fact my experience in Salisbury, CT in 2010 was totally different than it was in 1976. In 1976 we hitched into town and the fellow that gave us a ride tried to get us to go to the next town. We were treated like we had cooties. But in 2010 I had a very enjoyable time there. Spent most of the afternoon hanging out outside the grocery talking with locals, getting interviewed by the paper, etc. I had heard from some other hikers that they had run into Alec Baldwin at the grocery and he autographed their Thru Hiker Companion. While we were sitting there, three hikers we knew came driving up in a Jeep. Apparently a women outside of town gave them the keys to her house and car and told them to make use of them while she went to therapy. Talk about trail magic. Also had a good time talking with the locals in Kent. I do agree that the laundry in Kent was not very hiker friendly.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

I expected Kent to be "unfriendly". Instead it was the only town where someone stopped me to ask if I needed help finding anything in town. It happened twice to me in the same day. I think a lot of hikers just expect people in trail towns to bend over backwards to kiss hikers butts. The trail isn't the only thing going on in some towns.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    No such thing as an unfriendly town,just unfriendly individuals.
    agree. 5 thru-walks and 6000 other miles and i can say i never encountered unfriendliness. course i didn't act like i was special for bein' on vacation every town i came to

lots of whinin' about towns near the trail. stay in the woods. you're walkin' the AT. most hikers are arrogant jerks

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with LW- stay in the woods if your social skills aren't up to smiling and small talk.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You're a great teacher.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++