WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

Default Which Wood Burning Stove Do You Prefer?

I'm looking to switch from an alcohol stove to wood burning. I would prefer something ultralight (under 5oz) and one that I can use my existing pot (Ti 4.7 oz, 0.9 liters) with. I have saved up a large ziplock bag of dryer lint (pictured) that weights 3.1 oz and should last several months. I am considering the Evernew Ti DX.

IMG_0854.jpg

Which wood burning stove do you like best and why?

You can check these out, burns wood, esbit or alcohol. At 2.5 oz one of the lightest and no assembly required, from what I have read they seem to be very good. http://fourdog.com/bushcooker-lt/
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

caldera cone from traildesigns.com

Images

Emberlit-UL or El Mini

http://emberlit.com/buy.php
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Ti-Tri Sidewinder from Trail Designs. Burns wood, esbit or alcohol. Whenever I primarily use it for wood burning mode, I always take the alcohol stove and a couple of oz of fuel as a backup (wet wood is a PITA). Even with the alcohol stove and the stakes necessary, it still falls well under your 5oz requirement.
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

Images

All of the above are good options. Consider a BushBuddy too. It's efficient, light, and a work of art.

+1

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/woodgaz...king-stove.php

I use it with the Super Stove, or, the Companion Stove (melts snow) if no wood is available.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    +1

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/woodgaz...king-stove.php

I use it with the Super Stove, or, the Companion Stove (melts snow) if no wood is available.
    I can't believe I didn't think of that one too. Although I haven't used mine recently, I agree that it's a great choice and it is the easiest to pack of all the stoves listed.

I too am thinking about adding a wood burner to my stove collection. After researching all the ones mentioned above I keep going back to the Emberlit UL. Priced right and doesn't look like some POC built in someone's garage.

As a wood burning stove maker myself, I would recommend you take a look at the Emberlit Mini or UL, the Ti Tri Caldera Cone, the Bushbuddy, the Woodgaz, and the FireFly, not necessarily in the order listed. Each of these stoves have a group of very happy users that can tell you how happy they are. They all have their strong points and weak points. One of them is likely to be the stove for you. I think all of these have some kind of option for using Esbit or alcohol as a backup fuel, which is something to consider, especially if your hiking takes you above tree line at times or into and out of areas with fire bans that include a ban on wood burning stoves.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I chose the Emberlit El-Mini. No need for a pot stand, windscreen or alcohol! Got a fire started first try.
    IMG_0872.jpg

Images

I handled the Vargo Titanium at Trail Days. It had a good feel but I didn't get to test it. It would have been my second choice.

Third or fourth on the Emberlit-UL. I sold my other wood burners after buying and using the Emberlit-UL. That and a Trangia alcohol burner are perfect for me.

I've built small wood fires in my Clikstand (drank all my ethanol). Works OK

I just did over 400 miles with my Emberlit and was very happy with it. I wouldn't choose any woodburner that doesn't come apart and fold flat. I was able to carry the Emberlit along with a water bottle in the side pouch of my Osprey. I do find the Firefly to be also quite interesting.

Cat in the hat

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    With the hinges and six sides, it looks to be a heavier, more complicated version of the Emberlit.

Journal Entries
    Images

VG I never heared of it, so I looked it up

Here you go folks...http://www.clikstand.com/
    home1c.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

In order of preference and weight: Woodgaz, Bushbuddy, Sierra Titanium, Woodgas, & Biolite. I prefer the latter two because the companies donate sales charitably. The Biolite also does multi-function, recharging devices during use. Zelph has also done charitable work with his alcohol stoves, specifically the Mangold Mamba so I'm sure he's open to that with his wood burners.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++