WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don't remember seeing that one. It's certainly not signposted. If it were me, I'd take the sure thing water from the stream rather than hope I can find the spring and that it's flowing. A lot of the trail from Deep Gap to the top of SI is an old road to service the fire tower which used to be at the top. So the grade is pretty undemanding.

Images

I don't remember seeing that one. It's certainly not signposted

it's blue blazed...........

at the intersection of the AT and the side trail up to the summit, there's a blue blazed trail that leads to a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    it's blue blazed...........

at the intersection of the AT and the side trail up to the summit, there's a blue blazed trail that leads to a spring.
    Correct. However, there is another trail branching off right by it leading back to the SI campground. I cannot recall it's name right now, but I understand it's very steep. This area can be confusing with no signage. Heck, even the "trail" leading off to SI summit from the AT is not clearly marked.

Images

i dont have a map in front of me but i believe that's long branch trail..............

and i think that one has a sign.........

i didnt have any problem distinguishing the two when i was there in october----i just figured the blue blaze would take me to water and sure enough, it did........

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i dont have a map in front of me but i believe that's long branch trail..............

and i think that one has a sign.........

i didnt have any problem distinguishing the two when i was there in october----i just figured the blue blaze would take me to water and sure enough, it did........
    I checked...believe it's the Lower Ridge Trail that leads back to the campground from near the SI mtn summit.

Images

yeah........that sounds right............i was looking at google maps, and saw there was a long branch stream and someone that triggered my memory......

i took that way down to the campground after staying the night at the summit.........

not much on that trail---i think i passed one campsite-----and no water til the near end............

Just back from an overnight to Standing Indian Mountain. I came up Kimsey Creek. Water source near SI Mtn was good. Going north on the AT the water source is on a blue blazed trail to the left just prior to the SI side trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

aka Kudzu
    Images

It's always amazed me how those pipes grow out of the ground. Nature is amazing.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hiking this loop this weekend. Any work on water between Deep Gap and Long Branch?

I would suspect a short walk down Kimsey Trail would yield some water.

I am interested in this info too. Especially the small stream that crosses the trail north of Beech Gap, the water source at Carter Gap shelter, and the water source (culvert) at Mooney Gap. Thanks.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

What about the spring at the old Big Spring shelter site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Going to do this loop at the end of the month. Any new info or suggestions from hikers who did it in 2017?

I haven't been out there since last year. I may be out there in a few weeks, though. I recall someone telling me there was some more blow-down on Kimsey Creek Trail, though.

If you find it useful here is a map I put together for a friend. I had used an older map that was a little harder to follow as inspiration. The trails marked blue with orange are trails I have done.

StandingIndianAreaLoops2.png

SI loop is a fav. Near the base of the Albert Mt. old firetower there's a small memorial plaque in dedicated to someone who apparently frequented the area and loved it. Been a few years since I was there but chancing upon that made for a poignant moment in the hike.

Planning to do this next weekend, Fri-Sun, but have never been to the area.

I know most people suggest parking at the backcountry kiosk and hike counter-clockwise. I expect we won't arrive until later Friday evening, but I'd like to camp near the top of SI Mtn. Is there any issue with parking at the Deep Gap parking area and starting from there? I think this would get us up SI Mtn. at a more reasonable time than if we start down in SI campground.

Quote Originally Posted by redgun24 View Post
    Is there any issue with parking at the Deep Gap parking area and starting from there?
    Last May, I parked in SI Campground, hiked up Kimsey Creek and camped overnight next to the SI Shelter. As I recall, there were several cars parked at the Deep Gap parking area. I'm not sure how many parking spots there are at that parking area. Also, I'm not sure if there have ever issues with vehicle safety there. Parking at Deep Gap would get you to the top of Standing Indian Man quicker though.

Here's some info:
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...ep-Gap-Parking

This video (I believe) shows the parking area...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PSzOvRF4w4

Let us know how it goes! I'm headed up that way towards the end of the month.

I've parked at Deep Gap before and from what I understand there haven't been many issues. There is a lot of people coming and going there. Shuttles etc. So it's a viable option. It's a relatively short hike to the SI Shelter from Deep Gap so if you're running late for your start that might work out for you.

How did it go, Redgun24 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by redgun24 View Post

I know most people suggest parking at the backcountry kiosk and hike counter-clockwise. I expect we won't arrive until later Friday evening, but I'd like to camp near the top of SI Mtn. Is there any issue with parking at the Deep Gap parking area and starting from there? I think this would get us up SI Mtn. at a more reasonable time than if we start down in SI campground.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++