Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default A. T. through towns

    In addition to Damascus, VA and Hot Springs, NC, what are some other towns that the A.T. goes right through the town?

  2. #2
    Nalgene Ninja flemdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-31-2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Harper's Ferry, Duncannon

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-29-2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Dalton, MA
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

  5. #5

    Default

    Delaware Water Gap,PA

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-11-2010
    Location
    chapel hill, nc
    Age
    64
    Posts
    84

    Default A trail runs through it

    Quote Originally Posted by seadawg View Post
    In addition to Damascus, VA and Hot Springs, NC, what are some other towns that the A.T. goes right through the town?
    AT GOES THROUGH THESE TOWNS:

    From south to north

    Hot Springs, NC.
    Damascus, VA
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Boiling Springs, PA
    Duncannon, PA
    Port Clinton, PA
    Dalton, MA
    Hanover, NH

    Well know Trail Towns near the AT would be a different list.

  8. #8
    Registered User Southerner's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-03-2012
    Location
    Troutville, Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I would add Pearisburg, Va. to the list. The trail may not go right down Main Street, but it does go through the town limits, crosses several of the town's streets, and hikers can access many of the town's resources with minimal or no deviation from the AT.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,321
    Images
    1

    Default

    cheshire, ma

    and does crossing one fairly major road where there are services within sight of the trail count as "through town"? if so theres oodles more.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    cheshire, ma

    and does crossing one fairly major road where there are services within sight of the trail count as "through town"? if so theres oodles more.
    Would really like to see a list of those as well.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,321
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Would really like to see a list of those as well.

    easiest thing would be to get the thru hikers companion then.

  12. #12
    Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Join Date
    05-11-2006
    Location
    Titusville, FL
    Posts
    196
    Images
    13

    Default

    This is the list of towns for which there is a map in The A.T. Guide, listed south to north. These might be considered the “primary” trail towns, though there’s more than any one thru-hiker would visit. I put a * in front of the ones that the trail goes right through. The trail skirts Wind Gap, PA and Salisbury, CT. It goes between Elk Park/Roan Mtn, Bear Mtn/Fort Montgomery, and Williamstown/N. Adams and some “stuff” is very near the trailhead. An even longer list of trail towns would be the list of POs: http://theatguide.com/PostOffices.html

    Hiawassee, GA
    Franklin, NC
    Fontana Village, NC
    Gatlinburg, TN
    *Hot Springs, NC
    Erwin, TN
    Roan Mtn, TN
    Elk Park, TN
    Hampton, TN
    *Damascus, VA
    Marion, VA / Troutdale, VA (area map)
    *Atkins, VA
    *Pearisburg, VA
    *Daleville, VA
    Buena Vista, VA
    Waynesboro, VA
    Luray, VA
    Front Royal, VA
    *Harpers Ferry, WV
    Waynesboro, PA / Blue Ridge Summit, PA / Cascade, MD (area map)
    *Boiling Springs, PA
    *Duncannon, PA
    Lickdale, PA
    Pine Grove / Bethel, PA (area)
    *Port Clinton, PA
    Hamburg, PA
    Slatington / Walnutport, PA
    Palmerton, PA
    Wind Gap, PA
    *Delaware Water Gap, PA
    *Branchville, NJ
    Unionville, NY
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    Fort Montgomery & Bear Mtn, NY
    Kent, CT
    Falls Village, CT
    Salisbury, CT
    Great Barrington, MA
    *Dalton, MA
    *Cheshire, MA
    Williamstown, MA
    North Adams, MA
    Bennington, VT
    Manchester Center, VT
    Rutland, VT
    Killington, VT (area)
    *Hanover, NH
    North Woodstock & Lincoln, NH
    Gorham, NH
    Rangeley, ME
    Stratton, ME
    Monson, ME
    Millinocket, ME

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,321
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awol2003 View Post
    This is the list of towns for which there is a map in The A.T. Guide, listed south to north. These might be considered the “primary” trail towns, though there’s more than any one thru-hiker would visit. I put a * in front of the ones that the trail goes right through. The trail skirts Wind Gap, PA and Salisbury, CT. It goes between Elk Park/Roan Mtn, Bear Mtn/Fort Montgomery, and Williamstown/N. Adams and some “stuff” is very near the trailhead. An even longer list of trail towns would be the list of POs: http://theatguide.com/PostOffices.html


    *Branchville, NJ

    umm.... no. at least not with a * in front of it. where the trail crosses culvers gap at 206 might technically be branchville, but it is nowhere near town.

  14. #14
    Registered User kofritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-19-2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    59
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Carlisle, PA with the great bridge over Hwy 11.

  15. #15

    Default

    West Hartford, VT--was it omitted intentionally because of Irene damage last fall? Nothing was open when we hiked through last October--is that still the case?

    Laurie P.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    West Hartford, VT--was it omitted intentionally because of Irene damage last fall? Nothing was open when we hiked through last October--is that still the case?

    Laurie P.
    The West Hartford Village Store was rebuilding this past winter and should be open for business. The library is another story. Not sure when it might reopen.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

    Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

    http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

  17. #17
    Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Join Date
    05-11-2006
    Location
    Titusville, FL
    Posts
    196
    Images
    13

    Default

    The West Hartford PO and Library are closed and I was told (just a couple weeks ago) that neither would be open this summer. The Village store *is* open and, since the PO is closed, they've added maildrops to their list of services.

  18. #18

    Default

    Good to know, AWOL.

  19. #19
    Registered User Moose2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-24-2002
    Location
    Utah - But my heart's still in Vermont!
    Age
    64
    Posts
    901
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kofritz View Post
    Carlisle, PA with the great bridge over Hwy 11.
    And a KILLER resturant on the north side of the bridge!!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •