WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default VERY Early 2014 Question

I know it's pretty far out, but figured I'd go ahead and ask. Anybody planning to do a NOBO thru in 14? I'll be graduating college in 13 and have recently decided that I'll be taking a year off to do this. Might be accompanied by good friend and past thru hiker Dark Star. It would be cool to chat with some of you who are planning on doing the same year. Also, if there are any hammock fans on here it would be super cool if you could throw some advice my way in terms of UL under quilts and top quilts. Know the basics but would like to hear what kind of setups thru hikers have used successfully. Thanks guys!!

Images

Strongly considering a 2014 NoBo. I'll graduate from Nursing school in December, and my mother has tentatively agreed to finance my attempt as a graduation gift.

Been planning for a 2013 NoBo but unfortunately my plans will have to be postponed until 2014. Had problems with registration for my last semester of nursing school (Hey Veetack!) and it looks like I wont be graduating until the end of May 2013. Been dreaming of thru-hiking the AT for years and I think this will be the optimal time to do it; right after graduation and right before I embark on my career.

Earlier this year, I purchased the Hennessy Ultralite Asym Classic as well as their Supershelter Insulation System. To test out my new gear, I visited a friend that rented Sugar Knob Cabin (part of the PATC system) in Virginia. I went during the last week of January and that night the temps dropped to about 15 degrees with sleet/rain on and off. I slept dry and warm with the whole system in place, a 20 degree bag, and a thermal top & bottom. In the morning, there was about an inch of snow on the ground. I could hardly believe it because of how well I slept. I cant compare this system to others because it is my first hammock but I will definitely bring it with me on the AT. Hope that helps
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all
    - Helen Keller

Sorry it took me so long to get back on and read the responses. Thanks for the links Winds!! I'll definitely check them out. Veetak and Eva, I'll pm you guys about '14!

Was originally planning on 2015, but now I'm seriously leaning towards 2014...

Walking the approach trail on Monday, the 10th of March. Well, at least that's my plan.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Awesome! I really can't contain my excitement for over a year and a half. Guess I'll just have to obsess over gear and shedding weight to pass the time!

2014 sobo!

2014 NOBO is the plan, which is very early in its germination.

I'm planning on a '14 NOBO. Mid March probably.

March 29 unless its raining. Then I'll leave the next weekend.

As of now, I'm planning a 2014 NOBO thru. Haven't figured out what my tentative start date is yet, but it's probably going to be either one of the earliest reasonable times or latest. Like most people, I have a whole list of things that have to be balanced, juggled, planned for, etc. to make this happen, so we'll see how it ends up. But yeah, 2014 here we come.

I'm seriously considering it. However my contract with the Navy doesn't end until August. I'm hoping I can get at least a three month cutt of of it. I hope I can get 6, that'd be swell. If you want, email me and we can talk logistics. I live down here in Florida and plan on moving to the Tallahassee area before I do go.

I am also tentatively planning a NOBO for 2014. I am a DoD Contractor working on my first year-long contract in Western Africa...which concludes April 30th of 2013. I have already decided to sign a second year agreement for 2013-2014 that will also end on April 30th 2014. Should be no problem being released from the contract around the first part of February though...and that will give me enough time to get home, do a couple of overnights/multi-days to finalize what gear from my current stash I will take/replace/exclude. Hope to see you all out there --YoungSon

I'm planning a 2014 NOBO attempt. The original date was later than that, but I figured out a way to get on the trail in 2014. Looking forward to anticipating with all of you.

Ive began preparing for my NOBO 2014 thru hike attempt. As of now I am looking at mid march to april 1st as departure date. If all goes as planned I'll see you guys out there. Heres to preparation and anticipation.

Images

Default NoBo 2014

Quote Originally Posted by badondu View Post
    I know it's pretty far out, but figured I'd go ahead and ask. Anybody planning to do a NOBO thru in 14? I'll be graduating college in 13 and have recently decided that I'll be taking a year off to do this. Might be accompanied by good friend and past thru hiker Dark Star. It would be cool to chat with some of you who are planning on doing the same year. Also, if there are any hammock fans on here it would be super cool if you could throw some advice my way in terms of UL under quilts and top quilts. Know the basics but would like to hear what kind of setups thru hikers have used successfully. Thanks guys!!
    It's nice to see others planning ahead for a 2014 thru-hike. I'm looking to start as early as can be done reasonable and safely, in fact, I'm looking for advice on that.

A buddy and I have a tentative plan for an early April NOBO in 2014. Gotta gear up, save up, and shape up first.

Images

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! I graduated this year and am planning a thru-hike for next year starting on April 1. I use a Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Hammock coupled with the Hennessy Supershelter four-season insulation System. I tested it out up in Tuolumne (Yosemite) a week ago with temps down to freezing and I slept comfortably with a 15 degree down bag. In fact, I slept like a baby which is why I love my hammock so much - so dang comfortable!

++ New Posts ++