WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Cell phone reception on the Long Trail?

I'm sixteen years old, and I'm planning an end-to-end hike this summer. Given my age, my parents are concerned that they won't be able to contact me very often due to poor cell phone reception. What parts of the trail have strong reception; what parts do not? This would be very helpful because I don't want my parents worrying about me even more than they already will be

Journal Entries
    Images

search on spot and https://www.findmespot.com/en/ <<< Click there.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    I'm sixteen years old, and I'm planning an end-to-end hike this summer. Given my age, my parents are concerned that they won't be able to contact me very often due to poor cell phone reception. What parts of the trail have strong reception; what parts do not? This would be very helpful because I don't want my parents worrying about me even more than they already will be
    You should get reception at major road crossings, likely at the summits and some ridges if they face in the correct direction, but then a lot of people would like a break from hearing others chatting on a cell-phone. I had reception at Puffer Shelter.

Images

Verizon has good reception on Stratton Mt and also Stratton Pond Shelter. Also, poor to no reception at the VT11/30 trailhead at Manchester Center.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    You should get reception at major road crossings, likely at the summits and some ridges if they face in the correct direction, but then a lot of people would like a break from hearing others chatting on a cell-phone. I had reception at Puffer Shelter.
    Don't worry, I won't be just sitting there chatting away 24/7! Just once a day to quickly check up.

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    Don't worry, I won't be just sitting there chatting away 24/7! Just once a day to quickly check up.
    You don't want people at home worrying if you don't check in at a set time every day, so make it clear to them that there may be days when there simply is no reception and not hearing from you doesn't mean you've vanished off the face of the earth. On the other hand, if you pull out your phone and try it when atop peaks or hiking along a ridge, you will often get service and can at least send a text or short email to let them know you're okay. Don't wait until you are in camp in the evening, as most campsites / shelters are down low and are less likely to have a signal.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Verizon has much better coverage in the north than it used to. Pretty sure all of the peaks are covered, but not all the valleys or road crossings. I think you'll have solid coverage from Camels hump to VT 15 (other than the occasional small dead spot). VT 118 has spotty coverage at the crossing but you can get coverage as you ascend Belvidere Mt. Hazens Notch has no signal last I checked. VT 242 has coverage and VT 105 will bounce off Canadian towers if you walk a little east or west of the crossing.

Once you are past Belvidere Mt, your phone starts bouncing off Canadian towers and you'll see some oddball roaming/international charges on you statement.....and your voicemail menu will be in french. I learned the hard way to shut off roaming when driving near the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Don't wait until you are in camp in the evening, as most campsites / shelters are down low and are less likely to have a signal.
    This is true....not sure if by design or coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    This is true....not sure if by design or coincidence.
    Design maybe.Water flows down hill,thus water near where you sleep-for the days journey.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've found reception to be generally good on the ridges, poor in the valleys. Some places, like Jay Peak, you can get a good signal with just your braces.

A few years ago unicell came through and set up towers at some of the ski resorts, and then AT&T bought them out. So if you have clear line of sight to a ski slope, it improves your chances. There was one time I recall standing on a picnic table with my cellphone held up above my head to get reception.

Images

Thanks guys!

I have NO idea how you would schedule this - but make sure it isn't with THEM contacting you.
    That will at minimum give you the leeway when you can find a decent signal.

Images

Keep it turned off if not using it. Batteries burn up quick searching for signal

Have them send you a text message. When you can get a signal, you'll receive the message and be able to respond if there any emergencies at home, etc.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

Old school was post cards and that was a PITA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    I have NO idea how you would schedule this - but make sure it isn't with THEM contacting you.
    That will at minimum give you the leeway when you can find a decent signal.
    Yeah don't worry, it would be me contacting them whenever I could find a chance, and they are well aware that if I don't call due to lack of signal that it isn't a big deal...

Images

like others have said, you should be able to check in most every day - - I'd say that overall reception (depending on your provider) is about 40-50% - - the higher mountain tops such as Stratton, Bromley, Killington, Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield, Madonna Peak, Belvedere, Jay Peak, etc. should all have no problem with reception. You could also get a "spot device" but I'm not sure that I'd spend the money on that thing - - congrats on the LT End to End - - you'll be fine and do well. FYI, I end to ended in 2010 with a small crew of high school folks - - private message me if you want some additional help. Cheers!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    like others have said, you should be able to check in most every day - - I'd say that overall reception (depending on your provider) is about 40-50% - - the higher mountain tops such as Stratton, Bromley, Killington, Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield, Madonna Peak, Belvedere, Jay Peak, etc. should all have no problem with reception. You could also get a "spot device" but I'm not sure that I'd spend the money on that thing - - congrats on the LT End to End - - you'll be fine and do well. FYI, I end to ended in 2010 with a small crew of high school folks - - private message me if you want some additional help. Cheers!
    Thanks! Might take you up on that, my planning is almost done but it is always nice to have that last minute reassurance.

++ New Posts ++